1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns Rockets trade rumors rumbling again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Dec 11, 2022.

1. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

I think 4 years 32-35 mils is fair

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t see the fit with the Suns (eg )

they don’t have a good mix of what we want either ... I don’t think

the team I would be watching is the cavs .

Eric Gordon -hits threes , complains about the refs , and Locks down Donovan Mitchell . I’d be worried another east team will get him .

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

What Cavs will offer us?

saleem likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Mentioned this yesterday .... the answer to your question depends on whether or not the Rockets pick up his 4th year option or not.

If they pick up the option, he's an unrestricted free agent after that 4th year (after next year).

If they decline the option, he's a restricted free agent at the end of this season, meaning the Rockets can match any offer (and exceed the cap in doing so).

As for the actual value of a potential extension, I think it would be a bit more than Tate's deal which was $7m in the first year (but declines from there). I'm thinking something between that $7m to $9m range.

If I were running the show, I'd decline that 4th year option and make him an RFA after this season which would limit the number of teams who might throw money at him and the worst case scenario would be a team offering him full MLE money which is $11,014,500 next year and I think I'd match that number, he's more productive than many guys who are making significantly more and he's still got a lot of untapped potential.

5. Asian Sensation

We reposting random keyboard warrior thoughts? Well here’s a few more from earlier in his day. FWIW

[​IMG]

dream2clips likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A good question. I don't think they will offer us anything.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  7. VoR

VoR Member

Sorry, to kick a dead horse here, but the Suns are totally decimated by injuries. Wouldn't be surprised that KMJ is getting more action because teams are thinking about getting him and Gordon in a package.

Amel, joshuaao and xaos like this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The ship has sailed on Gordon. Only way we get rid of his 20 million contract is for us to attach a draft pick (like we did with Jeremy Lin) to unload him.

glimmertwins likes this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hmm, no.

baller4life315, kjayp, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What???

Worst case scenario wait until the off season and let him expire (don't pick up the team option)
    There isn't a valid reason to attach a first rounder to "get rid" of an expiring contract.

Hive5, Dobbizzle, Y2JT and 8 others like this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

We should buy him out for pennies on the dollar after the trade deadline or now if the discount is good enough. Bench him till the buyout, saving him for another team’s play off push. Let Tate take his minutes. because Tate’s “injury” has to be better by now.

Y2JT, snowconeman22 and Corrosion like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

fattz Gordon's contract amount next year is around $20 million non guaranteed

Literally every team wants to shave $20 million
    off next year's payroll....including the Rockets if the asking price isn't met.

I'm guessing Tilman won't buy him out after the deadline when he can just not play him and cut
    him in the off-season for nothing while shaving
    about $20M (depending on partial payment)

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

always count on the rockets to do what requires no valid reason...
    theyre not the worst team in nba for no valid reason for a 3rd year in a row...

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hive5, YOLO, xaos and 2 others like this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Agreed, but a small portion of next season is guaranteed if my memory serves me. That is why I started discount. If he is willing to sacrifice his income I am almost positive the organization would set him free.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tilman will probably pay more in buy out than partial later, imo.

But carry on

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

SO many pages spent talking about a Gordon trade - what is this like the 700th page spent talking about that for the last 3 years? Can I just say “told you so” now that we likely are just going to buy him out in a month or do y’all prefer I wait until then?

…actually - probably just do it now AND then.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Which team in the NBA has a higher % of points scored by players 22 and under? Is any other team even close?

Y2JT likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Rockets have 82% of their minutes going to players 22 or younger .... No other team is higher than 45%.

BaselineFade, xaos and theDude like this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That would seem a fairly valid reason to lose (IMHO)

For what it is worth, the Rockets have 84.7% of their points being scored by guys 22 and under. I believe the next closest on this front is also in the 40%s

Corrosion and xaos like this.