1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know, I know, Hey let's get Clutch to check his IP against those people that were banned already and if it matches we can get rid of this clown.

Guy joins Friday, talks about me like he knows me......idiots being idiots.

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No, YOU say he is an inefficient volume scorer. No one has a problem with that. It’s the hyperbolic “KPJ sucks” crap and the absolute refusal to see his attributes is what this thread is about. You seem like an intelligent poster. Not sure why you can’t get this.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

And the fact that he is 22 and still learning the position with other very young players who are also learning how to play, and MORONS talk about him in absolutes like this is all he will ever be as a 22 year old with 150 games under his belt....I mean honestly it is staggeringly mind numbingly dumb.

There are more than likely 3 possible scenarios with KPJ.

1. He develops into a very good combo guard with better efficiency and we run our offense through him and Jalen. - WIN FOR THE ROCKETS!
    2. He plays 1 more year as our Defacto PG and he averages around 20-6-6 but develops trade value as a scoring guard in the league that also rebounds and creates a bit, and he has another year away from his blow ups - making him a valuable trade piece. - WIN FOR THE ROCKETS
    3. We draft someone better or change the coach and he becomes a 6th man scorer of the bench - WIN FOR THE ROCKETS

It is literally WIN WIN WIN with him......so stop b****ing and enjoy the ride.

Dude is 22 passing to 20 year olds......there are going to be turnovers......FFS. It is like people haven't seen a rebuild before.

DD

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's fair, he does have a lot of harsh critics on here. I wouldn't describe myself as "assume he won't get better", but I don't think it's very likely. Most players who become efficient scorers get there two ways, they either enter the league immediately as efficient scorers, or they improve rapidly over their first 3 years. Guys who are stagnant in this area over their first couple years in the league usually don't ever improve. That's usually, not always, there are always outliers. So at this point, that's what we're rooting for, is for KPJ to be an outlier. Because the time has already come and gone for him to follow any improvement path within the normal. And I don't think it's possible to be a good combo guard without being an efficient scorer, if you can't score efficiently then the rest doesn't really matter.

There are a wide range of outcomes for KPJ still. But the likelihood of him turning into a "starter on a championship contender" caliber player is very low, statistically/historically speaking. So I'll be rooting for improvement, but I wouldn't put money on it.

AlperenSengun and jordnnnn like this.
  5. DaDakota

Most players get a lot more efficient as time goes into their NBA careers......if KPJ were more efficient people wouldnt be saying squat.

Chauncey Billups is a great example someone brought up as a guy who eventually found his way....

DD

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

So u still won’t address your strawmans and gaslighting? U literally posted what I italicized directly at my posts as a response to what I was saying…

Who said either a starter is a superstar, or they suck? Please provide the post that was attempting to make that point

there are numerous KPJ critics that provide sound reasoning, stats, facts, and evidence to support their criticism, but like clockwork, the KPJ fans will either dismiss it as hating or try to play dumb

this thread is wondering why people don’t like KPJ or think he’s that good despite whatever his statline happens to be, and even asks for help understanding why he can’t be a PG…as if KPJ critics haven’t been answering the premise of this thread for ages already

and surprise surprise, it didn’t even take a KPJ fan 1 page to bring up Harden to try and defend KPJ’s turnover problem

disingenuous thread is disingenuous

duluth111222 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. maypk

maypk Member

So we're not allowed to post things your fat ass don't like or what's the procedure in this forum? Go ahead and get it checked. I'm not the one editing messages with 12 yo like bullshits on quote.

8. DaDakota

LOL never mind child.

DD

9. maypk

maypk Member

Get help.

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

You’re the one gaslighting now. This thread is title asks why KPJ is this board’s “whipping boy.” The first posts asks why KPJ receives “an immense about of hate.” The only “disingenuous” thing is you downplaying just how harsh KPJ critics can be both towards him AND anyone who supports him.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most players get a lot more efficient as time goes into their NBA careers? Based on what? Where are you getting this?

maypk likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That’s not exactly accurate though.

Yes most players improve their efficiency during their careers, but to what level? The more accurate statement is that most players who exhibit early improvement in efficiency over their first few years eventually improve their efficiency to a level adequate of being a high volume scorer.

I don’t expect that KPJ will always be a ~53 TS% player, but because KPJ is NOT one of the guys who falls under the category of “exhibiting early improvement in efficiency in his first few years” it is less likely that his efficiency will eventually become consistently well above league average. The more likely outcome is that his efficiency will improve, but not to a level you want from a high volume scorer.

Yes there are outliers(Billups). But they are labeled outliers for a reason, they aren’t as likely to occur. This is a concept I know you understand as you constantly bring up the lottery odds and that it isn’t something we should bank on. This situation is really no different.

And to add to these examples of outliers, it’s often much later in their careers after changing teams once, twice or even more before they put it all together. So if we’re sticking with these comps than why are we expecting this change to happen for KPJ while still with us?

duluth111222 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I see you’re still trying to sidestep what u posted. Provide the post already

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Ugh. I've been trying to avoid this because you so seriously missed my point, but you've forced my hand.

I never said a specific person said, "KPJ is either a star or he sucks." I said this board, "encapsulated," often has that mentality towards young players. In other words, if many on this board don't believe a player has superstar potential, they defer far the other way. This contingency doesn't know how to act towards above-average players with flaws.

Christian Wood is a perfect example. Per much of this board, he was the root of all our ills last season. Now, Mavs' fans are clamoring for him to get more minutes.

Wood wasn't our biggest issue last season, and KPJ, even less so, is not our biggest problem this year, yet there are a ton of posters who seem to think so.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

So u used a strawman to try and characterize the board, and that’s supposed to make u look better? It doesn’t

Mavs fans are clamoring for more minutes for Wood? Word?

16. maypk

maypk Member

So do you think many of people believe KJ, Tari, Sengun, Garuba or Tate has superstar potential?

duluth111222 likes this.
  17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Thank you for linking to a thread that resembles what the KPJ discussion SHOULD look like on this board, rather than, "KPJ sucks," "KPJ is the worst read-and-react player," etc.

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

Regarding Tari and Sengun, sure. Many believe they have star potential. I do with regard to Sengun.

I should have excluded obvious role players like Tate, etc. I'm talking about the KPJ, Christian Wood type, which is not an obviously role player OR a superstar, hence my "above-average with flaws" point.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

so not only are u wrong about the board with your strawman attempt, u are also wrong about Mavs fans and their alleged clamoring for more Christian Wood minutes…

U think similar things aren’t being said about Wood down in Dallas? Man, c’mon…

20. Houston77

Supporting Member

With all due respect, you should really learn the definition of “strawman.”

I scrolled through that entire thread and did not see any post containing an ounce of the vitriol much of this board had for Wood last season. There are also a bunch of posters saying he is underutilized.

Go ahead, point me to an overboard post. I guarantee I can find much worse ones posted on this board.