1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon: “There’s no improvement”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Dec 31, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is so spot on.

DD

sinan28 and gfab-babyboi like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

fun-meter all time low rn

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, there is a huge gap.

Wemby is the top prospect since Anthony Davis or LeBron James.

However, Scoot Henderson has a chance of being a 20/10 type point guard fairly early in his career.

Adding a point guard like Henderson to Green and Smith has a lot of potential as well.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets would be very smart to take back players on 2-3 year deals in exchange for strong assets from other organizations but I haven't heard a single person around the organization say that is what TF wants to do with the cap space. Everything I have heard is that TF wants to make a splash this summer.

I think Harden is largely responsible for the current style of play and scoring binge we have seen in the NBA because of how he played and was utilized. He is one of the 3-5 best offensive players EVER in his prime and the Rockets should have won at least one title with him and he should have 3-4 MVP's..... but the Rockets resigning him would be very foolish. He is old. Having said that, yes, TF is interested.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet unless they go for both a vet star and a formidable NBA coach.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and i totally get it...
    as i guy trapped in a shitty marriage myself... i get it...
    u try to mute your emotions and let stuff roll off you...
    u try to put your head and do your job... as you bide your time to resolve the situation...
    but sometimes your frustrations boil over...

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If the marriage still checks off at least one box....I see why it is still ongoing.

Hang in there.

AroundTheWorld and kjayp like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And 25 years later, it's still ongoing.

kjayp likes this.
  10. kjayp

I think we need contracts...
    We're gonna have a ton of space... but are we gonna attract talent? I mean we'll attract someone more interested in getting overpaid.. lol
    I've always figured we were gonna have to make a trade for a disgruntled star - or based on potential upside...
    I'd assume we'd haveta take back bad contracts to get that disgruntled star - but do we have the contracts to facilitate such a move...
    once Ego expires... we dont want to part with Green or Smith... sure we'd include Tate no prob... but then its all chump change contracts...

11. kjayp

TY!
    I'm just trying to figure out my escape route - without being taken to the cleaners... bc she's already said she's gonna contest the prenup... smh...
    - but thats my own private lil hell... lol!

harold bingo and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I generally agree, but teams score at a higher PPP on transition than isolation. Isolation should generally be utilized as a last resort. Even though the Rockets are above average versus the league at isolation, their isolation PPP is still below league average regardless of playtype.

For half court possessions, the Rockets need a playmaker that can run the PnR at a higher PPP than Green (the Rockets best currently) can now so they can take full advantage of when the roll guy gets the ball. Green possible could improve here, but guessing the playmaker is not a current Rocket.

Nook likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When you have cap space, you don't need contracts to match salary - Just assets to make the deal

Nook, kjayp and Joe Joe like this.
  14. kjayp

not at all?
    We can trade just draft pix for contracts? no salary matching required?
    ive never seen it... its always about salary matching and within 125% or whatever...
    i guess just not accustomed to dealing from that far under the cap... lol

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Grrr.

Nook likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

There was a screen shot of Gordon liking something about coach Sampson saying your coach, nor PG can't have a bad day at practice if you want to win games.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's pretty obvious to me that the Silas/KPJ combo is what is holding us back.

Both need to go.

Little Bit, Nook, King1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like Houston and the Texans marriage..

Corrosion likes this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question for KPJ will be — would he be willing to take a role on the 2nd unit? If he would embrace that role, he can be a nice piece of the future. I think a 2nd unit with Sengun as the offensive lead, KPJ as the secondary playmaker and Eason causing havoc would actually be a lot of fun — in my hypothetical draft Wemby, sign Harden world.

It’s not a fair question to ask him now — not when the alternative is Daishen Nix or TyTy Washington (separately, the minutes in the last game where Silas had him play off ball to KPJ were infuriating). But the Rockets lack of point guard is seriously hurting Jabari and Jalen.

I agree with your take that Jalen is probably not a top 10ish NBA player that you need to win a title. I do think he’s got more levels to him, and his ability to add to his game has been promising thus far. He’d be a lot of fun paired with Scoot, or Wemby.

Nook and King1 like this.
  20. conquistador#11

If you're the GM or Coach, experimenting with a line up of
    Sengun/Wemby/Jabari/ Green/ KPJ or

Sengun/Smith/KPJ/ Green/ Scoot v2

should be fair game. It's not like we're headed to the playoffs. If it doesn't work, you do what needs to be done. But I would like them to really give it a shot. Other than Nix, who I just think isn't ready at the time, there is none of our young guys I dislike. The Wemby lineup would improve us to average defensively. I'll take it! The Scoot line up I feel will still struggle defending outside shooters. I'll be ecstatic with 1 or 2 tho. Watch us get pick 4.