1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Best news of the offseason. It is nice to know that blaming all your faults on the Astros still pays handsomely. His ideal scenario now would be to lose Judge and claim the Astros somehow mind****ed him into leaving by causing the ever-faithful Bronx fans to boo their own player relentlessly.

Invisible Fan and Bregatron like this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Good luck with that contract Phillies. Turner will be turning 30 in year 1 of his 11-year contract.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Turner to the Phillies

wow

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True but they are going for it now. Future be damned! I think he will give them 6-7 great years

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Apparently the Padres had a higher offer than the Phillies. And the offer was big enough that even after taxes, he would have made more with the Padres. But I think Turner preferred to back East and his deal with the Phillies is still lots of $$$$$$.

I wonder who Padres go after next? Try their luck with Correa or Bogaerts?

6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Who in their right mind, with all things being equal, want to live in the Shi**y of Philadelphia over sunny San Diego?

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Bregatron, SWTsig, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I thought they had Tatis? And they even said Kim was playing well enough to push Tatis to CF? So that’s good too? Just feels like other holes maybe? 1b?

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

It’s crazy SD chases every big money FA and they traded the farm for Soto who turned down an extension bigger than Turner’s deal. Think they would prioritize keeping him around

10. Yordan The Great

Padres are doing this all wrong.

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Good point, forgot about Kim and Tatis. Who's their LF?

#291 punkoholic, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just killing time. This is a Hitting isolated ranking of qualified players after the all star break last year who were on the Astros or became Astros in the off season by OPS. 130 players in MLB met the criteria for qualified players.

2 L Alvarez DH/LF
    4 R Altuve 2B
    14 Bregman 3B
    44 Tucker RF
    50 [Abreu] 1B
    103 Pena SS
    120 {Mancini} LF/1B
    121 {Gurriel} 1B

Strictly from a hitting perspective, we were really only 4 deep and now we're 5. Pena appears to be showing he may be on his way to joining that group, but he still has most of his value in his defense.

From a hitting only perspective, extending Altuve, Bregman or Tucker may be as good of a use of cap space as adding a FA. Tucker may be unwilling, but it doesn't hurt to ask again.

I would like to see us find another prospect who can become a core player or offer Brantley a contract if he will take a lesser amount coming off injury. A 1 year split contract with the MLB salary of 8M and MiLB Salary of 1M seems fair to me. Perhaps include a conditional Players option for additional incentive.

#292 Marshall Bryant, Dec 6, 2022
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What current player other than the six below are most likely to give you 4 WAR? 2 WAR is roughly an average MLB player, so I consider >4 very good and >6 elite.

2 L Alvarez DH/LF
    4 R Altuve 2B
    14 Bregman 3B
    44 Tucker RF
    50 [Abreu] 1B
    103 Pena SS

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Baseball Reference considers 5+ All Star and 8+ MVP levels in their listing.

I would say for the teams 7-9 best hitters that a WAR of 3.5 ( 1/2 way between starter and All Star) would be very acceptable

I have hope for Meyers who had 1.2 bWAR in 163 PA in 2021. That works out to 3.7 over 500 PA.

McCormick had 2.3 in 320 PA in 2021 which works out to be 3.6 over 500 PA so he could do it if given the playing time also.

*Contreras has hit this number 4 of 6 seasons, including 2 in a row and never been below 2. ( per 500 PA)

I am, more and more, on board with hoping the Astros get him.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 likes this.
  16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Doesn't look like the Dodgers will have any substantial money too spend this offseason. Already talking about Gavin Lux as the starting shortstop.

Rangers are interested in handing out more awful contracts and have a meeting with Rodon.

#296 Mr.Pringles, Dec 6, 2022
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rangers getting Heaney. That’s a good signing, he has ace potential. Rangers rotation gonna be good and they’re 1 star hitter and 2 good bullpen guys away from being a real threat.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Please educate me. Looking at his BR page I don't see much special about him. He strikes out more than one an inning, and doesn't walk very many at all. However, he appears to be fairly hittable, giving up about a hit per inning. Stats-wise, last year was by far the best year of his career, at 31, in spacious Dodger Stadium. He seems pretty average, to me, and his ERA+ would back that up.

What am I missing?

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Lefty with excellent control and mid 90s heat. Changed his pitch mix with the dodgers and posted a 35% k rate. He has a chance to be really really good.

everyday eddie and JeeberD like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Or he could get shell shocked by the Astros giving up at least 6 runs in less than 5 innings in each of his 4 starts vs the Astros and end up a pouting pile of goo with his thumb in his mouth who never recovers.

RunninRaven likes this.