1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

transgendering the kids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Sep 21, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tweets like that are obviously always "exaggerated" to make a point.

The point appearing to be here that there is an assumption by the person making that tweet that there are some adolescents for whom the assumption that they might be trans might turn out to be driven by the current "Zeitgeist" and might turn out to be non-permanent in nature.

And the point being that some parents, driven by the current "Zeitgeist" might be too quick to assume that an adolescent's gender identity perception has changed permanently vs. at least encouraging their child to not make permanent decisions based on a perception that might change later (which is what you did and what I would do).

I read the tweet as making the point that some, but not all teenagers and parents are too quick to make permanent decisions, when we all know that adolescents might go through phases and change their mind later. In the case of the adolescent, it might (or might not) turn out to be something where they change their mind again later, and in the case of the parent, they should not rush to encouraging irreversible decisions just because they don't want to look reactionary/not understanding.

I didn't read it as saying that there cannot be adolescents where the perception change of their gender identity is real and will not change again later, and I didn't read it as saying that all parents who are understanding and respectful of their child's identity finding process are bad parents.

However, I can see how it might be understood that way by someone who has just been personally going through that process, and how that might be hurtful and insulting.

That was not my intention, sorry.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More reason why I’m glad I’m not on Twitter, never have been, or have any intention of being on.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can you kindly go back to the image of the tweet and show me anywhere the writer of it used the word “some”? Keep dancing around it and making assumptions about her intent all you want. There’s no nuance there. Why can’t you just own that? You’ve been on this “anti-woke” and “anti-trans” rampage for quite a while now. Yeah, there is a extremely small minority of parents and their kids who are taking things too far too fast. But you are making it out to be a much bigger problem and that it’s as simple as “being a better parent”…whatever that means.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think it is in question how "extremely small" that minority is.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. It is quantifiable how many do which things. That is already very small. The amount that do them and too fast or extreme is necessarily smaller than that.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The Repubs: Be afraid of trans, blacks, Muslims, immigrants, fentanyl, terrorists etc so you won't notice as we suck up more and more of the wealth. Sadly Tinman and lot's of little guys have fallen for this.

Xopher likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So from an early attempt to be “reasonable” when discussing this topic, you’ve moved on to joining the clowns.

I avoided this thread like the plague for quite a while because I knew it would devolve into overt bigotry against a tiny minority, becoming a home for members who search for extreme “examples” of behavior so they can use them to let their innate bigotry run free. That I would end up adding to my ignore list, because I cannot abide overt bigotry against those who are simply trying to live their lives. I wasn’t wrong.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...ender-youth-population-has-doubled-in-5-years

What do you think is the reason the number has doubled in the last 5 years?

9. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Everyone should be able to live their life as they please, as far as I am concerned. I was responding to @FranchiseBlade's post who said the number is extremely small.

And as far as children are concerned, they do follow fads (which doesn't mean it's a fad for everyone). See: goth, punk, etc.

So if the current "rebellious" thing is to say you identify as a different gender, might that have to do with it? How else do you explain such a drastic change?

Again, I think people should be able to live their life as they please, but I also think adolescents should be protected from making irreversible decisions they might regret later.

cml750 and Xerobull like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Two easy answers, off the top of my head:
    * It might feel safer to admit non-conventional feelings on the topic, so maybe we're approaching a closer approximation of the "true" number.
    * Along the lines of your "fad" / cultural construct thing, young people might feel more free to experiment with their identity when they see and hear of more classmates / friends doing such things.

Mrs. B-Bob had an interesting take on all this recently. A few generations ago, women said, "f this, we can wear pants and even blue jeans if we want." Then a subsequent generation said, "f this, I can have a career if I want." Then eventually, "f this, I should make as much as a man for doing the same work." And maybe some of the latest cultural shift, for the younger generations, is just "f all this standard gender identity crap -- it's not doing anyone any good anyway."

Younger generations always make older generations uncomfortable, for better or worse. Not dismissing anyone's concerns in either direction, but after first being surprised by students wanting to go by "they," I finally said, "oh, so this is how you're going to make me feel old now. Okay. I would have preferred some new kind of death metal, but I don't get to choose the vector." (shrug)

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He Man and She ra

not

He ra and She man

the 80s taught us right

@Commodore

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks, I agree that these are the two most obvious possible answers.

My personal opinion is that the second one is likely the majority of cases. And it's also my opinion that that is not a desirable effect, if it leads to some people making irreversible decisions they might regret later.

Feel free to disagree, but I hope you don't think that me having that opinion makes me a fascist or Nazi.

@Deckard seems to have joined the club of those who have become so intolerant of viewpoints other than their own that they demonize the people who hold them.

That's a pity.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't want to comment on other posters really, but the topic itself is fascinating. I do think people have different gender settings, even ones that don't necessarily match their biology very well, and I also think environmental and cultural factors can play a nontrivial role.

I give my two cents here less weight than others simply b/c I do not have kids and I don't have to face some of the difficult conversations that many others do.

Cheers.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But do you think I am a fascist or Nazi for my opinion? :confused:

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what if the amount of people identifying trans has doubled?

According to pew research about 1.6% of the US population identifies as transgendered with 5% under 30 doing so.
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...s-different-from-their-sex-assigned-at-birth/
    That still leaves the vast overwhelming amount of the population not identifying as trans.

In my quick search I can’t find stats showing how many actually undergo gender reassignment surgery but my guess is that that number is even much less.

The numbers didn’t support trans people s being a threat to society and especially not the hyperbolic threats that somehow the species will go extinct. While trans people might be more accepted and as such young people might question their gender it doesn’t mean that they will become trans.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The people that hate you just light up when they see your post like the tiles on the Billie Jean video
    @Jontro

they just
    Wanna be starting something

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are probably numerous reasons why. Some of it has to do with a moderate increase in acceptance which is a good thing.

The amount has increased but isn't really all that prevalent.

Some have definitely been beneficial. So fewer than that are a negative.

19. Nook

Nook Member

No, I don’t. I think sometimes you go too far down the rabbit hole though. I will give you credit for admitting that sometimes you go too far.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Trans people have been hiding for decades. Afraid. There is more tolerance now, and those that were in hiding are trying to live their authentic life. There still is a long way to go in society in terms of tolerance though.

Nook and subtomic like this.