1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It was started in 2019

3. HTown2017Champs

The All-MLB team did not become a thing until 2019. That year, he missed a decent amount of time due to injury. He had a bad 2020, and while he had a good 2021 I think he was only 2nd team. TBF, Marcus Semien totally deserved it, he was a beast that year in Toronto.

4. The Juice

The Juice Member

Sean Murphy's career wRC+ is 2 lower than Willson Contreras'. Furthermore, Murphy's wRC+ over his career is 20 points (!) higher away from the graveyard in Oakland. Murphy is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball and better than Maldonado. Getting a catcher of his caliber for the next three years would be amazing.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Seeing all of the impotent whining from rival AL fanbases is well worth it, whether we get him or not.

Kim likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Seems like the astros have very little confidence in maldy since they are going hard after big name catchers. I wonder if they know something about his injury we dont

7. HTown2017Champs

Check his Savant page. And look at who his "protection" in the lineup is. A bunch of AAAA guys (if that). Whoever trades for him will get 3 years of him for about $8M, 12M, and 15M. He's the closest thing to Realmuto on the trade market right now (though not quite as good). And he's a GG winner, and I see, while not as good as Maldy, maybe Realmuto in terms of game planning and smarts.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lovely.

I wonder how many more awards MLB can add over the next 10 years… I’m going to miss it when we got a week without announcing another post-world series award winner. Maybe it could stretch all the way to opening day!

9. Qan

Qan Member

I mean...he is 36yrs old, went through hernia surgery(?), and his best buddy just went to Mets. But mainly the age and injury thing. Astros will be smart to look for someone to take over for future.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

I hate that it's fan-voted. They need to make it like the NFL All-Pro teams where coaches and writers vote. Otherwise it's basically just a year-end All Star vote.

11. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    C Sean Murphy

Athletics get:
    OF Pedro Leon
    OF Collin Barber
    IF Joe Perez
    RHP Misael Tamarez
    RHP Alex Santos

Oakland will not want a catcher. The reason why they're shopping Murphy is, they have a young guy in Shea Langeliers (the centerpiece of the Olson deal) who they think is ready to take over, another one in Tyler Soderstrom who is their top prospect, and yet another, Dan Susac, who was their first round pick last year.

Commodore likes this.
  12. Jeremy Williams

Is that solely based on the fact these are the only 3 that remain?

13. Jeremy Williams

He did just have surgery on his groin, hes 36 years old, and had a broken hand. His defensive skills and hitting have both been on a sharp decline.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

.800 career road OPS. Impressive.

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Also, I bet he would hit better with this Houston lineup too.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

I do not love emptying the cupboard for a C. Maldy has his limitations but he is an ideal platoon guy and oh yeah WE JUST WON THE WS with him. I’m not saying he’s gods gift to earth but Jesus Christ we don’t need to overhaul what’s not broken. Okay, he’s not s great hitter…that’s fine, a vast majority of the catching landscape isn’t…but we don’t need to have elite offensive production out of that spot. Obviously if there is a move that makes sense, then go for it, but we don’t need to replace the guy.

jiggyfly, PuzzledFan and Major like this.
  17. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Call the White Sox and ask what they want for Luis Robert...

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Hold the phone. Are you saying Ken Giles and Francisco Liriano didn’t do it for you?

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Pretty good lineup but man this team still lacks flavor

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Not bad

But we will see how it plays out.

I'll take the Astros AS IS for more wins