1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

And Chrinos guided our best pitching staff ever and so did McCann before him

awc713, everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  2. Jeremy Williams

Is it odd that Dusty is at the Winter Meetings and talking to the press the day before meeting with a player of interest?

It almost feels like he was sent to clear up his role in vetoing the Contreras deal last summer, and clarify that he would have a critical role with the team if they can sign him.

A bit strange.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They were 8th in OPS, 8th in batting avg, and 7th in runs scored last year.

They can't have Schwarber leading off with Turner there. Schwarber, Hoskins, and Castellanos all strike out too much. It's still likely a top 5 lineup but they need Castellanos to return to form. Bohm developing would help solidify it too.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

All MLB first team = Altuve, Yordan, Verlander, Framber

All MLB second team = Tucker, Pressly

Marteen likes this.
  5. Yordan The Great

I mean he's 38 years old.

He can't hit for crap.

And now we are learning he's a very sloppy catcher (that's what I've been told).

6. Yordan The Great

With the shift rule changes, I think teams will go back to constructing lineups again. A very welcome return.

So yeah Turner needs to leadoff in that lineup. Then your best contact hitter second (think Brantley). Then go from there.

In the Phillies case they may have not have the right blend of hitters to do that.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would they have confidence in him? He's old and he hasn't hit his weight since 2014. Catcher is by far the biggest hole on the roster.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Top tier defensive catcher with a career 114 OPS+ under club control for 3 years. Contreras has a career 115 OPS+, weak defense, and high price tag.

9. Landry's Tooth

You can have 1 bad hitter in the lineup as long as they bring something else.

It's possible the pitching is just as good with someone else. If you have a lineup 8 deep do you want to take the chance it effects your pitching staff to add one more bat?

I'm not sure Contreras is a no doubt move given the long term money may impact keeping others and they have 2 young/cheap catching options to develop.

I'd rather invest in the next Pena than a catching equivalent of trevor story.

jiggyfly and PuzzledFan like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, you can, but you're better off without a terrible hitter in the lineup. Giving the catcher all of the credit for the pitching is a massive stretch

Also, he's turning 37 next year... it's time to start making plans for the future.

11. Yordan The Great

I saw Bochy getting interviewed talking about the signing of DeGrom.

Is it that strange? I've never really followed the winter meetings so I'm actually asking in earnest.

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think you need to slow your roll on Maldy. He played with a hernia tha5 required surgery and a broken hand … it is no wonder he kept dropping strikes and not doing his usual pitch framing and such.

jiggyfly, IBTL, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  13. Yordan The Great

You make outstanding points.

But these people are really enamored (spelled "obsessed") with this Contreras feller.

14. Yordan The Great

The last part is a joke. I actually claimed he's one of the best catchers around but now I'm being told otherwise. That it's all a farce.

I absolutely love Maldy behind the plate. His bat does suck however.

jiggyfly and Rileydog like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Yes or Altuve would walk Bellinger into the locker room to talk to him in private and Maldonado would jump out of one of the lockers and slit Bellinger’s throat with a box cutter and then hold Altuve as he cried.

I’m just kidding, sort of.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Nah. If I can get Contreras at 4/75 or 80, I will take that over Vazquez at 3/27…. The difference in the bat FAR exceeds the 10 million a year difference.

5 years? Yeah I would pass at 5 years probably but not 3-4 years.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Signing an expensive catcher to bat in the bottom of the order isn't a smart use of money imo. If Crane wants to, thats fine, its not my money, spend all day if you can/want. Just doesn't make much sense imo. Vasquez to a small deal is more than fine with me. Fans requiring an all star at every position are nuts

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Contreras isn’t a weak defensive catcher. He is considered weak at game preparation.

I would gladly take the A’s catcher, but his cost in trade is going to be very high. Likely including Garcia and/or Garcia and other pieces.

19. Jeremy Williams

High price tag, but without the extreme trade cost.

20. Jeremy Williams

This is what it is like when you run a dynasty.