1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Its a little too simplified to attribute the entire 6-6 stretch to Bari... but its also not really.

The impact of a exceptional 3&D player on winning in the modern NBA is unmatched outside a true star/engine.

Shots not falling, still impacts the game. Struggling defensively - rarer cause its more pure positioning and effort with his measurements - still can impact the game.

saleem, Hakeemtheking, pmac and 3 others like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think this clip tells half the story - the other half of the story is about how Jabari doesn't back down from the vets and is getting in people's faces. He has picked up some techs but frankly, the team has responded positively every time he mixes it up. I noticed Green tried to finish it too so i think both players are feeding off that emotional fight. Dare I say it - let's encourage it because when that happens(like in the Atlanta game with Tre and Murray) our team gets REALLY scrappy and look like a legit team all of a sudden.

One other observation from last night's game is while Jabari didn't score a lot, he was being aggressive with the ball and making moves. He definitely needs to improve on his touch, but he has skills to make a strong move with the ball and get better shots - he just has to finish when he gets there.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This kid is madness. A pair of sneakers and huge balls out there locking the Freak down like it’s Sunday brunch at grandmas house.

4. i3artow i3aller

5. PeppermintCandy

I hear a lot about how the players work hard, but Jabari Smith really seems like he has the will and the drive to become great.

This is probably the first Rockets player in the past 20 years I felt this from. This guy is intense.

That said, the coaching staff will probably have to keep reminding him that he's 19 and running a marathon.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I see the same. He's got that Jordan and Olajuwon quality about him. Truly locks in and wants to be the best.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Giannis once famously said he "wants somebody that plays defense". well here you go and this kid locked you down. Giannis gonna draft Jabari next year for the ASG

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Last 20 years? So we’re going to ignore the guy we drafted at 2 just last year?

Let’s not forget the huge jump Jalen made after the all star break last season. His work ethic is insane as well. Even when he was out doing photo shoots overseas, he was finding a gym to workout in.

9. PeppermintCandy

No disrespect meant to any other players. I'm sure the majority of them have incredible work ethics, or else they wouldn't be where they are.

But with Smith, it's like he's determined to do his best, and he takes things personally when things fall short. I mean, it's only a few months into his rookie season, and he often plays like he's out for blood.

It's only my observation, but I'm really feeling a different level of commitment from Smith.

#4029 PeppermintCandy, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    pippendagimp likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Been saying this....Jabari literally is what people believe Mobley to be. Or wish Mobley was. Jabari is one of the most unusual prospects to come out within the last 20 years but people seem to just overlook it. His closest comp is probably Durant with better defense and slightly worse offense.

I was not high on him during the draft process but was wrong. Hopefully Chet holds up because I can see him doing similar things. Feeling is Paolo ends up as PF Trae Young.

conquistador#11 and Mathloom like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Paolo is a sharp shooter. Hits 25.3% of his 3's that's more than 1 out of every 4 goes in the basket. Pretty great!

jayfree likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

jesus, I didn't know he's actually shooting a quarter from the 3

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Mobley is a way more physically gifted, and is also way better around the rim. They are not comparable players. Mobley is a rim protector with some switchability, and a rim runner on offense. Jabari is a versatile switching defender with some rim protection that shoots 3's.

Mobley will never be able to shoot like Smith, Smith will never be able to get those tip-ins/be a lob threat like Mobley

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Paolo's big weakness was his unreliable shot and it's carried over to the NBA

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jabari and Mobley are very different prospects, IMO. Mobley was compared to AD or Bosh. He primarily operates inside with great passing instincts. I'd say his defense both on the perimeter and inside are better than Jabari's. Jabari has a sweet stroke but no interior game to speak of, nor has he shown much passing or ballhandling ability yet.

Your comp for Jabari is Durant with better defense and slightly worse offense? That seems completely off base. Jayson Tatum has slightly worse offense than prime Durant right now. Jabari isn't in the same ballpark, he doesn't even have tickets to that ballpark.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. We still don't know which of the top 3 picks (or somebody else) this year will turn out to be the best player of this class. Throughout the predraft discussions, all of them had a big weakness identified.

Paolo: shooting and defense
    Chet: injury risk and strength
    Jabari: handles and finishing around the rim

Guess what, all of these issues have showed up so far.

jiggyfly and xaos like this.
  18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Obviously, Durant is an MVP and Jabari is a rookie still learning the game. But Jabari has some interesting skills shared by few players other than Durant. First, Jabari, like Durant, is a 6' 10" off-the-dribble 3pt threat. Almost every other player taller than 6'7" shoots only spot-up threes. Second, Jabari has a Durant-like combination of strength, balance, and quickness with height. At 6'10"+, the only players with that combination are Durant, Giannis, and maybe Mobley.

19. MystikArkitect

Mobley is way more physically gifted how? He's probably a worse perimeter/switch defender. He's a better rim protector. He's a baby giraffe on offense. He was touted as an infinitely switchable defensive monster that was a unicorn that could shoot from anywhere. He's not that. He's a rim runner because that's all he can do.

Mobley is really good and worthy of a Top 3 pick. In a redraft do you take Mobley over Jabari? I wouldn't. It's a lot easier to find offensively limited rim runners than it is to find 6-11 snipers with DPOY potential. Not even taking into account their demeanor which Jabari has in spades over Mobley.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member