1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I don't care what the league wants. I have no doubt the last team they would want to get him is the Rockets. They never gave us respect before Silas.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The face of the NBA has as much to do with marketability as it does with talent. Jokic is 2x MVP but the general public probably doesn't even know what his voice sounds like. Jordon, Kobe, and Lebron were incredibly marketable and media savvy. Someone stoic like Duncan would never get the same exposure. I haven't seen much of Wembanyama, but his hype is huge right now and he has some personality.

xaos likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Can't disagree with that at all.

I do think he can be all 3: Face of the NBA, best player in the NBA, and most impactful player in the NBA

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It would be devastating. They tanked to get Tim Duncan and preceded to win multiple championships because they are well run team that knows how to build around a star. If they get Wemby the Rockets are done. They are not beating a historically great organization that knows how to build a winning team with a hall of fame coach and a generational talent.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I would think the league would hate for him to be there since it's one of the smallest NBA markets.

Deckard likes this.
  6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What often drives their popularity is marketing dollars spent by Nike. Usually the shoe deals are given to the wings and guards. Giannis is kind of an exception, I think of the guys you listed Giannis is supposed to be the face of the league. He has the charisma, he has talent, proven winner, and Nike contract. I think Nike is kind of waiting to see who in this next group will be taking over, so far it looks like Kyrie is out and Ja's getting a signature shoe. They really can wait until Lebron retires which will be a few more years. Big's historically would not get the shoe deals, but now I feel like if you are a big as long as you are handling the ball a lot Nike will be OK with choosing you.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wembanyama plays more like a huge multi-faceted and hugely talented wing than someone who resembles how we would ordinarily view a "big" playing at the 4 or the 5 spot down low. He'll be loved by Nike and their marketing competition, if he can stay healthy. They have to be licking their chops in anticipation, in my opinion. I certainly am at the thought of having him in Houston.

cml750, xaos, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Do you think he is good enough to get guaranteed big money (8 figure deal) pre draft like Lebron and Zion did? I think Zion was guaranteed $75M before even making it to the NBA. Nike seems to be willing to spend if the guy is guaranteed to be good, Im sure they will make money off Zion, but he's also started off his career injured and slower than they probably anticipated him to. I think Nike has a lot of leverage with Kayne no longer being with Adidas. They can push off a deal until Victor has proven himself.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He might. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, I'll put it that way.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

If the Spurs get Wemby, we will know it was fixed. :D :)

PeterKingX likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Market doesn’t matter when you have national tv exposure . Everybody knew who Manu, Tim and Tony was

12. xaos

xaos Member

Panic post

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good job. Good effort!

Amiga likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Why? While us Rockets fans hate the Spurs and Mavs because of the in state rivalry and their recent stretches of good teams, the league and the average NBA/sports fans don't care about those teams.

There is definite bias for teams on the I-95 corridor on the East Coast and the main I-5 cities on the West Coast, but otherwise the NBA doesn't care about teams/franchise unless they have a star or recent consistent stretch of titles.

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You guys may as well let this thread die ..... they will not be anywhere close to bad enough to have any realistic shot at #1.

They'll pick 8th or worse.

red5rocket, Mathloom and Zen Tabak like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot of season left, we will see.

clos4life and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

With Silas at the helm the #1 pick is always in range.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Do you realize that 6 of their 8 wins have come against playoff teams?

There's something to that thread by @Sweet Lou 4 2 about the harsh schedule ....

cml750, Mathloom and gfab-babyboi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.