1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I agree we are in no position to give away picks - we have to find the next up and coming young dynamic Sean Peyton. Not over pay for the old one.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I thought he couldn't interview until the 17th, so I'm not sure.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

There is zero scenario where the #12 pick is more valuable than Sean Payton. None. Stick prime Aaron Donald on last years team and … what? Are we contenders? Hell no.

Stick a proven coach (plus coaching staff) in there to improve the culture and change the narrative throughout the league and now we’re a destination for free agents, likely on TV again, etc. The perception shift alone is likely worth the pick.

Just like with baseball prospects, there’s a segment of the internet that enjoys the fantasy of building a team more than actually putting a winning product on the field. A lot of you are falling into this category.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That Browns pick may be pretty high again.

5. Two Sandwiches

As much as I don't want to, I agree with this.

That being said, if it's going to cost us our second first round pick this year, I'd do everything I could to trade back and pick up an additional pick before trading it, or I'd try and trade next year's Browns pick, which will likely be closer to 20, or higher.

6. Buck Turgidson

Do yall really want Sean Payton as the HC/GM of the Texans?

After we just spent 3 years getting out from under the last HC/GM's bullsh!t?

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I find it incredibly ironic that for the last several years we’ve all been BEGGING the Texans to do ANYTHING that would bring this franchise credibility and stability.

We have constantly derided McNair and Caserio for not doing what it takes to make this a competent, competitive and respected franchise again. And now one of the undeniable top 10 head coaches in the NFL is available and so many of y’all are afraid to give up a first round pick for him? Mind you, this is a coach that is a known commodity. A known commodity who came into a very similar situation in New Orleans all those years ago and brought them into relevance and consistent competitiveness. A coach who helped turn around a small-statured QB’s career. A head coach who would, overnight, bring respect back to the Texans franchise.

And y’all don’t want him because you’d have to give up an unknown commodity in a first round pick? A first round pick that could very well just end up being a massive bust? Look, I love first round draft picks as much as the next person. And I know how valuable they are for a rebuilding team. But you’re telling me you’d rather hire an unproven coach and draft and unproven commodity at #12 (or a first next year) instead of giving up a first round pick and obtaining one of the ten best and most respected head coaches in football?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be more than ok with Demeco or a lot of the other options for HC. But I find it incredibly ironic that Payton provides exactly what this fan base has been begging for and yet so much of the fan base would rather hold onto an extra first round pick. Ok, rant over. Go Texans.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The perception already gonna shift if we draft a qb. Not like sticking Sean Payton on our team last year makes us contenders either. We can get a good coach without having to spend 1st round picks.

If Sean Payton troys Davis Mills out there next year it ain't gonna make a difference.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Most want success without sacrifice.

houstonstime and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Because we've been using the same "Next HC" thread for 3 years now.

11. Two Sandwiches

I'm fine with giving up a first for Payton. I'd try and make the first as late as possible, though. Or I'd ask them for a 3rd or 4th back if it was 12.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Sean Payton won 9 games with Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, and Trevor Simien as his starting QBs.

Ben Johnson/Mike Kafka/etc aspire to be Sean Payton one day.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

14. Buck Turgidson

To get those 9 wins he left the Saints $58M over the salary cap this offseason.

Hell of a GM, he is.

15. Major

Major Member

Don't forget that he went like 5-0 or something with Teddy Bridgewater when Brees was hurt.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

But that was by design - they were trying to maximize their competitiveness while Brees was still there. I doubt they really regret that because they are in rebuilding mode now anyway until they find a QB. The Rams did similar things. They are in a cap mess now, but I doubt they regret it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Texans might actually be the favorite for Payton.

Dallas W tonight probably assures McCarthy will not be fired. If Staley is not fired, which apparently he won’t be, then what’s a better job?

Denver tied to declining Wilson & competing with Mahomes & Herbert the next 10 years.

Arizona has an aging team & Murray coming off ACL tear.

Carolina is nothing fancy with no QB.

Houston has an extremely young team with major draft capital & cap space. He can choose his franchise QB. And McNair/Caserio will give him as much control as he wants.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess nick will get fired if sean comes in.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

That will work.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Payton spoke highly of Caserio and Caserio said in the recent press conference that he’s willing to work with anybody.