1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Watched every glorious second. Thank you sir!

tehG l i d e likes this.
  3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Pardon me gents, I have to go watch some more vlogs so I can decide who we should target next.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Santander is a league average corner OF w/ 2 years of control. Nothing special about him and he would create a roster crunch but the Astros could likely get him easy enough and cheap enough if they wanted.

Rodriguez is a 60 rated prospect and #4 prospect in all baseball. Those are rare and expensive.

Generally it would take 2 55 rated guys to equal the value of a 60 rated guy. The Astros only have1, Hunter Brown. So just to play along and extrapolate let's put together an offer Baltimore MAY actually consider.

Santander = a 45 and a 40 rated prospect. = Misail Tamarez and Ryan Clifford.

Rodriguez requires a 55, 50, and a 45 since the team has only 1 55 Hunter Brown, Pedro Leon, and Joe Perez.

Westberg requires 2 50 rated players: Yainer Diaz and Colin Barber.

I still think it's 50/50 if Baltimore accepts it but a FAIR offer for Santander, Rodriguez, and Westberg

Is

Hunter Brown, Pedro Leon, Yainer Diaz, Colin Barber, Ryan Clifford, Joe Perez, and Misail Tamarez.

Whitley and Maton have no value so would not be acceptable. Meyers could be but would just replace one of the lowest level prospects like Tamarez in this deal.

5. Major

Major Member

To be fair, that's pretty consistent at getting outs.

the shark likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Could have been longer! It was missing the Wild Card win in 2015 and Correa's extra inning walk off HR in game 2 of the 2019 ALCS.

desihooper likes this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's more than people are viewing it as cause they are buying out 3 arbitration years

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Plus why would they want Meyers, they have a guy named Mullins in CF

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Id love that move. If Abreu can be stretched out, you’ve added another potential ToR to the rotation while maintaining a strong bullpen. Also makes a lot of sense from a cost perspective.

The offensive question marks are not a pressing issue. Our 1-8 are as good as any in baseball. We can address any potential holes that exist or develop at the trade deadline.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A++++ if we get both under contract

11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d really love a LH bat off the bench (and Profar seems like the best available and a LH Reliever (and there’s Chafin and a few others with better than league average ERA, Ground Ball rate, K rate, etc)

Getting Valdez and Javier for a few years of free agency (at around 100 mil each) is winning the offseason with the insane money lesser injury prone starters are collecting. Not too mention 6 starters locked in for 3-4+ seasons.

I like keeping some money around for the deadline and give some young guys some reps and see what sticks and what doesn’t. Jake McCarthy is my favorite OF, I imagine a good amount of catchers will be available, etc

#7911 Mr.Pringles, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  12. Chamillionaire

Extending Javier, Valdez and Tucker seems to be the smart play here.

Not sure anyone on the market is an upgrade over guys we already have.

Marshall Bryant and Uprising like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Do you think Valdez is negatively affected by the new shift rules? I feel like while he likely won't implode, he is probably going to not repeat last year's numbers. Javier's style of play is far more sustainable (very K-heavy) but some people question if he can handle a 180 innings/year load.

astros123 and Chamillionaire like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the more ground ball dependent a pitcher is, the more the new rules will effect him.

However, I think it will not be enough to take a Cy Young calibur pitcher to an ineffective one.

He may not be Cy Young contending but I bet he still is All Star calibur.

He still Ks quite a few batters and I just see 1 additional single per 10-12 innings.

Tomstro and Chamillionaire like this.
  15. Chamillionaire

Valdez is still gonna have that filthy curve and a 96-97mph fastball to go along with it.
    I think Javier showed enough last year that he can carry that over going forward.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yup. Astros have spoken to the agents for a lot of guys on the team to see what they can get done.

Valdez and Javier aren’t a big surprise. It will be curious to see if Javier takes the money now after turning it down before, I would assume they will offer him more now and buy out 2-3 years of free agency. Framber will be harder because of his age.

Astros have spoken to agents of some surprising players. They have spoken about Chas McCormick, Brown, Abreu and Pena.

They are going to talk to the agent for Bregman as well.

I was told Tucker and Framber may be hard to sign.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Valdez has matured into a complete pitcher with amazing stuff. I would be a little worried about doing a full extension on Javier though. If he loses any lift on his fastball he's just a AAA pitcher with a 93 MPH fastball. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this just my opinion.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Because one can never watch this too many times.....

#7918 Uprising, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

Tyler Naquin wouldn't be a bad pickup either

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  20. Yordan The Great

3 go ahead home runs in the 6th inning or later with your team behind in the score.

Nobody can say they have done that twice in their entire career. Yordan did it 3 times in just a single postseason.