1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who knows… maybe Biggio hits his prime at age 25 instead of 28 if he started out as an infielder… maybe his knee doesn’t fall apart in 2000.

It was more experimental back then to covert catchers to preserve their hitting. It’s done earlier and earlier now.

It’s hard AF to be a catcher. Not everybody can do it. If he doesn’t have that passion, I doubt he’d be very good at it.

2. Yordan The Great

Yet Yadier Molina survived it all through his mid 30s as a quality hitter. Arguably his best season ever was at age 34.

3. Major

Major Member

So what? Do you think Biggio's path is the only way to succeed in baseball? Maybe if the Astros would have decided to leave him there, he has a decent career for 7 or 8 years as a top-tier catcher, his knees give out, and then the world moves on and he is just remembered as one of many random catchers that had a handful of good years and then disappeared.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Molinas have a rare genetic condition that they all have to be catchers…. That’s just science.

Justin Thomas, Qan, Genesis and 4 others like this.
  5. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I am starting to question if there will even be one.

Madmanmetz and Marshall Bryant like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crane isn't going to personally handle ST invites/roster cuts, the draft, and international development.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Pitchers and catchers can start reporting in 35 days. When is this new GM search going to start?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Will probably just be one of their in-house candidates who's already handling everything. And what do you want this new GM to do right now anyways?

The point is, Crane isn't the one actually handling day to day baseball operations.... and won't be the one handling it when things actually have to be handled.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Why are you getting on my case? Crane said he didn't expect anything to happen before the first of the year. Well it's after the first of the year..

Madmanmetz likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're the one "questioning if there will ever be one..."

12. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Yeah I was wondering. Crane said there would be a thorough GM search. He said not to expect anything before the start of the year. It's been a week after the start of the year and we still have not heard anything. So yeah, I am starting to question if there is going to be one.

#8332 Jose Cuervo, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It feels like 9 days into the new year is basically no time at all for these things.

I would have been very surprised to hear anything by now, or in the next couple of weeks.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But what do you expect to "hear"? They're not going to publicize anything until it happens... and the Astros don't leak anything unless they really want it to get out.

There's a much better chance that they've either already targeted somebody or are considering in-house options seriously... vs. them not having gotten around to even starting the process yet.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I am curious about the GM search, that is all. I am hoping we don't go too long without one.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Be patient. Crane said "not" to expect one before the first of the year. He never said to expect one immediately following the first of the year. It is much more important that he eventually makes the right decision than making a right now decision.

jiggyfly and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It will be pretty problematic if they approach draft time without a GM (even if just an interim in title one).

But otherwise, this is actually the time of year where the GM role is fairly minimal.

I was curious the other day when the Yankees hired Sabean and then hired Minaya as special "advisors"... could there be a small possibility that these were potential Crane targets and the Yankees are trying to take as many candidates off the table by giving them guaranteed lucrative contracts to basically not do a whole lot?? Or maybe the Astros are using counter-intelligence and making the Yankees think they like these guys... who knows.

If I were Cashman, while its always great to have as many resources and smart guys around as possible, I'd also have a slight awareness that these advisors could easily replace him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If the one you really want is under contract...

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's only been 9 days but I think we should be hearing some stories about possible GMs. I also found it interesting our little son is hiring extra advisors when we have lost staff.

I'm sure the nerd cave can present trade ideas to Bagwell and Jackson to pass along to Crane. But it would be nice to have a GM working the phone lines and getting relationships cultivated within the organization and outside.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have other guys running the day to day operations... only a few here actually know their names when they announced it soon after Click's firing. They were at the winter meetings.

jiggyfly likes this.