1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is proud of being 10-27

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I’d be happy with a competently coached team and yes 6 more wins which is almost equal to our total amt this year would be nice. You can defend the worst coach in nba history all you want, but the numbers are on my side. It’s not the worst coach in the past 5, 10, 15, 20 years….stats verify that he is the worst coach in nba history and the sample size is not small. Next year will be his 4th year. As a fan I deserve MUCH MUCH MUCH better than 4 years of the worst record in nba history. I’d like to work for you if I was the worst worker in the history of my profession and you thought I was doing a great job.

ashleyem and Joe Rocket like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Scary thought….what if Silas coached this year’s OKC team without the 2nd pick in the draft. Do u think he’d have 16 wins vs our 10 wins. Most likely he’d be struggling with more 20 game losing streaks or 1-16 starts to the season. Can’t believe I’m having to convince most of this board that he’s not a good head coach.

ashleyem likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

No he isn’t. This is the problem with unrealistic expectations. Eason is nowhere near a star player. This is coming from someone who wanted Eason. He’s an energy guy. Good enough to be a role player in this league. Folks want to project star for every single player. That’s not how this works

Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

U think he’s a potential star based on what?

YOLO likes this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They are just gas lighting us at this point. Never admit failure, don't apologize for a single thing ever, just say everything is fine , and then have the fans be very confused on who to blame when it is clearly Silas and the front office. This is just mocking the fanbase.

ashleyem and daywalker02 like this.
  6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Not sure what his reasoning was, but I also thought Eason was one of the better players on the roster. He leads in +/- for the team (excluding guys that don't play like Boban/TyTy which are insignificant statistics), and that is with an incompetent coach who does not know how to use anyone. When he was getting significant minutes in summer league and some pre season games he looked like the best player on the court. Not sure if he is a star, because a star player to me single handedly wills you to wins. I don't think there is one on this roster yet. He is one of the better players on this roster though, only reason he is not starting is because we selected a guy #3 overall playing his position. If it werent for that, he would be starting, we just have a lot invested in Jabari (a full season of tanking is like hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue) so need him to develop.

#146 BallSoHarden, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Kinda funny -

The Rockets are #12 in # of possessions in isolation with 8.4 which equates to 7.3% of their total.

The next team on that list???

Detroit is #13 averaging 7.8 possessions which equates to 6.9% of their total.

The Rockets average 0.98 points per possession. Detroit averages 0.84 ppp.

The number and volume of possessions is negligible while the ppp is appreciable ....

Don't take it from me, read the stats for yourself ----> Teams Isolation | Stats | NBA.com

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Silas still coached the worst team in the league when he had Vets, a mix of vets and young guys and now all young guys. Youth is just the latest excuse.

Again, not saying Silas should have been getting this team to the playoffs or anything, but to be as bad as he has been in all three seasons here is inexcusable.

#148 xtruroyaltyx, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    ashleyem likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Which Championship teams come to mind in the ENTIRE History of the NBA that tanked multiple years that won championships?

Which NBA teams can you think of that had the worst record for multiple years and wound up winning a championship with the core they built through tanking? You can even include top draft picks they got by tanking who were traded for stars that later helped them win.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Bulls that drafted Jordan tanked

the Rockets that drafted Ralph Sampson tanked

The Rockets that drafted Akeem tanked.

Those back to back tank jobs by the Rockets are why we have a draft lottery today.

The Spurs that drafted Robinson

The Spurs that drafted Timmy Duncan.

The Magic that drafted Shaq and ultimately lost to the Rockets.

The Warriors tanked it up for several years and drafted their entire core and took a couple years after that to start winning.

Cleveland & Lebron.

OKC and the Durant, Westbrook, Harden trio.

Cleveland drafting Kyrie(1), Dion Waiters (4), Anthony Bennett (1) , Andrew Wiggins (1)

Rileydog likes this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Fireable offense.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You didn't name a single team that met the criteria that I asked for.

None of those teams tanked multiple years in a row and won a ring....except maybe Cleveland...And the only reason they did was Lebron was from Cleveland and wanted to go back and get them a ring.

Even the most recent example of the best tank job (Philly) has yet to win a ring. In fact they've seen multiple first round exits and out of all those players they tanked for only Embiid panned out. And if they don't win one soon that Window is about as good as closed.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas was especially proud that he went into Fight club mode

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

yeah, but who else did it?

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Silas has grown a lot as a coach, his challenges almost always result in a w and he is bringing the dog in him out by getting ejected and standing up for his team. There is so much all our young core can learn from him. Its not easy taking over a rebuilding team, lets see how he adjusts within the next 5 years. Some coaches take a while to be really good and find themselves and what type of coaching style they ultimately want. If the players don't fit in with Silas then trade them for players that do. Building around Silas was the original plan and there is no need to stray from that.

daywalker02 and ashleyem like this.
  16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Maybe. I just wouldn't call that "significant" until I see improvement in the win column. Let me append your "Stage 2" definition with the team has found a new core that has an actual chance of making the playoffs. Not necessarily a contender but is translating into wins.

OKC is still lottery bound so that step isn't "significant" for me. I want to see hard results. In pro sports, that's either wins and/or ticket/merch sales.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas will peak when he reaches 60, I would be confident the Rockets will wait for that.
    :rolleyes:o_O