1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't give up Hunter Brown.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He is a good fit defensively.

He is a poor fit offensively. He is a mediocre hitter.

Marteen likes this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

Holy smokes...

Someone is reporting Braves gave up Contreras, Ian Anderson, Grissom, and a couple prospects for just Murphy and Adames...

I guess Dansby is gone...

No way Houston would have paid that...

4. Nook

Nook Member

I think it depends on what you get back for him.

I have less of a problem dealing him if I am getting a player back under long term control.

I would have personally dealt Brown for Murphy straight up, but I am not as sold on Brown as some people are.

I think Brown will be solid but not special.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd consider Brown unavailable unless it was for someone even better. Granted, I really like Brown's curve giving Brown K and GB potential. Ton of upside with a very good chance of at least being a MoR SP. As long as he can keep his walks under 4BB/9IP, he should be okay.

6. Nook

Nook Member

This is a good trade for the Braves, if they did add Adames.

They got one of the three best catchers in baseball and they added a 5 WAR shortstop under team control for a few years.

Ian Anderson isn't special.... and neither is Grissom..... Contreras is a DH really.....

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A solid SP with 6 years of control is likely worth more than Murphy straight up.

No Worries and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

I can see Abreu, honestly, since as recently as 2021 Strom said he saw him as "TOR starter material" (I mean top of the rotation, not Toronto Blue Jays LOL). We already have an expensive bullpen, and maybe our guys see Abreu as a regression candidate and want to sell high (but for the record, NOTHING about his breakout screams fluke to me AT ALL and I would be reluctant). I know Arizona asked about him this past deadline, per @Nook

Thought- maybe include a Urquidy/MadBum swap if AZ wants to unload that contract. Schwab also thinks Leon is likely to be included in any deal should one get done. If so, sounds like they're higher on his abilities as an infielder considering how deep they are in the outfield.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Not to me.

It all depends on your finances and team construction.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah. My first thought was Abreu too. He is someone that Strom really likes and I have to think his performance in the post season only helped.

11. CinematicFusion

Don’t make the trade then. If we gut the pitchers, we have zero back up plan. Need 6 man rotation with McCullers and his injury history, Eurquidy and Garcia tiring out at end of year and Brown the unknown. Should have signed Verlander if you are trading pitchers.

#5711 CinematicFusion, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He looks to me to be pure platoon hitter. His hitting stats vs RHP are solid especially for the bottom third of the lineup.

He is terrible vs LHP.

Career vs LHP .276/.339/.615., 25.1%K, 4.7%BB
    RHP .315/.465/.781. 23.6%K, 10.0%BB

And his 2022 splits were even better vs RHP and worse vs LHP

He would be a perfect platoon partner with Chas

robbie380 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  13. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely wouldn't trade Javier.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I'm fine with parting with Garcia or Urquidy (the former has bad mechanics and the latter is mediocre) and signing someone else (like Kluber). Or even seeing if Abreu can start since our pen is so deep.
    Schwab also thinks Leon is likely to be included in a Varsho deal if it happens. Either AZ wants a righty bat instead or they're high on his ability to play infield because they have a logjam in the OF.

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

If we are asking about Varsho, it would be to come in and be the primary catcher, correct? Doesn't Varsho's value stem from being an above-average hitting catcher (much like Contreras).

I only pay the hefty prospect price for Varsho if he can be our primary catcher for the next several years. Not sure if his defense/game-calling is passable.

But if we can trade for him to be our primary catcher, and we sign Conforto to a 2 year deal (and he comes back relatively healthy and hits close to his career norms), we go into next year with zero holes, and plenty of cap space (before the penalties) to add at the trade deadline to offset any injuries.

Mr Woods likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

There is no ******* way that the Astros are going to deal Christian Javier or Hunter Brown AND prospects for a 26 year old centerfielder that has a 109 OPS+

17. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, but do you trade a lot for a platoon split player?

Stoic Rob likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Haha. Whatever. A lot of people here seem to overrate Jake’s value. He was ok in his less than 200 at bats when he was called up in 2021. He was not anything special with the bat or the glove that year. Yes, he got a decent jump on the ball but thats about it. McCormick can run down stuff better anyway. Jake has no arm. If you think he does then you are the one with failing eyes. Some people just really want to believe he is better than he is, a 26 year old AAAA player. He probably doesn’t catch that ball that chas ran down in the WS. It’s always an adventure when meyers has to sprint to the wall. One time he tore his labrum. Another time he smashed clumsily into the wall and probably re injured the shoulder. Another time he almost injured Diaz. He wasn’t getting to balls as quickly either. His arm is candy. I’m hoping for a lot more from him than what we have seen. McCormick at this point is the proven better CF.

houstonstime likes this.
  19. HTown2017Champs

I think he would catch around 60-70 games at LEAST. For all the talk about "he's too small," Will Smith (Dodgers) is the same size and has no problems.
    Watch this video if you want to learn more about his journey as a player and his background growing up as an MLB son.

Nippystix likes this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Cristian Javier in a trade? OH HELL NO. The dude no-hit the hottest hitting team in baseball in Game 4 of the World Series in their ballpark. He turned the series around. He must not get traded!

Stoic Rob, 13 in 33, mikol13 and 3 others like this.