1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Scoot Henderson Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 12, 2022.

?

I like Wemby, but we need a PG.

Poll closed Jun 22, 2023.
  1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Nah, we need Wemby.

131 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Nah, draft Wemby & get a PG with Bucks pick.

46 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Nah, we can find a PG in free agency.

34 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I probably would as well. Sucks that you could get him with just a little luck instead of giving up a ton of assets. Those Nets picks and swaps easily end up top 10 a few times.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I would try to keep either the 25' or 27' swap. The Nets could be horrible by then. If you believe that Scoot is a generational talent and franchise changer then why not pull the trigger on a trade like this. If the answer to that question is that you want to use our assets for a vet/max player, then we better be sure that we can acquire this hypothetical player via trade.

If the team with 2nd pick insisted on both future swaps, with a gun to my head I may fold and do it. It will likely take this kind of package to get him.

xaos likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

I'd do that trade

But, I haven't watched the Thompson brothers other than highlights so I'd have to really watch the actual games of the prospects to feel 100% this way. Of course, if we could keep the 27 swap that would be great, but if there's been a counters and the 27 swap is a deal breaker I'd give in for Scoot.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

rockets will draft with the 3rd or 4th pick and i will commit suduko

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nobody will trade down from 1 or 2.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

What if they draft 5th?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4072158/2023/01/12/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-profile/

[…]

While Wembanyama has continued to impress in France, Henderson has drawn rave reviews too. He has scored 20 or more points in seven of his eight games back and already threw down what will be one of 2023’s best dunks.

Ignite GM Anthony McClish offered nothing but superlatives about Henderson. He said he has told NBA teams the same when someone calls about him.

“I can understand why you got Victor No. 1 on your board, but that’s your conscience that you have to live with if you pass on him,” McClish told The Athletic. “If you go and you say, hey, look, I got to put my name behind somebody to draft and put my reputation on the line — I don’t know Victor personally, so I’m biased of course —but I’m putting my name behind Scoot now and in the foreseeable future, with 100 percent confidence.”

Henderson doesn’t have any relationship with Wembanyama, he said, but they are inexorably linked for now. Wembanyama is the presumed top pick in the draft, and Henderson, a 6-foot-2 guard with explosiveness and skill, is expected to go No. 2. In his most recent mock draft, The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie says Henderson “pretty clearly would have gone first overall in both the 2022 and 2020 NBA drafts.”

One exec who watched Henderson last month threw out comparisons to Russell Westbrook and John Wall and said Henderson could have a career similar to theirs. Henderson, however, wouldn’t be happy with that.

“No, I want to have my own career,” he said. “Where people are saying like ‘You’re having Scoot’s career’ or whatever. I want to go down my own path. I don’t want to try to follow up anybody. Of course, Russell Westbrook and John Wall are great players. Great guards, leaders. But I just want to make my own path.”

He already is, and trying to make the most of it. Henderson has been a pro for almost two seasons and has used that time to learn.

He is becoming educated about business — learning about real estate and how to take care of his money — and about the business of the sport. Last year, he applied for trademarks for his name, Scoot Henderson, and his personal motto, 0VERLY DETERMINED TO DOMINATE, with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, according to filings.

While most rookies enter the NBA unaccustomed to fame and riches at that age, Henderson will have had two years as a trial run to ease into it.

“I wouldn’t say like a crazy edge, but I would say you recognize more,” he said. “We learn about the business of it so we wouldn’t be shocked by what happened to so and so.”

Henderson has tried to take advantage of the opportunities playing with the Ignite has presented him. At first, he was surprised by the amount of free time he had as a pro, so he started reading more.

He likes to flip back-and-forth between two books at once, but he prefers ones on self-development. He calls reading “the best school for me.”

Henderson seeks out self-development books because he seeks progress. He doesn’t want to just prepare for success; he also wants to be ready in case of failure.

“Because I know there’s going to be, like, downsides of being this young and being successful,” he said. “Inside, you’re not going to always feel great. So I just try to minimize that. So I just tried to make sure I’m OK always and blessed for real.”

He adds: “I don’t like failure. So I don’t want to ever see that.”

Henderson also fills up his free time with late-night trips to the gym. His workout of choice is what he calls the “side to side.” Henderson begins at one elbow and shoots before he slides to the elbow on the other side of the court. He tries to make 30 on each side, and if he misses a shot he subtracts two. Then he does this again but on each short corner. He does this twice.

Work is a form of preparation and a coping mechanism for Henderson. It is how he settles himself as the buzz about him grows.

“I try to be great at everything court-wise and and try to be the best leader I could possibly be,” he said. “That’s how I try to separate myself and just always be myself. I’m pretty sure you can lose yourself in the league or making a lot of money, but you’ve got to be mentally sound.”

Henderson is a visual learner, so he does best by watching and doing. He has started to watch more basketball this season, and he soaks in information by seeing it. He sometimes watches video of a move and then goes to the court to do it himself and add his own tweak.

When he does hit the gym, his father, Chris, is often there with him. Chris Henderson was a coach and ran his own gym in their Georgia home. He remains the biggest influence on Scoot, and one of his lessons rings in his son’s ears.

“He did teach me: You’re not gonna get nothing if you don’t work hard,” Scoot said. “The basketball gods are always going to seek out when you’re not working. So I just try to keep that in my mind and try to give the basketball gods something good.”

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... this article is consistent with everything I have heard about Henderson. Guys like this go one of two ways. Either he is going to end up like a Chris Paul, John Stockton or Jerry West type player that eats, sleeps and drinks nothing but basketball and is extremely driven and will be a great leader..... or he will end up being exposed to temptation and burnout and have a personal crisis and be like Jabari Parker or Kenny Anderson and flameout.

Personally, at #2 Ill take my chance with Henderson..... God knows that the Rockets could use a strong winner and leader.

10. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Thanks for sharing. That gives very good insight into Scoot the player and the person.

Ideally, the Rockets have a tremendously talented team:

PG: Scoot
    SG: Green
    SM: KPJ
    PF: Jabari
    C : Alpi

However, I think that Victor opens up some interesting possibilities too. The front court could be one for the ages! Smith / Alpi / Victor.

If they did draft Victor, they could play Jabari at SF as a 3 and D forward. Though since games are on cable, I don't watch every game as I used to when they were on occasionally on over the air TV. So, I'm not sure how that would work out - I get a lot of my information on you guys.

Would Alpi and Victor make the new twin towers (2 centers on the low block). ---- could be intriguing. Any thoughts?

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I don't like the comparisons, but I know he'll be much better under a coach who knows what their doing and play better than those washed up former Rockets legends.

12. conquistador#11

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Great article, thanks for sharing this. I clicked the link and paid the dollar to support the author.

Once again Scoot Henderson's mentality is amazing. The way the kid thinks, constantly learns and puts his ideas into action with results is excellent. He's gifted intellectually and with basketball talent, but keeps grinding to build both rather than grow comfortable.

Sounds like he also understands mental health, balance and positive coping/relaxation habits to balance his drive.

True competitive fire/work ethic, mental strength, skillsets and jump out of the gym athletic abilities are rare in an 18 year old prospect.

#213 OkayAyeReloaded, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    J.R. and xaos like this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

For anyone is in or around the Valley:

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see how Ty Ty matches up with Scoot. Hopefully it will be televised.

xaos likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

I think they're all televised via NBA app or YouTube and occasional NBATV. That's what I've been using...

For the NBA app, the game won't pop up until it's on and live.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks bro. Just added it to my calendar.

xaos likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My head wants Wembanyama, but my heart wants Scoot.

dmoneybangbang, xaos and BaselineFade like this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

I created this thread from a perspective in thoughts with the current team we have.

If we get Wemby, I would be ecstatic, but we're back to the same problem that Swipa Fox said - offense is a bunch of 1 on 1s with no one being the General to navigate the offense.

With Scoot, I believe he will take command and control the offense. He can get to the basket, dish off to Jalen/Jabari/Alpi for the 3/mid-range jumper/dunk, create plays and throw off the defense. He would be a perfect fit with the current roster minus KPJ and Silas.

xaos and "Hail Hydra" like this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

Either one would be amazing, but Victor changes things on both ends of the floor. There’s a Scoot type of player in most drafts, there’s never been a Wemby in a draft. It’s the 7’4” do it all guy over the 6’2” athletic combo guard.

ApacheWarrior likes this.