1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you were GM of the Rockets and looking at this unbalanced roster, would you trade arguably your most valuable piece in 20 year old Jalen Green for 21 year old LaMelo Ball?

That would move KPJ to SG, and give us an elite PG to play in the backcourt, one that makes everyone better.

I know we would all trade KPJ for him but Charlotte wouldn't do that it would need to be a good quality player - and Green fits the bill, they may not even do that straight up, may need like EGo and the Milwaukee FRP etc.

The question here is- who here has the "Stones" to make a move to unbalance the roster but having to move an up and coming piece?

Take this as a fun poll - let's have some fun in the downtime between XMas and New Years.

Would ya?

DD

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Hell nah, come on brother

BamBam, DreamShook, 34to11 and 11 others like this.
  3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I love Lamelo, I’d give anyone up including Sengun and Jabari to pair him with Jalen Green

4. DaDakota

I can respect that, but why not?

LaMelo has better numbers across the board than Jalen - he is an elite level PG - who pushes the pace and makes others better.

I would trade anyone on our roster for him (Maybe not Jabari)......

So, why should we hold onto "Maybes" when we can get a "Given"?

I wonder if Charlotte would do that though and it doesn't unbalance our roster though....maybe KPJ, Sengun and EGo for LaMelo.....I would do that....

DD

SamFisher, Dobbizzle and ilovehtownbb like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I doubt the Hornets would trade their franchise player, but the Rockets don’t have anyone on their roster better than LaMelo so yes.

roslolian, HROZ, GotGame15 and 3 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

That is how I feel......can you please place your vote.

DD

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I don’t think Charlotte would trade Lamelo for anything less than Giannis, Luka or Jayson Tatum

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Maybe, that is why this is a "Hypothetical" for fun thread.

Also, meant to see if fans can break out of their "My favorite" mindset into more of an asset discussion.

DD

Dobbizzle and bluffkin like this.
  9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Yeah I feel that, I’m not falling in love with anyone on the roster.

If a Mobley/Francis for Mcgrady situation arises I have no problem with Stone making it happen

we need to swing and take chances as long as it’s a smart move. No giving up 5 years worth of 1st round picks

10. dmoneybangbang

I would do it.

Green, Jabari, and 2023 FRP are our most valuable assets.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Posting a new "Can fans break out of their my favorite attitude?" thread while again hammering in your favorite narrative.

Classic!

12. DaDakota

Context....

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4432816/lamelo-ball

LaMelo is 21 years old.

Career avg of:

43%FG
    36.6% 3pt
    6.3 Rb
    7.1 Ast
    18.8ppg

Green is 20 years old. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4437244/jalen-green

Career Avg of.
    42.2% FG
    31.7% 3pt
    3.7 Rb
    3.6 ast
    18.7 ppg

And you are honestly saying Green is the better prospect? Look I get loving Green, I like him a lot too, but LaMelo is a Superstar level player - a guy on a completely different tract than Green - I would trade anyone on the team for him, outside of Jabari (But might trade him too depending upon the rest).

Try to step back and look at what is good for the overall roster, and not who your favorite player is, and what jersey's you have bought.

DD

SamFisher likes this.
  13. DaDakota

I have no narrative......this is meant for fun to see whether people can break out of their favorite player mode and think like an asset manager.

You don't have to play if you don't want to......

I already said I would clearly trade KPJ for him but I don't believe he would have the cache to bring in LaMelo.....so the question is you have to give up something of value to get something of value that balances things out....would ya?

DD

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj fans always praising the man but when it comes down to it, supposedly green has the "Better trade value".

Trading our rookie before he even finish contract just to "roster balance" is dumb as fk. I rather we cut kpj a$$ or move him to sixth man and draft Scoot before getting rid of green.

We are not in a position of power In this trade, the hornets will demand more.

PeterKingX and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Lamelo is pretty clearly a better player than Jalen is right now. But that's obviously not the whole story, because we have to compare them as prospects, not just "who is better today". Jalen is younger, arguably has a higher ceiling, and Lamelo has his own issues with defense, injuries, effort, etc. I think it's close, I voted yes, but I'm pretty undecided.

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No, but I'd give up a lot to pair him with Green.

17. xaos

xaos Member

You do what you can to pair the Lamelo's with the Green's... not trade one for the other.

Only, and I mean only reason you do it is because you believe Lamelo has a higher ceiling than Green, which is a respectable position given Lamelo's talents. You don't do it because you are trying to decide between Jalen Green and Kevin Freaking Porter Jr and you need to rebalance the roster on the 2nd year of a rebuild.

I personally believe Green has the higher ceiling even though I LOVE Lamelos game. Dude is fun to watch and one of my favorite up and coming players. Lamelo has been the better player so far and I believe both will be somewhere between star and superstars. Green will lead the league in scoring one day with enough playmaking ability that it's a weapon. Ball will lead the league in assist one day with high level scoring ability.

We drafted Green and have been building around him. Giving up on him for anyone who already isn't a dominant force would be just shuffling the deck when you already have an ace in the hand.

18. DaDakota

Yes, I agree. So, would Ego, Green, and the Milw FRP be enough?

It balances our roster and we get a guaranteed "Franchise" player over a maybe.

DD

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean it's definitely reasonable if you think LaMelo has the higher ceiling. His skill level is definitely higher than Green's. Superior ball handler with significantly more creative passing skills. He even has size over Green.

Green is obviously the superior athlete and in some senses he is a generational athlete. His second and third steps are all time level. He has that fluid controlled speed that allows him to be like cats when they somehow crawl between the space between the door and carpet similar to players like AI and Morant but at 6'5".

So the trajectory of whether who becomes better is how much Jalen improves on his skillsets in the ball handling and passing department. Because improved skills in a natural talent that can move the way Green does is a really high ceiling unique player.

It is reasonable to think LeMelo will have the better career. In fact it is the more likely outcome. I as a major Jalen fan can admit to this.

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Lamelo is still pretty far from a guaranteed franchise guy