1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The A’s want Garcia and Hunter in a deal for Murphy and others. The Astros cannot afford to lose that much pitching. I’m sure they will keep talking but I don’t see anyway Hunter Brown and another top young player like Abreu isn’t included.

itzIce, CheezeyBoy22, IBTL and 13 others like this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Way too much

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The goal is another world series, they currently have an aging black hole at catcher and they desperately need an upgrade. The best and easiest to obtain option is Contreras, IMO giving him a little bit more is worth it if it leads to another world series.

Wulaw Horn and Salvy like this.
  4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That's an easy pass then.

Also want to go on record that I do not like the Willson Contreras fit for our roster at all. I am thinking the front office's train of thought is that with the automatic strike zone, the defense of a catcher is not as valuable. But I don't think it's Maldy's defense that is the most valuable thing (although he plays great defense). It's his commitment to the mental side of the game, and his preparation of knowing how his pitcher's strengths (or weaknesses) align with the hitter's strengths (or weaknesses).

Why sacrifice so much defensive and pitching value from a guy like Maldy or to a lesser extent Vazquez, for a slightly better offensive player in Contreras? Just doesn't make sense to me, and that's before considering the years and money that's being reported.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

How is he slightly better? He’s light years better offensively then martin

6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'll admit, slightly better is minimizing the offensive difference between Maldy and Contreras. I agree with you there. I still don't feel the offensive upgrade is worth the value lost on the defensive end and with the pitchers.

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

A 5 year deal with Contreras would mark the end of our dynasty before it really has begun. A deal for a free agent is by definition an overpay. It is an indicator that a mistake was made and you were backed into a corner to correct it. To be backed into two such corners in one off-season is a position of desperation. The Astros have just dominated the league to win a world series. There is no reason to behave as if we are in need of the most expensive and destructive type of rebuild. The difference between moving forward confidently with Maldy and Lee or swinging wildly with Contreras is the long term cost of bad decision making goes far beyond the cost tn dollars today. Another season with our championship catcher while our best catching prospect in years spends a season under his tutelage in preparation for a long career with the team is how this team works. Bringing in a free agent wastes the opportunity for our next catcher to go through a season learning from the smartest catcher in the league. It makes a back up of him for the next several years, probably permanently. There will not be enough time to prepare another prospect to step into the starting role and we will be forced to go back to the free agent market again when Contreras must inevitably be replaced in 2 or 3 years.

8. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

A’s are acting like this dude is Johnny Bench.

9. Yordan The Great

A 30 year old catcher is like a 33-34 year old non-catcher.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then what does that make a 37 year old catcher?

11. Yordan The Great

I just fail to understand why we just don't sign Vazquez and make him our everyday catcher.

So much cheaper. So much safer a decision. The dude is a gamer. You want that guy on your team. And he fit with the team and the clubhouse.

Maldy is like Yuli, he's pretty much done. Let's move on.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Every time I see some trade around here it starts with like our 5th best prospect. Trading for controllable good talent is expensive AF, particularly now that free agent deals are going haywire.

Far better to just spend on mid market free agents or trust your own farm, I don't even think it's debatable right now.

Bregatron likes this.
  13. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

If it’s up to me - Hunter Brown is going nowhere

Shark44, Phillyrocket, IBTL and 12 others like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see a point in signing a below replacement level catcher. Korey Lee can be that.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Taillon signed for 4/$68M with the Cubs. He is an average pitcher - this market is insane.
    Right now I’m hoping for Beni and maybe a trade for a catcher. I bet Abreu could’ve gotten more if he waited a few days - we got lucky with him.
    Bellinger got $17.5M for chrissake!

16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Hunter - aka JV Jr. - should be untouchable. He’s a future ace. They don’t grow on trees

17. Yordan The Great

Someone that's needs to be relegated to a backup role and allow Vazquez to take over.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why settle for terrible?

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

What was so terrible about Game 4 of the WS? The man can handle the pitching staff. There’s nothing else you need out of a catcher. Astros already got the best lineup in baseball and no one’s touching it this offseason. Don’t need an all-star at every position.

PuzzledFan likes this.