1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No worries, honestly it seems weird to think that the early 80's were 40 years ago, in my mind, I still think of the 60's as being 40 years ago most of the time.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no problems with transitioning Maldonado out, but there are far more people acting like Maldy had minimal impact on the pitching staff than overestimating the value.

I don't have an issue signing Contreras, I just don't think he moves the needle that much either way.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Edit just looked it up. He never had .800 OPS with Astros.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is BS.

There are not even half of the people who want to keep Maldy and its even less who thinks he can't be upgraded but the 2 guys brought up are expensive and not that great which seems to be why most are pushing back.

It's hard to have real discussions when you create strawmen.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok what does this have to do with what I said?

I have never advocated for not getting Contreras so what's your point?

My issue is with people like you that keep acting like Maldy does not have significant value to this team.

Also it seems that Maldy would still catch the majority of the time which furthers my point that he is valued by the team.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Contreras was 15 PA shy of qualifying ( more common than not for a catcher) but would have been 29th in all MLB in OPS last season. And it wasn't career year outlier

Ahead of Kyle Tucker who was 33rd.

He moves the needle.

Among players w/400+ PA he was 2nd among catchers and 4th among DHs.

He moves the needle

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Am I correct in that, if we put Contreras at DH, we can’t put him at C later in the game (or if we do, P hits for DH)?

so we would likely not see Machete catching and Contreras DHing in playoffs—maybe that’s where he plays LF and Yordan DHs…

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lots of subterfuge going on right now. Dusty's comments, as far as publicly taking accountability for the trade not happening, were definitely a sign of some politicking going on in the background. Also the leaked interest in Murphy.

It's clear the Astros want Contreras, but I don't know what he's asking for as far as a contract. He doesn't deserve Realmuto money (5 years $115 million). My guess is the Astros are at 4 years $70 million, and he's at 5 years $100 million. Final offer from the Astros will come in at 4 years $80 million.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tony Eusebio, though he split time with Meluskey so not enough ABs to qualify.

JR Towles once had those 8 RBIs... I can remember feeling like he was going to be similar to Jason Kendall.

MadMax, Madmanmetz and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In the playoffs if the team wants to be able to DH Contreras they would need a 3rd catcher in the playoffs.

Like they did game 7 of WS to DH Vazquez.

But that would be a good problem to have.

jiggyfly and Jeremy Williams like this.
  11. Jeremy Williams

Maybe read what others have posted about this issue. Maldy has significant value as a leader and has high potential to develop Lee/Yainer/Contreras. He's 36 years old and has declining skills. I love Maldy, but the Astros are wisely looking toward the future. Dusty's words yesterday regarding the previous rejection of Contreras are key in understanding that this season will be different.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. Houston_Rockets

We need the Cardinals to get Murphy. If they do, our competition for Contreras softens significantly if I had to bet.

Maybe the guardians offer something, but they don't usually invest in FAs like that, they were on Abreu too but took an L on that.

13. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

All the articles out there asking if the Astros are ready to move on from Maldonado...He has one year left on his contract and is about to be 37...So the answer is yes...

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Something tells me you are not satisfied with the way things are being run currently?

I'm just getting a vibe from you.:eek:

Nook likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

I don't dislike Leon but they don't treat him like they did Yordan, Pena, etc.

His .228 in AAA isn't encouraging but the ob% is. As a 25 year old next year he's got limited time to show improvement.

He also struck out a lot.

Looks like he was CF in SL about 60% of the time. He's started in CF less than half a season at 65 starts across all levels. His 2.54 RF/9 is an improvement over McCormick.

I'm open to it but the strikeouts, average, and age lean more as a stop gap then long term player.

Drew Gilbert is probably the long term guy with Melton and Barber eyeing the corner spots.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I am concerned that what is happening right now may become the new norm and that will not work.

Crane handling free agent signings, etc. are fine.

The Astros need a GM and other top positions filled with competent people, professionals and not the legal counsel for the Astros.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

The bat needs to come along but everything else is there. This coming year will be the most important of his career.

18. Landry's Tooth

That's true...

DH wise he's middle of the pack at best....

.251 BA
    .319 OB
    .508 SLG
    .826 OPS
    125 OPS+
    2.8 Offensive WAR

.243 BA
    .349 OB
    .466 SLG
    .815 OPS
    128 OPS+
    3.7 Offensive WAR

The top one is 29 year old Evan Gattis. The bottom is 30 year old Contreras last year.

Hunter Renfroe was given away for peanuts and he had virtually the same OPS and OPS+. His WAR was one less.

Contreras is better but not 80 million over 4 better... give me a Hunter Renfroe equivalent and an upgrade somewhere else with the savings.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting, like I said I am not opposed to signing him, but his numbers just don't really jump out to me.

But being 29th in OPS is a thing.

Nook likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have read what others have posted but it seems you did not read what was in the very post you responded to.

I have no problem with getting Contreras and understand we need to be transitioning away, but a lot of people are acting like he has no value at all now maybe I should not have lumped you in, my bad.