1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Radio guys at different points made some good points at different times today.

1) The Texans really do have an opportunity to rebuild with how much money and draft capital they have from the Watson trade and they can't blow it because it's not going to happen again. Do you really trust Caserio to be the guy in charge of that? While I wouldn't say he has made any HUGE blunders, Sauce Gardner and Zion Johnson are doing better for their teams than Stingley and Kenyon Green have been for us. He gave Cooks a big extension that makes it now hard to trade him. And he thought Justin Britt was going to be the answer at center.

I don't care about giving Caserio a longer leash and/or the opportunity to use the picks he acquired for Watson. This is a golden opportunity to right the ship. Caserio may indeed be the guy, but you have to consider whether somebody else would be better at this crucial point in Texans history.

2) If we do end up firing Lovie, there is a Caserio problem with HC candidates. Namely that Caserio interjects himself into places he doesn't really belong, like being on the field in practice and having a headset on up in the box during games. Is Caserio going to call the shots on what assistant get hired again? That stuff is going to turn off legit HC candidates.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I’m at the point where I want to clean house and start fresh.

mikol13, ROCKSS and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. a time to chill

4. raining threes

From the Texans history.

He wanted Gannon

Cal wanted Lovie

Janice and Easterby wanted McCown.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. raining threes

1. Sauce may be better than Stingley, maybe not. If Sauce is the better player that doesn't mean Stingley is a bad player.

Green was playing just as well as Zion if not better before he got hurt.

The Cooks extension was a mistake. Who knew a solid guy like Cooks would flip out. He was supposed to show the young guys like Collins the ropes both on and off the field. Britt was a stopgap that didn't work out. Not much lost there.

Who do you have in mind that would be better and if you fire Caserio you have to pay him the 30 million left on his contract. How did you think this rebuild was going to look after 1 1/2 drafts?

A lot of GM's are on the field during practice. Heck there are pics out there of Cal and RS on the field at practice.

The headset thingy is overblown. He hasn't been on the headset this year. Although this team has more talent than last years team and is doing worse, so there's a case to be made that the Texans would be better if he was on the headset.

It seems that you don't like the Caserio hire and are reaching to try to justify getting rid of him. Truth is he hasn't been here long enough to implement his plan. It took him 2 years to clean up the cap and lack of draft capital that BOB left behind.

#765 raining threes, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    Shark44, desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the Caserio hire, mainly because I'm tired of the NE influence on our team. However, I was intrigued by how he handled the DW trade. I thought he took an innovative approach and made the best of a truly sh*tty situation. I don't think he gets enough credit for that move.

As for the draft, it's truly been a crapshoot for the NFL in general. I might have selected some different players than we have, but I haven't been overly disappointed with any one we've selected since he's come on and you truly can't grade a draft (I believe) until at least 3 years of observations.

Agree on pretty much everything else you've said above. The Cooks extension was likely done to provide Mills a stable vet presence to throw to, he's not been the same guy since he signed the deal and Easterbunny departed.

For the discussion on coaching hires, if you listen and look at Caserio I don't see much of his input on either hire. I think if he gets more input you'll see one of these young and innovative offensive or defensive minds as the next coach. I could be wrong, but Culley or Lovie just don't give off a Caserio vibe, truly believe he wants to be more progressive and innovative versus living with a Tampa 2 team.

With said, I'd let Nick hire his guy next year and give him at least the 2023 and 2024 season to see what he can build. We need a coach with great leadership skills, innovative ideas/concepts and a vision.

OB demolished our house and DW poured gas on it and lit the match. We're back down to the foundation and we need some time to rebuild so that once again we can throw some parties and have some fun, and dare I say finally get to a f**king Superbowl before I'm fertilizing the earth.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of that still doesn't excuse these head coach hires. And if he didn't have the power to hire his own head coach before... what changed to give him the power now?

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great question! I'm hopeful that ownership sees it time to go in a different direction and actually allows Caserio to find the right guy.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And what about the idiot who is the owner will make you confident that actually happens?

After all the **** they went through simply by tampering with Casserio earlier... you'd think they'd trust him to make these sorts of decisions if he was truly "all that".

In the end, Casserio is probably not some genius GM that teams would fall all over to hand the keys over to him... and we know the ownership isn't qualified to actually make any decisions, let alone the "right" decision.

10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I see this as having more to do with the Brian Flores lawsuit and debacle. There is no way the Texans would have been able to pick a Caucasian coach and not being a pariah of the NFL offices. I know I'm speculating, but the whole thing was crazy. sometimes you have to pivot or the media is going to eat you up. We already were in the middle of a media circus with Watson. I just don't see what they could have done.
    In my mind I see Tommy Boy going crap we can't get the coach we want. Nick can you find us an African American we can get quick, and Lovie happened to be walking down the hall to get a cup of coffee and the light bulbs went bright over their heads.
    with that being said, clean house now, and get the coach you want (If anyone wants to possibly come here). Use these upcoming haul of draft picks and the money we cleared off the roster and inject some life into this team, and results will come. Sad part is in 5 and 6 years ALL of these picks that blossom will need to get paid.

#770 Kemahkeith, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're right... "things would have been more embarrassing!"

The media is already going to **** all over this situation... to the point where its so embarrassing, they actually don't have much more they have to say.

Also, nobody else in the country cares about the Texans. Any immediate backlash on coach choice would have been forgotten around the next news cycle (as did the initial backlash when they hired Casserio to begin with).

12. raining threes

Nothing and I doubt he gets to hire his HC now.

Unless Cal has learned the error of his ways, which is doubtful.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's hilarious that the Texans have hired and soon to have fired, two black guys to placate the PR situation.

Now when they fire Lovie and hire the white boy they actually want, the tokenism will be so abundantly transparent the media should crush them far harder than they would have.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Since when did Demeco turn white??

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

If caserio is still the GM after the season ends, he’s going to hire someone with Patriots ties.

He’s not going to hire a black HC. He’s going to hire a white guy that he knows and he’s comfortable with because that’s how nfl teams operate.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be a mistake simply to hire simply any defensive coach if they want to build around a young QB, unless they’re bringing in a savvy OC as well to groom him.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why didn’t he do that already?

I don’t think Casserio or anybody currently in that building has a clue on what they want to do. At this point, they’re making Charlie Casserly look like a certified genius.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Oohhh 1 can’t wait for Matt Patricia. First coach to call both offensive and defensive plays!!!!! (Incredibly poorly)

19. raining threes

They can always fall back on the yeah, but we hired RS and I made him the godfather of my child defense. LMAO, you cant make this stuff up.

20. raining threes

This is what happens when Janice/Cal get involved in the hiring process. Nothing good comes of this. They're idiots who only care about the bottom line.

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.