1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

NL East is going to be a bloodbath…at least between 3 teams. NL Central seems pretty meh, and NL West just has LAD and SDP…and I think LAD has some regression due.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surprised the Tigers didn’t get more. Seemed like a trio of fringe roster pieces for a potential multi-year leverage reliever and a fringe roster piece.

3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He needs to make himself a viable option at both 1b and Catcher. His bat, by all accounts, is major league ready. He should be the replacement for Abreu if he gets hurt and at least our 3rd catcher option. Sure hopes he and Hensley make the team.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I hope to see Yainer carve out a significant role backing up 1B/DH/C this season. Kid can hit.

6. Nook

Nook Member

He can hit. The issue is that he can be a genuine star if he can stay behind the plate but he really doesn’t like it. As a 1B/DH and sometimes catcher, he can be good but not nearly as good. He reminds me a lot of Carlos Santana.

itzIce, xcrunner51, Stoic Rob and 6 others like this.
  7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think that’s right. But if he doesn’t want to catch you can’t force him. Honestly with club control what it is and catchers who hit dropping off around 30, there’s a disincentive to do the job if you think you can make it at a different position. His knees will hold up better at first.

Jeremy Williams, Nook and No Worries like this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

They showed an interesting clip in the WS, a lot of catchers today are sitting on one or both knees now. Still a lot of regression historically with the position, but interesting nuance I didn’t really notice until after.

9. Yordan The Great

Looking good Mr. Kottuh.

Nook likes this.
  10. CrazyJoeDavola

[​IMG]

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

So according to scwab Meyers and Maton woulda got Gregory Soto. Who woulda thunk it? No value Maton hmmmm

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What about a small trade for Austin Meadows? He can cover the Corners and DH. Can be a Rotational guy to keep peeps fresh. Covers injury stuff and does very well Against AL pitching

Nook likes this.
  13. The Drake

The Drake Member

Maton for Meadows straight up?

14. HTown2017Champs

Getting a bit too unrealistic probably, but I'd monitor the Bryan Reynolds market. The Pirates clearly asked for way more than anyone was willing to trade, and perhaps as we get closer to Opening Day they lower their price again. I've heard rumors the Yankees have re-engaged in talks and supposedly their FO believes PIT is lowering (but by how much) their demand and sees 2024/25 as the start of their next "window" (again, just rumors). Would be nice to swoop in and get him. Offer Garcia +, sign a Wacha or someone (even a Bundy reclamation project) to be the 6th starter since guys like Davies, Miley have got less than I expected.

Nook likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I've been wanting Reynolds for awhile and from my buddies up north Bob Nutting is a trash owner. And a trash GM. He only cares about the revenue sharing money he gets. He is the type of owner that hurts the MLB.
    Saying that I think we could make a competitive offer that would make them take it

17. CinematicFusion

He can be a star if he stays behind the plate but won’t because he doesn’t like it?
    Not a great mentality to be a major league ball player.
    Someone needs to slap reality in his face.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He wouldn't be anywhere near the first, or last, player that refused to do something that would be for the best because they didn't really want to. Catching is a grind, it demands a lot of you physically, mentally and behind the scenes that the other 7 spots don't.

Ultimately if he can hit they will find a spot for him, even if he could be a lot more with a better attitude.

jiggyfly and xcrunner51 like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Why? Maybe he wants a longer career that doesn't destroy his knees? Is that a bad mentality to have?

jiggyfly, No Worries and Joe Joe like this.
  20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

In addition to being better for the team, it's much better economically for him if he can catch and provide the same level of hitting production. If he doesn't accept that or want that, can't do too much about it.