1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Trade Idea - Taylor for Battie/Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 4Shoposite

4Shoposite Contributing Member

You guys value Mo a little too much.

No way if I'm the Cavs GM would I pull the trigger on a Battie + S&T deal for Mo Taylor.

Last season, the Cavs were very interested in Juwan Howard. Mo Taylors production/salary is just a huge turn off.

I would see a deal like Juwan for Battie...but not Mo Taylor.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I love Tony Battie's game. He's a hard working PF! I've always wanted a "P.J. Brown" type player.

I put Tony is the same category of "toughness" Erick Dampier, Donyell Marshall, Jamaal Magloire. Ok, those guy rebound near/over 10+ per. But, still. Tony Battie could rebound better if he just put his mind to it.

Plus, any PF that has a .49% career FG AND can play D, is a good pick.

P.S. My top blue-collar working PF is Boozer and K-Mart. But those guys are only pipe-dreams.

By the way, I was just looking on nba.com...did you guys know that Brad Miller, of the Kings, averages 10.3 RPG! :eek: Damn!

#22 DavidS, Jul 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think the Rockets would move Howard for Battie. Although the appeal of Battie's shorter contract is there.

From the Rockets perspective I think it is clear that Battie and Williams would fit in really well here. Cleveland is in trouble. They lost Boozer for nothing and are scrambling now just to recover at that position. Heck, when they are talking about Vin Baker, you KNOW they are DESPERATE! The ONLY low post scoring they have is Z and he might even be traded. Diop and Battie are both rebounder/shot blocker guys. No post up offense to counterbalance James. They NEED a low post player and someone that can command a double team. I feel that Taylor could be that guy. True his price is high but he is only on the books for 3 more years so that isnt too bad. I just think of the many options out there and Taylor is one of the better ones, the more 'available' ones.

While Battie and Williams would be NICE for Houston, they arent essential. Whereas Cleveland is in DIRE straights without a solid PF that can score. In terms of this deal Houston has the upper hand in my opinion and that's why Houston would submit Taylor (not Howard) in this deal.

4. Sane

Sane Member

Only trouble with this: I would really like to give Boki a chance, and getting Eric Williams would just end his Rockets career.

I don't think he'll be great, but I do think his production would be better than Williams (OVERALL). He'd probably be cheaper as well, and will have already adapted to JVG.

If they swap Boki for a pick, I'd feel much better about this trade. Even without that though, I'm 50-50 on it.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The way this offseason is going, MoTay doesn't even have a horrendous contract anymore. He's getting paid just a little more than Adonal Foyle's last 3 years. Adonal freaking Foyle. If that lug is getting 5 years 41 million then Mo's final 3 years 27 million doesn't look so bad. And there aren't that many decent big men in the NBA that are available in trades.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think a couple of scenrios can happen. Taylor and Griffin for Fox and Payton. Both are free agents after the season and both seems to be on the way out. if they trade, Odom,Kobe,Butler,Taylor,Grant would give them a chance to make the playoffs. Payton isn't the long term answer, but I think he has something to prove and Fox is throw in.

7. ptw1

ptw1 Member

So that makes you an expert? We'll see how their roster looks on opening day. Battie will be there.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

No ONE is an "expert." But some people might be more informed. And since some of us don't live in Cleveland (where you can get all the local news that someone else on the web can't get), I'd say that JustB is more informed about
    Cleveland sports than I.

Not saying that, you (ptw1), are not *in the know* about Cleveland sports. But, living in the city can offer an insight that others my not enjoy.

#28 DavidS, Jul 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with the news on realgm this morning about a possible S&T of eric williams for atkins....i doubt this trade will happen for us. and if that rumor is true, then we can count out atkins in our search for a PG.

"another one bites the dust" seems to be the theme song for our PG search.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Deuce -
    After PG mania, thanks for some sanity in the GARM.

Regarding Mo T for Battie and a re-signed Eric Williams. The one drawback I see is that Paul Silas as a player was much more of a Boozer type than a Taylor type. IOW, look at Silas' bigs....Boozer, PJ Brown, Robert Traylor and even Jamaal Magliore....rebounders all. And Traylor is an unrestricted FA who'd be very cheap.

On the other hand, CLE needs some O in a big way. And they also need a SF to pair with LeBron and McInnis. And although he's no sprinter, Mo can get up court well enough to fill a secondary break.

The deciding factor from the CAVS standpoint IMHO is this. They need a PF and a SF and their not going to get starter quality at both position with their MLE and $1m exception. One of the spots will have to be filled via trade.

That said, if I were the Cavs I'd seriously talk with Micheal Bradley and Darius Songaila before I locked down any trade. Heck, if we somehow turned Mo into Battie and Eric Williams, the Rox ought to check out the price of Bradley and Songaila.

OK...starting to ramble...low blood sugar level...time for brunch...

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

OK, what's up with that. McInnis, Ollie and now Atkins? The Cavs don't need 3 PG's. It looks like Mo for Battie and Ollie. :D (It works capwise).

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I dont get why the Cavs would have interest in Atkins. That to me says that they have NO confidence in Ollie whatsoever. That alone should tell us to stay away from Ollie, especially his 5yr 15M contract. Or perhaps the Cavs feel that McInnis will leave them high and dry after next season? Otherwise it just doesnt make sense for the Cavs to go after a THIRD PG when they have other more important holes to fill on their roster.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it doesnt make sence for boston either. they will be left with only 1 PG (banks), and they will have a logjam at the 2/3 position (pp, davis, welch, jones, and then williams?)

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What might make sense is to send Piatkowski, Lue and the T-E to Boston for a resigned Chris Mihm (PF-C) and Marcus Banks (PG). They have a glut of big men, and I think Ainge said something about using Jeri Welsch as their PG.

#34 thumbs, Jul 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2004