1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minneapolis mayor clears out homelessness encampments mentions Fentanyl addicts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jan 9, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka

Good news for Minneapolis
    He mentions how bad the west coast is

He doesn’t want that breh

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been going on for quite awhile. The problem is that once you clear out one encampment another springs up. In many cases all it is is moving homeless people around rather than addressing deeper problems.

jiggyfly, edwardc and Nook like this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

Like drug addiction?

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that is one. Lack of of affordable housing is another.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

He mentioned that the drug addicts commit crime to get money to pay for drugs

what percentage are the homeless who don’t have drug addiction or mental health issues ?

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Nook and tinman like this.
  7. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Like 74% to 80% of homeless people don't have drug problems, biggest cause of homelessness is lack of affordable housing. Homelessness usually leads into drug problems and then mental health issues.

TheRealist137 and FrontRunner like this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

what about Delonte West?
    Dude made what? 40 million in the NBA, now he's homeless

you still need money for drugs, drug dealers don't work for free
    @Reeko

9. Nook

Nook Member

This has been the plan for many decades and it is why I have defended SF and LA, when I really don't want to.

The plan around the majority of the country is simple, provide limited very limited resources for the homeless, strongly discourage them from entering or staying in your city and have the police harass, intimidate and at times give them bus tickets to leave town. Houston for example did this for many years. This strategy has also worked very well in colder and more extreme temperatures.

New York City has had success by making sure the overwhelming majority of their available benefits are available for long term residents that were not homeless when they moved into the city.

LA and SF have the best resources and benefits in the country for the homeless. Couple that with a very mild climate, lots of other homeless to socialize with, lack of harassment from the police and you have a perfect storm for attracting lots of homeless people.

The right wing ideal that the homeless issue in Southern California is because of liberal policies just isn't accurate. It is due to a lack of housing and plentiful opportunities. Likewise, the simple solutions being offered by liberals are not going to work either. It isn't entirely a funding situation, it is a break down in services, mediocre mental health treatment for decades (it is much better now), a failed war on drugs and bad foster home program and lack of help in prison for non violent or young offenders.

So, some of these people pointing to California are either ignorant or not sincere.

Xerobull, jiggyfly and Kim like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Homelessness more often than not LEADS to drug addiction and not as often as the other way around.

I assumed that many homeless people became homeless because of their addiction, and that happens sometimes, but not as often as someone becoming an addict after being homeless. There is a lot of trauma being homeless, especially for women. Physical and sexual violence is very common. Women are often forced into prostitution and have drugs pushed on them as a form of control.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is all of this really true? How is a drug problem defined? Do they have problems with alcohol? Do they have problems keeping a job? Do they have problems getting along with people? Does the mental health issues come after homelessness or before? What percentage of people develop schizophrenia or bipolar disorder as adults? What percentage of the homeless prefer homelessness? I know that sounds ridiculous, but I bet it's more than 0%. Affordable housing will not solve the homelessness issue. Not even close.

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

JumpMan likes this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

From my experience it varies. For females it is actually pretty sad. Domestic violence has reached a point where they left with no where to go but have to leave. Even worse is when kids are involved. I'd say that's ~ 50%. 30% Mental and 20% Abuse.

Men I put in 3 buckets. Abuse ~ 50%. Mental ~ 30%. I want total freedom to do what I want ~ 20%.

I'm sure this varies by region too but that's been my experience.

jiggyfly, JumpMan, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

the worst thing politically is policies that let homeless people continue to be homeless and not addressing the human factors you mention

oh give them a tiny house or a shelter or hotel room has proven not to work
    addressing the human problems first is what they need to do and making hard line decisions as well

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Giving them a home definitely helps lol. It adds basic stability and security so they have a basic anchor point to improve their lives.

Doing life tasks homeless is like doing everything thing on extreme hard mode.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Being homeless was my biggest fear in life - more than death. I can't imagine how bad things must have gotten to take a few clothes and start walking as your better option - especially with kids in tow. It still tears me up.

There are places to help get them back on their feet - private places not govt. It is harder when you have kids because of the daycare but there are options. For a single man it's rather easy if you stay sober and want to work. For the mentally ill, I think we have to go back to putting them in an institution. Not every mentally ill person belongs there obviously but if it's so bad that you're homeless - I've seen some that are completely gone - they need 24/7 help. I do think because of the expense, you will need govt funding there.

For the ones that want total freedom. Yeah we shouldn’t have to pay for that lifestyle. You’re on your own.

#16 ArtV, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    jiggyfly likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I saw that encampment as it's a few miles from where I live. That one is a perfect example though. It was closed but many of those people just moved to another location.

Just shutting down encampments just moves the problem. There are major issues, affordable housing is a big one but so is drug treatment and mental illness treatment. I know Houston and a few other cities are trying programs regarding housing first and then addressing those other things. I think that's a good way to go as it get's people off the street and then dealing with the other issues.

tinman likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm sure there probablfy are some people that prefer homelessness I bet they make up a very small percentage of the population.

Anyway just relying upon enforcement doesn't solve the problem.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I dunno. One poster above said about 20%. I think there is a greater percentage who would like a place to stay, but not if they have to do something serious to keep it. At the end of the day, we gotta figure out ways to help those who are willing to put in the work and accept that many just don't want to be part of society, wish them well, and let them go.