1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You have to factor in relative number of shots in those areas to determine which is a significant variable.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

No, not really.

I do know he takes mid range shots at an increased rate this year compared to last, while also covering them at a lower %.

He's actually reduced his 3pt shot frequency as well as his 0-3ft frequency from last year and it's no shock his efficiency is down.

His increased free throw rate and the volume of 3s he shoots is what's making him somewhat efficient, which he hasn't been.

He'd be significantly worst if he cut three ball out.

3. larsv8

No, that is not accurate.

With all other things being equal, if he took zero 3s this year, his TS% would increase from 53% to 56%

#1083 larsv8, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Show the math because that sounds like complete bullshit.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

There is a legit possibility that the 2023 top 4 picks this year will turn out to be better pros than anyone on this Houston Rockets roster.
    1. Wimby 100%
    2. Scoot 100 %
    3. Brandon Miller 50/50
    4. Amen Thompson <Jalen Green

6. larsv8

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He looks like a classic Lavine/Gerald Green/etc. type who can score when he's hot, but otherwise won't provide much and likely won't be the leader of a winning team.

I fear we messed up not taking Mobley. Hope I'm wrong but this year has been completely disappointing with how he has not developed in any tangible way.

SamFisher and Downtown Sniper like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We have to seriously take players with an existing bag and not just shooters with chucking potential.

At least we would not have to worry so much during the process.

The Worriers are just too hard to copy.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Gerald Green?

Our fanbase simply cant handle a rebuild.

O-dawg likes this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Wonder at what point the Rockets are going to realise they let the rot of KPJ seep into Jalen's persona for too long.

I see more Stromile Swift (athleticism > skills) than I do Kobe Bryant in Jalen.

When you're as bad as he is at so many facets of the game, you best be busting your ass every minute out there on the court to make up for it.

This is where keeping KPJ is a disaster for Jalen.

He's learnt from 'head honcho' that he doesn't need to look for his teammates, he's learnt that it's cool to not even care about the defensive side of the court. He's learnt when the going gets tough just fold.

How much longer until he knows where the soup table is?

12. fchowd0311

Stromile Swift?

Calm down people.

13. fchowd0311

Green has a rather deep bag for a 20 year old scoring guard.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's better than Gerald Green but similar type of player. Jalen is not helping you on defense, playmaking, rebounding, etc. He's there to score, usually not efficiently, and that's pretty much it right now.

15. fchowd0311

He was helping you at playmaking like a month ago when he was racking up assists. He has scored efficiently at chunks of his short career. He's 20 about to turn 21 in his sophomore season.

Right now disappointing means he is molding into Bradley Beal rather than Ja Morant. Not that he's molding into Gerald Green hoping hed become Bradley Beal.

That is the part that irks me about the absolute dog **** takes on Green. It's the whole Bobby thing where during his first half of his rookie year he was hoping he'd be Corey Brewer level in his prime.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible that one day he'll become a good shooter rather than just a streaky shooter and perhaps eventually develop one or two tools to go in his bag that currently only contains a sign that says "go fast". If he does those things he'd become a quality one way player, but so long as he's one of the worst defensive players in the league, maybe a bench role would be better for the team.

He's looking a lot more Lou Williams than Kobe.

17. fchowd0311

Also I doubt Gerald Green was ever scoring 60+% of his fgm unassisted. He was a lot more catch and shoot than self creator.

I mean that statistic for Green specifically has a lot to do with also our poor offensive system not creating easy assisted looks for Green.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you feel like you have to outright lie like that? Do you think it helps your argument?

I know you aren't actually stupid enough to think that a person saying they are concerned a worst case scenario is that Green never develops and becomes a Corey Brewer type is hoping that happens... so why do you pretend to be that stupid?

19. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was a poll in another thread where the fanbase here at ClutchFans seemed to respond realistically regarding the expected number of wins for this season but when I read some of the player expectations from the fans the two don't match.

If you expect our rookie or sophomores to perform like rookie\sophomore LeBron or Luka then you are going to be disappointed. If you expect there to be flashes, highs and lows, two steps forward and one step back... generally inconsistent play, then you are spot on.

Are there things that can be improved... heck yeah, but most (not all) of it rests in the hands of the coaching staff. This team should have more structure, tighter rotations, an established offensive focus, and rigid defensive schemes. Too many times I see players waving off or turning down screens and post ups for mismatches. Too many times I see players deciding on the fly when to switch or looking confused about how a particular play would be covered. This crap even young teams (even more so for younger players) could and should show some type of consistent progress, but midway through the season we still look lost in most of these areas.

I lay this at the feet of the coaches and the buck stops with the head coach.

BigMaloe, larsv8 and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Gerald Green comparisons - 36% from 3 is too much to ask from Jalen at the moment

Bobbythegreat likes this.