1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You make a living making posts that change what people have said. "Pass first pg" "Not a good player" You change the argument of the people who you argue against to have something to argue against. Every post is saying they dont think KPJ should be a point guard but you always add things to it. its pathetic.

Tato1971, maypk and clutchdabear like this.
  2. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

100 pages of explanations and the thread's still growing!
    So many reasons...

Downtown Sniper and javal_lon like this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

for the most part i would say ya they are better, how many great GMs were former players? Jerry West is one, but on average ya i'd rather have a non player over a player for a GM. It's a totally different job that requires a totally different skill set so i'm not sure why anyone thinks one would translate to the other.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I personally think KPJ has improved , eye test wise, but the numbers probably say otherwise ( Idk, I don't read most of that stuff)..

I think he clearly has a better feel for his role than past year.. I just think his reaction time is a tad too slow when playmaking opportunities, in pivotal moments, present themselves.. The turnovers seem so bad that he gets " killed" for it.. Maybe not fair, but it damn sure needs to be highlighted..

But seriously. Why the hell does certain posters integrate Jalen Green into every negative comment about KPJ? Jalen Green has his own set of **** he needs to work on.. People be on that " but look at him" stuff. Its even worse coming from the more respectable posters..

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think "hard to guard" or "most talented" are synonymous with "great player". Like, a player with a really deep bag who has a bunch of sick dribble moves and great handles might juke you out of your shoes or blow by you regularly, but if he shoots a poor percentage on those shots or can't make those layups thats going to be a problem. The player would still be really hard to guard, he would "beat" his defender with regularity, but if he misses the shot, the result isn't good.

Same with talent, I don't think anyone here can argue that KPJ lacks talent. The Hollins clip sums it up nicely about how he CAN do so many things, and very few players have that package. We've seen that he has a super high ceiling tons of times, the best example being his game with 50 points and 10 assists. His potential is tremendous. But he has issues with consistency, that's a big thing that's holding him back right now. He's got to have more big games, and less bad games.

So I don't I disagree with any of the evaluations you've posted, I've just got a different interpretation of them.

AlperenSengun and duluth111222 like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I inform people of my opinion of things I see on the court. Some agree, some don't. I've played some and been a fan of the game for a very long time.

There are very few TRUE PGs in the league now, the position has changed, so when people say they want a PASS FIRST PG, I really wonder do they really know what they are asking for. And if you notice, most posters who are asking for PASS FIRST PGs are Sengun only fans and to me, his style of play will not work with a pass only PG, because he plays like a PG. He's similar to Jokic and if you notice, Jokic plays with Murray, who is a shot first guard.

I think fans are devaluing KPJ, what he brings to the court and what others think about him around the league.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I see your point of view but I can argue that KPJ has been the Rockets most consistent player since the start of the season.

That's not saying a whole lot but Green has been up and down, so has Jabari, Gordon and Bruno. Sengun started slow but he's come on lately but I would say KPJ has been the most consistent.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think personnel with some form of a basketball background is better than someone who's never played. They have that extra insite.

I'm not saying you have to be Jordan, Magic or Bird but a person who has experience is always better than someone who does not.

That was my one issue with Daryl Morey. He never understood that CHEMISTRY was key when constructing a roster, he always thought just putting a roster together filled with All-Star talent or players who fit his metrics would be enough.

I always thought roster building was his only down fall.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I probably wouldn't disagree. We have such a young team that everyone is all over the place. I can't think of a single player who is consistent on this team. Maybe Tari? Or maybe Nix, he's very consistently bad lol.

duluth111222 likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean you can say roster building was his downfall, yet the dude built one of the 10-15 best teams in nba history. The best GMs in the league are not former players so i just can’t agree

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The problem is KPJ isn't a PG, he needs a PG.

If he was on the finishing end more than the initiating end he'd probably look a lot better and be a lot more efficient.

12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Those are both the same thing basically. He isnt one therefore he needs one.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you're the type of guy that would hire Isiah Thomas to be the next head coach of the Rockets. After all, he's Isiah Thomas!!!!!!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lmao, Dame can't guard anyone and doesn't even try to. Not the right person to ask that question to.

Richie_Rich and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you sure about that I would say its about 50/50.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah he has value even if he does not improve and there is no reason to think he will not.

Brunson
    25 mill per

KPJ
    18 mill per

I have no idea why people keep saying crazy stuff about KPJ.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Your basketball takes suck.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's because they have some of the same negatives, but people claim he is the franchise guy.

It exposes that they are judging KPJ differently.

It's not a great way of having discussions, but sometimes you need to expose the hypocrisy.

The turnover thing a great example I think its just a part of the growing pains but for some reason no one ever mentions Greens to's

DaDakota likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, one thing I was a bit surprised by last night sitting in the row behind the Rox bench was that KPJ is the clear leader of the team, he was up coaching from the bench when out was always directing players when on the floor.....probably not going to make some happy but he is 100% the leader of this group right now.

I am honestly not sure how I feel about knowing that now......

DD

Corrosion likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Coincidentally, we’ve been the worst team in the league for two seasons and tied for 3rd worst this season.

Is it all on KPJ? Of course not, but I just don’t see it long term.