1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most boring finals in nba history on the horizon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pooh222, May 31, 2001.

1. pooh222

pooh222 Member

If the Sixers eventually win the series with the Bucks, the NBA finals could be one of the most lopsided, boring finals ever. The Bucks at least have a chance with their scoring options to make the finals interesting, but the Lakers would wipe the floor with the walking wounded Sixers.

------------------

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

My question to you.

Why aren't the Bucks wiping the floor with the walking wounded Sixers?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

3. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Because the Bucks are inconsitent. When they are hitting their shots they look like world beaters, when they miss, they fall apart and start looking like crap.

------------------

4. Band Geek Mobster

It's all about matchups Mango.

Mutombo - Johnson (slight advantage Sixers)
    Hill - Thomas (advantage Bucks)
    Robinson - Mckie (advantage Bucks)
    Injured Iverson - Allen (push)
    Snow - Cassell (advantage Bucks)

Oh wait, I guess matchups don't matter that much afterall...

------------------
    I don't want to waste my time
    And become a casualty of society.
    I'll never fall in line
    Become a victim of your conformity and back down.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited May 30, 2001).]

5. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The Sixers have a better chance to knock off the Lakers than the Bucks do. I believe that the Bucks were one of the 10 worst defensive teams in the league, and unlike the Lakers, they can't just "turn it on" in this area. I've heard people talk about how the Bucks offense could pose a challenge to LA, but haven't the Lakers already faced a better offensive version of the Bucks in the Kings, and wiped the floor with them? Add in the fact that Sacramento was a better defensive team than the Bucks during the regular season, and had the one guy who people thought could stop Kobe in Doug Christie, and it doesn't look too good for Milwaukee. If a better version of their team got killed by the Lakers, why do you Bucks supporters feel it would be any different with Milwaukee?

The 76er's have the one of, if not the only guy in the league who can slow down Shaq and change the flow of a game without even having to do anything. Motumbo's presence in the lane alone can change a team's offensive game plan. In Iverson, they have a guy who is going to cancel out Kobe's points, and most likely outscore him. The Sixers, like the Lakers, are not weak defensively at any position. Iverson, Jones, and McKie are a tandem that I feel can contain Kobe, or at least a guy like Jones can stop their role players like Rick Fox from making an impact offensively.

Defense wins championships, and fittingly, arguably the two best defensive teams in the league will meet in the finals.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited May 30, 2001).]

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I can tell who you're referring to with that comment. And, unfortunately, those are not the kind of matchups I mean when I say games are about matchups. Anyone can draw a starting lineup comparison between two teams. If you consider that as matchups when saying NBA games aren't about matchups, then I guess your point of view is correct.

But, I am referring to the team game and the team matchups when I say that the Bucks have some matchups in their favor if they were to meet the Lakers. The Sixers play much better transition D and perimeter D than the Lakers (who I said the Bucks matched up well with), and in the key matchups today, the Sixers had the upper hand. Notice how the Sixers started to succeed when they limited the Bucks transition buckets? They showed a stat in the 4th quarter at some point that said at the half the Bucks were ahead of the Sixers 19-4 in fast break points. In the second half, the Sixers were ahead in that department 4-0, and that may have made the difference in the game. That is the Sixers taking advantage of one of the key matchups.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

7. Mango

pooh222,

The only player that seems to have a steady game is R Allen who goes off when matched up a shorter and hurting Iverson.

If Kobe is checking R Allen, who would provide the offense for the Bucks against the Lakers?

The only games that the Bucks won are when Iverson was out and when he should have been out due to pain. The series would be over if the Sixers could have found a touch more offense the other night when Iverson was not playing.

Iverson hurting bad and his game is way off, yet the Bucks are down in the series?

Mango

------------------

8. Band Geek Mobster

Actually I was jabbing at verse and his little matchup breakdown he did with the Bucks and the Lakers. [​IMG]

Honestly I'm not even watching these games because I find them almost unwatchable. I can't stand watching the Sixers play, especially with all of the bricks Iverson throws up. Mutombo is also another player I can't handle watching because of his scary postup game.

I just think it would be funny if the Bucks lost after a whole thread was made with predictions on who's going to win the Lakers-Bucks Final.

------------------
    I don't want to waste my time
    And become a casualty of society.
    I'll never fall in line
    Become a victim of your conformity and back down.

9. Mango

TPL,

Amen.

Mango

------------------

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm telling you, Philly is gonna win it all!!!

This team has more heart than the rest of the league combined! They make the Spurs look like little pansies. Eric Snow plays with a broken foot, AI plays with broken everything, half the team is injured, and Tyrone Hill's father is at death's door.

Everything is against them and yet they just keep going . . . and they will keep going, right to a finals win!! The ECF has been just unbelievable this season, and I am so excited about the finals -- I think it's gonna be the best finals since the 1994 Rockets/Knicks matchup.

------------------
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

11. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

I believe LA-Milwaukee would be a much more interesting series. The Bucks spread the floor and utilize the mid-range jumper. And Kobe owns AI, I remember a game last year on NBC where Kobe held Allen to like 4 points. Also I believe Kobe would be guarding Sam Cassell and let the much smaller Fisher hold Ray Allen.

------------------

12. Steve_Francis_rules

The 76ers won't look as good against the Lakers as they do against the Bucks because going up against Shaq, Mutombo won't be getting so many ridiculous calls anymore.

------------------

13. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I just know if the Sixers end up in the finals, it's going to be a run away in the Lakers favor. By some miracle if the Sixers were to beat the Lakers in the finals, it would be one of the biggest upsets ever. All of the teams the Lakers swept away in the Western playoff series were better than the Sixers. If the Lakers were to go into the Finals and let the Sixers beat them, they would never live it down. Yes the Sixers have great heart to be doing what they are doing right now, but the Lakers should cream them. If they don't it would be a shock to me.

------------------

14. PhiSlammaJamma

And the bucks have proven they can beat the Lakers this year. The only reason the Bucks lost was because Thomas and Caffey thought they were shooters. The Bucks just need to do a couple of things

1) When behind - only Robinson, Allen, and Cassell should be allowed to shoot. I found it shocking that Thomas and Caffey were the two handling the ball at the end of the game. The Bucks didn't even get shots.

2) When Ahead Caffey and Thomas should be allowed to take a few of their boneheaded shots to keep them happy.

3) Run like they did in the first quarter. It really did give them good looks at the basket.

4) Don't double Mutombo. Simply guard his move into the lane. He can't go left.

5) Don't leave McKie. He's the only offensive threat on the team. Snow is gaining confidence, but he's still inconsistent at best.

6) Somebody tell Hunter to stop shooting. He's lost it.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Lakers should cream the Sixers, but IMO, would beat up on the Bucks even more. The Sixers may surprise just because they are the opposite of the teams the Lakers have beat up on. The Sixers often shoot poorly but still know how to win because of defense, rebounding, hustle, etc. Teams like the Kings, and the Spurs (werent they suppossed to be the best 3 point shooting team in the league??) are similar to Milwaukee in that when they're offense is going, then they are very good. But we've seen L.A. knows how to stiffle that kind of offense, or at least match it with better offense of its own. That's why the defensive minded Sixers have a better shot going up against the Lakers IMO. But only one team will get the chance so well never know.

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

16. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

ummm... so u saying.. 76ers has better Defense than Spurs?

------------------