1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Any possible trade candidates for centerfield we're going to be in contention with the Dodgers they too have a hole in centerfield probably even worse than ours.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There are CF candidates available out there.

Unfortunately it's an issue of Astros not really having excess attractive assets

Teams are looking for quality over quantity and the Astros would need to either weaken the MLB club ( pitching) or simply overwhelm a team with quantity.

At this point, I think the Astros simply roll with what they have.

McCormick is at least league average.
    Meyers has shown promise
    Leon is a low floor- high ceiling talent.

There are several more 1+ years away.

The overall quality and depth of the MKB roster can absorb any deficiencies in CF until at least the trade deadline.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

the Astros must be complete morons.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We do not know whether he would get figured out or not. That's the point. We need to figure it out before disposing of him.

5. Major

Major Member

Except Dusty was the one saying that Jake wasn't fully healed from his injury and wanted the front office to send him back to AAA. Click or others in the front office were the ones pushing Meyers. Remember the Crane quote of "are you willing to stake your job on Jake Meyers"? Click needed Meyers to pan out.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The more I look into Alek Thomas the more I see star. We need to make that move for the future of our CF. I don't trust Meyers after that injury and if we could sell high on him that would be awesome.Thomas looks like he can hit a ton and steal some bases and have a A++++ in the OF

ApolloRLB likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

You are the one ascribing motives to the manager. What I see on the field is a manager that has consistently gotten the most out of his players and teams for basically his entire career.

Chas consistently played more than Dubon all season long. He got more ABs and played more games in every single month except June, when Dubon was playing way better than Chas (0.741 vs 0.539 OPS). So basically, in the months that Chas was better, he played more than Dubon. If the month that Dubon was better, he played more than Chas. Sounds horrible.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you want the team to make several needle moves salary be dammed just because it can be interpreted that they told they would?

Nobody said the JV contract would have drowned the franchise but lets face it LV could fall off a cliff any time now, and we can replace him with youth just like we did with Correa and have flexibility to strengthen the team down the line this does not have to happen this off season.

Why would anybody want to hold them to specific moves and not just to continue to win big?

I just don't understand why people want to win the off season every year, especially after another WS win, people are just greedy.

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I was just trying to point out the Dodgers are in on trades for a CF too and that means it would be our prospect verse theirs.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Meyers was pretty good after they made him a starter in 2021.

He had an OPS of nearly .800 as a starter, and overall had an OPS of .765.

I don't know if he has more power than Chas, but he has enough power.

As for his strikeouts, he had 50 strikeouts in about a third of a season, which isn't ideal, but McCormick struck out even more often.

From a W/S perspective they had a similar pace.

Meyers looked like the better fielder to me honestly, and probably had more upside as a pure CF play.... even as a rookie, he was on pace for a 4-5 WAR season over 150 games.

I don't care about Meyers stats last year, he was hurt all season.

I think McCormick deserves to open camp as the starter, but if Meyers is better, than he should start.... McCormick is under-rated some, and I think has a chance to cut down his strikeouts and have a 120 OPS+ type peak.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What gaping holes are in the lineup?

The Beard likes this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

As far as Meyers and his defense are concerned, I was never a fan of his arm. In the 2021 regular season (before the injury), I remember a few times where he made terrible throws. Chas may not have an elite arm but overall, I like his arm better than Jake's. Meyers is, however, an excellent route runner and he shows great instincts. But the arm is not that great (from what I've seen).

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Dusty never deferred to Click on the lineup or who started.

raining threes likes this.
  14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chas and Jake are both weirdos -- throw left but bat right. If one would just bat like they throw, they'd make a nice little platoon. Centerfield is a bit of a wildcard, but has a decent shot to be a positive contribution spot -- between a re-emergence of '21 Meyers, playoff Chas, or even just a Pedro Leon rocket launch. Worst case, the Astros could even look to acquire the best trade deadline corner OF rental and move Tucker to center in a pinch.

That Chicago playoff series in 2021 was brutal for us -- trashed Jake's shoulder and Lance's arm.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

When did I say “dispose”?

he should be behind Chas. Thats all. As of right now, that shouldn’t even be a question. We will see what happens.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I guess my point is that he is still a huge unknown. His numbers in his first season when he was healthy still arent better than Chas numbers.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bust ya **** open beats.

Nook likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

But he does defer to who he has on his roster and the goals of the team.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well what manager doesn’t? My point was that he never ran Meyers out there because Click told him to. He ran him out there game after game and let McCormick sit until it was just looking like foolishness. He even ran Dubon out there as well to further mess with McCormick’s playing time. It looked like favoritism to me but I’m sure I’m wrong. Just really looked like he was trying to find a solution other than Chas.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What about Dusty would ever make you think he would hold something personal over a player and that would affect playing time?

What about the Astros makes you think they would let Dusty let something personal affect playing time?

This Dusty had something personal against Chas might be the stupidest thing that has legs in the History of this site, and that's saying a lot it just makes no sense anyway you look at it bur for some reason people keep saying it.

Nobody who played over Chas was a lot of worse than him, and Dusty does not have the power to play guys consistently that are worse than other guys.