1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've heard that, but still has room to develop by reducing weak contact caused by his bat to ball skills on the margins. Less SO rate, but more GB outs.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

He's 24. It's time. And he can best develop at this point seeing MLB pitching.

BlindHog and Nook like this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Really only the mets are going crazy.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I just read that Boston is looking for RH hitting players who are athletic enough to play up the middle.

They are very LH heavy and have Trevor Story-Christian Arroyo- Kiki Hernandez currently listed as SS-2B-CF starters.

They just signed a player from Japan to take over LF.

I wonder if they would be interested in trading Alex Verdugo?

He is no longer projected to he an all star but has 2 years of control, good corner OF defense with slightly above average LH bat and does not K much.

He shouldn't be too expensive.

Leon has enough questions and there are enough options to replace him

Verdugo for Leon?

#6284 IdStrosfan, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    everyday eddie and Justin Thomas like this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

That you don't think he has good range tells me all I need to know.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I said he doesn’t have great range. The fact that you are incapable of reading what I said three different times now and comprehending that I’m not saying Bregman isn’t a great player but rather picking out the flaws from his game right now that makes him not a top 20 player overall says all I need to know about your inability to read, process and be an interesting person to have a conversation with.

7. the shark

the shark Member

So in your mind "range" is the same for a SS and 3B???

"If Bregman had great range he'd still be playing SS"????

Obviously by your comment, you don't follow the Stros that close. When Bregman came up they had a guy named Correa playing SS. His bat and defense was so good that they needed him in the lineup so they moved him him to 3B (just like Baggy was behind Cammy at 3B and they moved him to 1B).

Bregman has been not just good at 3B.....he's been INCREDIBLE!!! So in your world they should have moved him to SS when Correa left when they had Pena???

Also with the shift Bregman has been playing quite a bit where the SS would normally be. Have NOT heard anyone complaining about his range. Only you which leaves me to believe you're clueless.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  8. Yordan The Great

That video is absolutely bizarre. Why would somebody post a video celebrating Biggio's birthday showing Bagwell in it? Some people apparently think they were Siamese twins.

astros123 and desihooper like this.
  9. Yordan The Great

I'm with you on this one. Bregman is a plus plus defender at 3B. He's not 6'5", so yeah his reach is not ideal, but his range for his height is quite good.

the shark likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

Who's talking about him being a "top 20 player"??

That you don't think he has "great range" and that it's a "flaw" of his tells me all I need to know about your ability to understand the game of baseball. This has NOTHING to do with "inability to read".

11. Yordan The Great

I don't know why we just don't give a huge middle finger to the rest of MLB and rehire Luhnow.

12. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    LHP Madison Bumgarner (+$7M in cash from AZ)
    OF/C Daulton Varsho

Diamondbacks get:
    RHP Jose Urquidy
    OF/IF Pedro Leon
    IF Joe Perez
    OF/3B Tyler Whitaker

Bumgarner is owed $23M this year ($5M deferred), and $14M next year. Arizona eats the $5M deferral plus an extra $2M, meaning his salary is $16M and $14M for us. Assuming Urquidy gets $3.2M and $5M in arb the next two years, they save (and we add) $12.8M and $9M the next two years. Ideally, this maneuver lowers the prospect cost for Varsho.

Infield: Abreu, Altuve, Pena, Bregman, Hensley, Dubon
    Outfield: Tucker, McCormick, Alvarez, Meyers, Varsho (3rd C)
    Catching: Maldonado, Lee
    Rotation: Valdez, McCullers, Javier, Brown, Bumgarner, Garcia
    Pen: Pressly, Montero, Abreu, Neris, Stanek, (two of Martinez, Maton, Mushinski, Taylor, or other)

BMoney and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. Screaming Fist

There is some risk to doing this. Maldy is old and had maybe his worst season ever last year, what if he gets even worse this year and/or gets hurt? Neither Lee nor Diaz appear to be ready to act as an every day starting player. Diaz's bat might be good enough where you can keep him on the 26 man roster but no way is he going to be a primary catcher anytime soon. Lee probably needs at least another half season of regular work in AAA before he's ready for another shot.

You could of course make a trade at the deadline if necessary but why waste prospects when there is plenty of money available to sign a competent catcher now? Options will be even more limited if you wait until the deadline.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Yordan The Great

Not sure where you were late last year when Pujols went on a HR barrage the likes we rarely ever saw even during his heyday.

.895 OPS, better than any season he had with the Angels (sadly for them).

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why? Urquidy is better than Bumgarner at this point.

Bregatron, BlindHog and No Worries like this.
  16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Arizona would have to be really high on that particular quartet, which I doubt TBH. They're getting 1 solid ML pitcher, 1 high upside/low floor CF, 1 at this point corner bench bat and a medium upside/super low floor OF prospect. Even with the Stros taking money back, the D-backs would be taking a lot of flawed prospects back. Not saying it doesn't happen (e.g. A's in the Sean Murphy deal) but what are the odds the D-backs happen to highly value that particular quartet.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, forgot to qualify that one. I think with both he and Ortiz, there’s good reason to have a bit of suspicion….

18. Screaming Fist

Narvaez has a .294 xwOBA against RHP since 2020, compared to .251 against RHP for Maldy over that same timespan. He would be a way to smartly upgrade the team while spending a minimal amount of money.

19. the shark

the shark Member

Yep!!

Think about the countless dribblers up the 3B line that Breggy has to charge (sometimes even having to bare hand) in order to throw the guy out at first (or gun the guy down at home which we've seen countless times in the playoffs) but he doesn't have "great range"??

I've read some idiotic comments on here before but this is right there at the top.

Take his offense out of the equation. Bregman is one of THE best 3B in all of MLB and one of the reasons why is his great range.

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Money vs Prospects. TBH, that's basically the same thing to a certain degree. It's whether you want to spend your resources now or later. The Stros have consistently held back in FA and then made several trades at the deadline; why is this strategy now a mistake? I don't get it.

If Yainer can get 60-80 starts at C and another 20-30 starts at DH, I think that'd be pretty much perfect. A year apprenticing under Maldy while still getting enough regular AB's to continue to grow on that side of the ball.

Honestly I dunno WTF they're gonna do with Lee. He's just not gonna hit well enough to be a big deal IMHO.