1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hey guys,

I always love watching our US guys play but it’s time I really invested in one of the premier/English leagues and pick a team to fall in love with and support.

Any recommendation on teams to follow moving forward.

I don’t want a team like PSG who has every star under the sun.

Any teams with young talent that are on the up and up, or that have a great group of guys who are a piece or two away?

I would really love to hear from some of y’all! Thanks.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Do you also want us to tell you who to date and marry?

-Follow the sports
    -Watch matches from different leagues.
    -See which teams/players/personalities you connect with.
    -Join their forum and have discussions with fans

You gotta do some legwork my man.

You are not really going to connect with a team if you just follow the team we ask you to.

3. Aware

Aware Member

Pick your favorite national team player and follow their club

Or just pick a team with a b****ing crest

4. tmacfor35

Well I’m married and have kids so no. I just wanted some opinions of teams to get an idea of where I should start. Not that I would necessarily choose a team because im told. Thanks I guess…

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is for teams in the English league…

Teams with solid long term history that still are considered among the top in recent history: Arsenal , ManU, Liverpool

Recent winners with influx of Russian or Arab $$: Chelsea and Manchester City

Current team massively overloaded with talent because they just go an buy any player they want: Manchester City

Upcoming Team to watch and keep an eye on: Newcastle with their recent acquisition and oil $$

Portuguese team in the EPL: Wolves

The team that doesn’t win any trophies and always finds ways to choke: Tottenham Hotshit Spurs

The team that generally plays pleasing football in the modern era: Arsenal. Before Wenger was brought on they were known as 1 nill team. Even when they are not winning they seem to score some wonderful team goals.

The team that spends **** load of money every year but cannot get back to their winning ways despite constant carousel of players and managers: ManU

The team with the best home field advantage and the toughest for away teams to play at: Anfield of Liverpool

The team that always finds a way to finish in the mid tables no matter what improvement it makes: Everton

The joke of the league: Tottenham Hotspurs. Not because they suck but because they always find a way to bottle it. Ok maybe they suck as well.

The team with the most delusional fans: Arsenal and ManU

The team with shitty owners: Arsenal and Spurs

The rest of the teams are just participants that rotate finishing near the mid or bottom of the league.

leroy likes this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

why wouldnt you want to support a club with such a pessimistic song.
    supporting west ham will keep you grounded. do it.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

If you want to follow underdogs that have some exciting young talent and aren't packed with stars, you could try Brighton (having a really good season and surprising everyone with good attacking football) or Nottingham (one of the oldest clubs in history and just got back into Premier League for the first time in ages).

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Good list but I'll add a few more for him to help

The team(s) with high profile Americans: Leeds (Brendan Aaronson and Tyler Adams, Jesse Marsch manager), Chelsea (Pulisic), Fulham (Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson)

Don't bother because they won't be in the EPL next season: Nottingham Forrest, Southampton

The team that is low budget but seems to hang around and is generally enjoyable to watch: Brighton

The team with a cool name: Crystal Palace

I've been a ManU fan since the early 90s...so I'm there. If I were picking it up now, as an American, I'd be drawn to Leeds. But Newcastle is going to be real interesting and are a good watch. F*** Arsenal and F*** City and F*** Liverpool.

Zboy likes this.
  10. Raz

Raz Member

You've got to be ******** me...

Glad we have Ulreich as reinsurance. Should suffice for Bundesliga and maybe Pokal, for the CL aspirations that's a huge setback.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Might be the end for him. Sepp Maier had a car accident and never came back.

Also, why the f does he go skiing.

Raz likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Not that it actually always stops people, but does the Bundesliga do provisions in contracts that prohibit certain activities? They do in other sports/leagues.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Some of them have it in their contracts. Apparently not at Bayern.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Raz

Raz Member

Guell they'll reconsider that.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No professional player should be skiing in the off season or until the career is over.

It is an accident waiting to happen.

I would file it in the same risk category as riding a motercycle or having street food in India.

He wasn’t good this WC anyways so maybe it’s time to move on.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seems they consider bringing in Nübel this winter and have him potentially take over, only issue will be Neuer's contract length.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Was going to ask how he wasn't back training with the club but I didn't realize the Bundesliga doesn't start back until late Jan.

Still...pretty stupid thing to be doing mid-season.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Looked it up, ski touring unlike skiing is like climbing a mountain with skis, dangerous indeed.

Most ski tourers do not use a ski lift.

19. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I was in the same boat as you are now about 10-11 years ago. It was the summer of 2011 and it looked like the NFL might have a work stoppage so I made up my mind that I was going to pick a Premier League side to follow. I was always a fan but watched the major tournaments (World Cup, Euro Cup) more than anything else.

My mindset at that time was I wanted the opposite of my favorite NFL team which is the Bills. They were in the middle of a 20 year run of crap and were the team that no one wanted to play for. So I told myself I am going to pick a team that would attract top talent but I also didn't want to pick one of the established teams (United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea). City were bought by the UAE royal family a few years earlier so they were starting to bring players in but were nowhere near the prestige they have today so I picked them and have enjoyed the last 10+ years.

I would recommend understanding what type of experience do you want and picking from there. It's a really fun league and in this 10-12 year window the Premier League has become my 2nd favorite after the NFL.

20. tmacfor35

Loved reading this. I have fallen in love with futbol over time. Enjoyed so much watching Harry Kane and England almost take down France.