1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defectors...... I'm drawing a blank

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Kemahkeith, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats cool. Id rather not spend my time in cyber dick measuring contests. I use this board as a therapeutic release of fan energy and an informal educational experience as Ive been able to learn more about the game from some of the guys here. I just choose not to dwell amongst the negative energy. Not to say Im not prone to emotional responses as a human, but I really do try to offer a grounded arena for discourse and this board offers that. Sure, we can have our spats and passionate exchanges, but dudes really get personal over there at least from my perspective. Im glad some of you guys have had a good experience on that site and can enjoy the content.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. raining threes

Agreed and they need to do things differently and learn from the past. Particularly in the warroom. Like instead of Carr pick the best players. Like if you really like a guy move up and get your guy dont get jumped in the draft like RS/BOB did with Mahomes/Lockett/Jimmy G. One thing that gives me hope that this is changing is that Caserio really wanted Metchie and he did what was necessary to get his guy.

Another thing that needs to be done differently is guys from the Shanny/Reid/McVay coaching tree that coach QB's seem to make good HC's. This is why I'm hoping LaFluer, Kalfka becomes the next HC of the Texans. They're innovative offensive minds and if you have to over pay to get them to come to Kirby you do it. I also like Philly's OC/DC. Going cheap on the HC hires is a big reason why the Texans are where they're at today.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

There are a couple of strong personalities over there but I don't let them get under my skin - besides, you're gonna get that on the majority of sites.
    Like I said in another post, I have learned a lot there and they seem to appreciate my input for the most part - after all, we are all just armchair experts with our own ideas and opinions. I try to be open minded.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Love that feeling. haha

raining threes likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don't frequent the other forums much, but I think my favorite part of CF is that I can get Texans, Rockets, and Astros all in one place. Other forums that focus on just one of the sports may have some more knowledgeable posters, but I am good enough with the level CF brings, and it still allows me to have more knowledge than my buddies when we discuss in person which is all I really want amirite? haha.

Colt45, Htown Legend, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  6. raining threes

I'm on board, what is this more modern approach to football that you're talking about? I would love to discuss football on whatever terms you would like and do it right here. Can you give me a link to the Texans reddit site?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Here you go : https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/

As far as modern football I’m no authority. I still remember @cmoak1982 having to break down the nuances of the RPO for me when Deshaun arrived.

I guess we could talk about Peps offense and if it’s schematically up to snub in todays game with all the intricate defenses. Flip side Lovies dead and buried Tampa 2 still being played at times. I want some youth, some energy. Forward thinking - put these guys in positions to be the best they can be. Our coaches do a huge disservice to our young players.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m no expert on anything lol, I genuinely thought Lovies defense was antiquated and I still talked myself into believing it would work lol

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. raining threes

There's a direct correlation to winning in the trenches and winning football.

You can jazz up schemes all you want, but football really comes down to blocking and tackling at its simplest form. The teams that do this the best are the teams that win the most.

Big Tex likes this.
  10. raining threes

There's a direct correlation to winning in the trenches and winning football.

You can jazz up schemes all you want, but football really comes down to blocking and tackling at its simplest form. The teams that do this the best are the teams that win the most.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Joe Burrow made the Super Bowl with the worst line in the league last year

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I also used to believe that you build teams from the lines and then move outward. That's probably still the most stable way to do things. But there's gonna be teams that break the "jump shooting teams don't win championships" rule, that can lean on and maximize a strength. Bengals did show that last year by ignoring OL and drafting Jamar Chase in the first round last year, or a bit further back when they chose Burrow having just finished the season with one of the worst rated OLs.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Never said it was a slum here.
    I did however say I visit multiple boards to get a mixture of opinions.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats true in its most basic form. The game does tend to require strategy and an ability from your managers/coaches to adapt on the fly to almost any scenario. There should be contingencies in place for anything you can conceive happening on the field. These players just look poorly coached far too often.

Offensively take a look at what some of the good OCs in the NFL do with stack formations. It almost makes too much sense to run a pick play to get your guy open - so many different combinations with that formation and we tend to run bubble screen there and basic route tree stuff. No creativity. We have a stud RB who should be more than a battering ram. Get him in space - use him like KC used McKinnon. There are things you can do if you already know you have a bad OL. Sure it doesnt help that your QB has issues getting it to the hash marks, but even then a good OC will modify instead of continuing with his own vision in a perfect world. Its a copycat league. Shouldnt be too hard to find things that work from a week to week basis offensively. I just PRAY that if these guys go QB this draft that they have the presence of mind to bring in a true locker room culture builder with a vision instead of a placeholder who's just happy cashing checks.

As far as tackling I TOTALLY agree -- this team is just horrendous in that aspect. Should be easier to fix then say blowing assignments on every single play. For the most part the D seems disciplined and hopefully with an infusion of talent on that side they could start to be more of a factor in games.

At least our kicking game is pretty good. Silver linings right?

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Slum the verb not the noun. By the way you jumped to defend that place I'd wager you might be more of member there than you put off, but its cool. I've already said I dont care where people get their fix as long as they can demonstrate an ability to hold an adult conversation and hopefully help me become a better observer and student of the game.

16. raining threes

Outliers exist

17. raining threes

Agreed on everything but the QB. I want to wait until 2024 for that.