1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ya boy donny had a blast yall

The uva fans are great

Got to meet Ralph Sampson at his restaurant before the game lol

2. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It obviously matters how you finish the season, but being ranked in the top 5 I would think helps in recruiting (even though we have signed 4 recruits for next year which is our desired limit).

3. Houston Native

Supporting Member

That’s awesome. Guess you didn’t have a problem getting a ticket.

4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

Kim, vince and Jturbofuel like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

not necessarily. KS hasnt changed a thing with how they recruit regardless of their ranking. folks on the outside want to think it matters to them but it doesn't. There's only a certain type of kids that fit this culture. you can't say the same thing about most of the other programs who don't highlight development over time.

this applies for programs that focuses on one and done. KS doesn't.

#5725 YOLO, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Great test on the road. Glad they showed good.

#5727 Madmanmetz, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its good to have one signature OOC win for our March resume.

vince likes this.
  9. GradyMcTracy

GradyMcTracy Member

10. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Rankings do matter. Great for publicity and recruitment. In regards to Sampson, often what a person says and thinks or feels are two different things. I am sure like the rest of us he enjoys keeping up with rankings and seeing the team he built achieve renewed status not seen in 40 years since the days of Phi Slamma Jamma.

Besides don't be a grinch. Please allow those of us that like to keep up with rankings throughout the year enjoy the success and the ride that this current team is on. Don't know how many years it will last but once it is over we may never see anything like it again. What he has done for our basketball program is truly legendary.

11. Houston Native

Supporting Member

Sampson likes his type of player, and says he doesn't care how various sites rank players. But I don't think Jarace Walker or even Arceneaux would have considered coming to UH 6 or 7 yrs ago. Sampson deserves all the credit building our program up and is a great coach, who has a great balance of being hard on players and loving his players; his players truly respect him. But now that the program is in elite status, he still has preference for his type of player, but he has a much bigger pool of talented players to choose from and who want to come to UH.

No Worries and PhiSlammaJamma like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Quick photo dump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UHAA had an open bar meet up at Ralph Sampson's taproom. Really good showing. Probably 60-70 Coogs.

UVA's gym is really, really nice. Brick and wood throughout. Lots of history.

UVA fans were very nice and some of the most basketball savvy I've ever seen.

Extremely glad I went as March Madness locales are no where near DC this year so likelihood I get to make the tournament are very low.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

He doesn’t. Rankings are a big who tf cares for him. Because I know personally. It’s not about being a grinch. I’m passing on what is actually going on with this program. And I’ve passed on info for a long time. Folks on the outside just try to assume way too much. Disregard if you choose. Doesn’t really matter to me. There’s a reason why he locks in on guys well before a lot of folks even get any significant traction on. That isn’t changing.

#5733 YOLO, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ralph Sampson's American Taproom

I have been 4/5 times and Ralph has been there all but one time. Ralph is very generous with his time and takes tons of photos with kids. Ralph is a class act.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You live in/near cville?

Iirc it only opened like 8 months ago so that's pretty frequent to visit

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

@DonnyMost how loud was the crowd? They had a sellout but watching on TV they seemed mostly subdued. Probably because other than the initial 9-0 run UVA opened the game with our defense mostly kept them in check and did not allow any more big runs.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It was a legit 14k sellout... They were extremely loud when it called for it... Problem was those moments were few and far between.

One thing I appreciated was that once the shot clock hit 10 seconds the crowd immediately got very animated on defense... They did that EVERY possession... They recognized good defense.

18. No Worries

Cville resident for 18 months or so.

Buck Turgidson and DonnyMost like this.
  19. No Worries

Yeah, UVA basketball fans are pretty smart as a whole. Tony Bennett is a great college basketball coach, especially on the defensive end. The team usually excels on the defense and the fans applaud the effort. A contested shot late in the shot clock always draws an applause.

I went to the UVA Florida State game this year. The UVA defensive rotations are a thing of beauty.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

#3 spot is a good ranking for UH.