1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at KPJ being our best player.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ could have more than 12 assists a game if he teamates could hit at least 40% of their shots....people just suck on this team at shooting.

KPJ is becomming the leader and is the best player, and other players are starting to defer to him.... I know that bothers some, but if you take a step back from your biases, you can enjoy watching a very talented NBA player blossom.

DD

#3442 DaDakota, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, he's still got work to do, but the numbers from his last 20 games are encouraging

KPJ last 20.png

Roomba and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Correct. He's slightly below average

cmlmel77, maj21 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah. He's averaging about 6 assists to 12 potential assists a game. That's relatively normal, if the Rockets were a good shooting team hed have maybe 7.

If he were an elite creator like Harden or Halliburton he'd create 18-19 potential assists a game

Roomba likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Divide 12 potential assists by time of possession and see were he falls in the league.

7. DaDakota

He has been......

DD

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

All I know is, Jokic/Nuggets are 10/9 on the road.

Unless SOF's raise the elevation a mile high in Houston....Rockets won't have that same
    home court advantage.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can we agree that Jalen and KPJ aren’t working well in the backcourt together or is that too controversial to say? I get that Jalen needs to take some responsibility, but is the his turn my turn offense good for Jalen’s development? I don’t think it is. It would seem to me that an offense that moves the ball with more structure would be better for Jalen.

Joe Rocket, Believe It! and Roomba like this.
  10. DaDakota

No, I think they are fine, what we lack is a system on both offense and defense.

Both KPJ and Jalen need a coach and a system.

DD

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

57.4 TS is not bad at all. I'm doing my best to remove my biases on KPJ based on my opinion on him being miscast in his role...and looking at his numbers, he's definitely having a far better season this year than the last two.

I think that if there was a true point guard on this team, KPJ would be able to focus on what he's good at and his efficiency would skyrocket. He really does have all the tools.

But I will probably continue to be frustrated at him until he's utilized properly, fair or not

AlperenSengun and ElPigto like this.
  12. JazzLakerHater

My frustration is not so much with him as it is with the organization. It just feels like they are prioritizing KPJ’s development at the expense of Jalen and Jabari’s development.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think in truth what's happening is that Stone does not believe that KPJ bottlenecking the offense should hurt the young players' development because - in his mind - they have excellent coaches and a couple of veterans around.

I think he is wrong. It's not a MAJOR catastrophe, but in my eyes it has probably slowed our development by 5-10%. I guess to Stone, that's worth it for a better pick.

My only criticism of this whole thing is he should have asked KPJ to bulk up to play the 3 and brought in a vet at PG - split the duties between the two. He's not a basketball guy so it's possible he did not anticipate that KPJ's position would matter so much. It's affecting several players' development, bringing instability where calm is needed. It's not KPJ's fault but we can totally achieve Stone's desired losses while having a floor general to help and mentor KPJ.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm a big fan of Jalen Green. To the point I said Green would be the next MJ or Kobe
    of our thinner-leaner NBA time. But before we drafted Jalen, I said he was a little
    too light and would gain about 10 pounds between year one and two....and then
    another 5 to 10 pounds between year two and three. Then Jalen would be owning
    this league in year three.

Jalen Green Rookie season: 21/22
    first 46 games 14.8 pts/3.2 rebs/2.3 Ast.....last 21 games averaged 21 pts/3.8 rebs/3.3 Ast
    gained about 8 pounds in off-season
    Second Season: 22/23
    First 36 games 21.5 pts/ 4.3 rebs/ 3.6 Ast...... [ yet to come ]
    I predicted Green would average 25 pts per game (prior to season)

Green is getting his chances to run the combo guard thing to this point.
    I don't think he is being stunted in growth.....he is right where I had him
    projected. Green needs some help running the team right now or he
    would have 7 turnovers a game and be demoralized to the point he may
    not come back from.

Green will be fine.

Jabari is/was my top pick on my wish list this past draft. Paolo and Sengun
    would not coexist. One would have to go, Sengun. In essence Jabari compliments
    or fits our weaknesses and fortifies some strengths the Rockets will definitely
    utilize in the future.

This season for Jabari is about getting familiar with opposing teams
    players and coaches and their schemes. Learn as much of the system,
    NBA speed, schedules, and gain some weight/muscle.

You can see he has been working on his dribble and it has improved some.
    At seasons end, he will receive a dossier on what he needs to work on.

Jabari will be fine

KPj continues to go from riding in the car as a passenger to actually
    driving the car. Many highschools and colleges have their plays
    called from the coach on the sidelines.

Even guards going to basketball point guard camps or clinics have some
    trouble getting the nuances required to be successful at the NBA level.

KPj season: 21/22 (first season predominantly as PG)
    First 41 games 13.6 pts/ 4.0 rebs/ 6.2 Ast......last 20 games 19.7 pts/ 5.3 rebs/ 6.1 Ast
    Second season: 22/23
    35 games: 19.4 pts/ 5.5 rebs/ 5.8 Ast....... Rest of Season [ yet to come ]

I have KPj at 20 pts/5.5 rebs/7.8 Ast/ 2.7 TOV/ 57 TS%/ 34 (Ast%)/ 14 (TOV%)/ 22 (USG%)
    Currently:19.4 pts/5.5 rebs/5.8 Ast/ 3.7 TOV/ 54.8 TS%/ 27.6 (Ast%)/ 17.5 (TOV%)/ 25.8 (USG%)

With exception to USG% I think KPj will meet all my projections by seasons end.
    Rockets have one of the easiest schedules from now until the All Star Break.

KPj will be just fine.

Big issues for the Rockets is lack of strength at Wing or SF position.
    No opposition for Luka Doncic, Paul George, Zion, LeBron, Julius Randall,
    Keldon Johnson, Draymond, etc.

I need Jabari and Tari to add muscle next in the off season. Add a Cam Whitmore
    or additional good help defenders like Wembanyama.

15. maj21

maj21 Member

You can’t say that without including Jalen. We run actions all game for him and he’s allowed to jack up whatever shot he wants. He also drives into double teams when shooters are wide open. Everyone gotta stop saying KPJ is prioritized over everyone, it’s him and Jalen! Jabari and others would get more opportunities if they would kick the ball out more, which KPJ has done a better job of doing lately

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

@Bobbythegreat @ApacheWarrior isn’t crazy how people got pissed at me for talking **** about Sengun, saying that they don’t allow people to **** on the young guys.. I haven’t seen not one of them say anything to king1 about him calling KPJ a bum, loser, trash, or whatever else. We can’t even critique his game without people blowing off the handle. Idk, just kinda think it’s bullshit

ApacheWarrior and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, you really shouldn't be taking player only fans or mindless trolls like "king1" seriously.

Of course they are going to say stupid things... it's what they do. It would be more surprising if they ever said something of substance.

18. King1

The 6 losers who like each others posts are the the idiots who support KPJ

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. King1

You're a clown and an alcoholic which says everything

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the point that's missing here is that Green as a off guard is not getting easy looks. His unassisted fgm rate is high for a off guard. It's the same as a primary ball handler. Which shouldn't be the case. He should be getting easier looks in a structured offense.

Most of his points he really has to work for.

AlperenSengun likes this.