1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn’t it the SF insiders reporting it? You think their sources are Boras?

And the Giants can easily deny the report that it was the ankle and not be in violation of anything. As it is, if somebody is reporting it and it’s false, they have a right to clear their name.

The Brady Aiken small UCL eventually came out despite health record protection.

3. Yordan The Great

So now the report coming out is that the Giants got hold of some sonograms from his birth and they did not like the way he was sitting in the womb.

RunninRaven and Nick like this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was reading some baseball article this morning about the Mets spending this season and they listed Correa's salary as among their new signings. I thought it was a mistake until I did a search. That's shocking how much money they've spent.

5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Of course it came from Boras. Everybody else has either nothing to gain or something to lose or both. If Boras says the sky is blue I would want at least two additional sources with no clear ties to Boras for conformation.

6. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Yep. And then what happens if the Mets don’t like his results?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is Correa a generarational player and Pena is not?

What about Correa is so much better than Pena It's certainly not the bat and Pena's is not that much worse defensivley.

What about Correa makes generational?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well the Giants can and should respond if it’s false. It makes them look like idiots if it’s true and would hamper their ability to gain trust if future free agents.

jim1961 likes this.
  9. Yordan The Great

You just heard about the Correa signing this morning? Or what he's going to make with the Mets?

10. Yordan The Great

Correa has shown to come up big in the playoffs, that's his calling card, and not a bad one to hold.

But yeah he's overhyped overall. A great defensive SS with a solid bat. Can hit you 20 HRs.

Is he A-Rod generational? No not even close.

If A-Rod is the measuring stick for such a declaration, then how in the hell is someone gonna fix their face to say Correa is generational?

#170 Yordan The Great, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I thought Correa was still going to SF. I was on a break! I'm shocked at what the Mets have spent for the upcoming season overall.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think they can. They never signed Correa. I highly doubt Boras would have advised Correa to allow the Giants to get medical information and share it without signing him.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Correa was the #1 pick in the draft. Pena was a 3rd round pick. Correa made the jump to MLB at age 20 and had an OPS of .857 that year. Pena was promoted at 24 and had a .715 OPS. Correa at 24 had an OPS of .926. His career OPS is more than 150 points higher than Pena. It most certainly is, the bat.

Pena's actually got a glove to match Correa's. But he was never that much of an offensive prospect, and was much worse last season. The postseason performance was magical, but the regular season was pretty ordinary. The difference isn't worth $300 mil, but you don't have to build Pena up by tearing Carlos down. He's a rare combination of glove and bat at the position.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They don’t have to share the info. But the reporting out there that it was the ankle can be confirmed or denied, especially if it isn’t true.

Drelich starting to stir **** up again as to why they initially thought it may not require surgery.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Like it or not

1st overall picks start at a higher level.

He has done several things to stay there:
    Rookie of the year
    Playoff performances
    2 time all star
    Gold and platinum glove
    Top 5 MVP voting.

All of that KEPT Correa at the top of the MLB current impressiveness and future greatness list.

Pena started as a 3rd rd pick and gradually raised himself from prospect to likely MLBer to Likely starter to future all star to ALCS and WS MVP to gold glove.

He still is not up to Correa's level but if he can have another couple of seasons like 2022 he will be there

I am speaking of national "top players" or "top shortstop" expectations.

I love Pena and am so happy he is the starting SS on my favorite team.

But if you asked 100 "knowledgeable" people which of them will have the better season in 2023, 75 of them would Correa.

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i think he'll be a Mets regardless the outcome of his physical. Cohen spend his money blindly, even on a injury prone "star" player like Correa

17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Peña has a Gold Glove, WS MVP, and ALCS MVP all in the same year.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok and what does that have to do with Correa being a Generational player?

I am not building Pena up nor tearing Correa down, I just don't think he is a generational player.

Does a 150 point higher OPS make him generationaly better?
    Ok but how does any of that make him gernerational?

Is he Barry Bonds or Mike Trout?

Is he better than Bagwell or Biggio? I don't even think they were Generational players.

This is not about who is a better player it's about if Correa is a Generational player.

I mean is he even a lock to make the HOF?

roadtrip and Rvo384 like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Confidential information isn't allowed to be shared just because it would help out the party. Confirming or denying medical conditions are based on the medical information provided by Correa (i.e., it is sharing even if they are being truthful). Maybe the Giants could sue a reporter and ask a judge to admit the medical information into records, but that is doubtful.

There is a reason MLB teams just put a player on the illness IL without specifying if it is COVID or not. They aren't allowed to confirm or deny conditions not incurred while playing without consent of the player. This is the same.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How do you think the Brady Aiken short UCL report came to the surface?

If a reporter runs a full story claiming the Giants used an injury from 2014 to back out of a deal when they really just had cold feet… absolutely the Giants can refute that if it’s not true.

More than likely, they will leak the ‘truth’ (as somebody in the Astros did with Aiken when they were getting all sorts of heat), or they will say nothing and the stories will likely carry more weight.