1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

We have 6 starting pitchers. Would it be nice to have 7 to account for injuries? Sure, but do you pay a fortune for that?

We shouldn’t have traded Odorizzi.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's making 12.5 million this year. I'd rather have Kluber or Cueto.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never trusted Odorozzi to have a quality start. It was almost shocking the few times he pitched well. I'm honestly glad he's gone.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I know Vasquez wants a starting role, but man I'd fine just running back Maldy and him.
    You've obviously missed the discussions to what a problem he was the locker room

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Odorizzi stinks and continued to stink it up in Atl.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hypothetical trades for the other guys who Nook mentioned:
    Santander: Forrest Whitley, Spencer Arrighetti, and Jaime Melendez
    O’Neill: Hunter Brown and Enoli Paredes
    Seth Brown: Pedro Leon and Forrest Whitley
    Ian Happ: Yainer Diaz and PTBNL

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Maybe, but I’d expect those guys to ask for a lot more and a guaranteed spot in the rotation.

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Mets signing JV- confirmed
    2 yr $86M

thanks for the memories JV! Will always appreciate what you did for the Astros. Too bad you won’t make it back to the WS to see your former teammates.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What are you talking about?

Yes, Randy's age 41-45 seasons were not on par with his age 40 season or many of them prior, but he had a few "quality" seasons.

Age 41= 225 2/3IP in 35 starts. 17 wins 5.8 bWAR
    Age 42= 205 2/3IP in 34 starts. 17 wins 1.7 bWAR
    Age 44= 185IP in 30 starts. 11 wins 3 3 bWAR.

his ERA was noticeably up in his ages 41 and 42 seasons but he still averaged over 6IP / gs and WON

Ages 40-42 ( years that JV wants)

50-33 in 102gs. 676 1/3IP w/ 200+ each year.
    3.73 ERA. 1.078 WHIP. 15.9 bWAR.

I don't think you can use Randy Johnson as a reason to not sign JV

10. Qan

Qan Member

Expected JV goes to Mets

11. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

JV to the Mets for 2 year / $86M with a 3rd year vesting option.

Always a Houston legend! Thanks for everything.

Now let's go spend that money elsewhere

mikol13 likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think this is news to Crane, he's been spending like Verlander was gone from the start.

BigM, Htown Legend, Bregatron and 4 others like this.
  14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If you don't work Lee and/or Diaz next season they will still be inexperienced for 2024 and Maldy will be another year older. This team should be about the post season. There is no reason Lee or Diaz should be riding the pine the majority of the season. Maldonado caught 113 games last season.
    There are roughly 100 games by the 2023 trade deadline. If Lee or Diaz can get half of those starts and 300 PA. We can save Maldy for post season by having him catch 80 plus in the regular season (very few back to back starts), see if rookie can adjust. And if need be get a vet catcher to help out at trade deadline. Who knows Lee or Diaz might actually be decent. You could even start a rookie and bring Maldy in for the 7th to close out the leads in most games.

Get the best bat you can get and start him at DH and platoon in the field where ever at makes sense. We have every position covered to a decent degree but DH.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ok JV is a Met ( unless this is another "Brantley to the Blue Jays" report)

If he has a player or vesting option for a 3rd year them good for him.

If it's flat 2 year deal - screw him he's a mercenary he could have returned for an amount of money that does not impact him or his life and family.

I completely understand the 3rd year at his age.

It sucks for the Astros fans. I was hoping to see him win 300 in an Astros uniform and on to the HOF with a star on the cap.

I also understand Crane not going that far. It has served the team well and hope they keep winning.

I am excited to see who gets brought in to be the newest Astros I will root for.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have a lot more room to spend if he wants to even get close to the tax.

Will be interesting to see where that goes.

Hopefully the rest of the staff performs/stays healthy. I could see another scenario where this team ends up trading again for more pitching at the deadline (vs. just outright signing guys), especially if there are concerns with some of their starters lasting the whole year.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Even without Verlander, there just isn’t a need for more pitching. Fine with it as a “want”, but $43/year goes beyond “want”.

The lineup needed reinforcements. Abreu + 1 other bat does that. Ideally you come out of this offseason with a lineup 7-8 deep, a rotation 6 deep, a fully stocked bullpen, and all of your top 10 prospects still in the farm system.

pugsly8422 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. toby

toby Member

If JV is out the door. I think the calculus on Catcher does shift a bit. It’s a whole lot easier telling your staff who’s gonna catch when you have younger guys and financial control. Especially when JV doesn’t have a personal catcher.
    Not saying Maldy will be surpassed by a new addition. Just makes it easier with JV gone.

IBTL likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I suspect the Astros roughly had two plans
    1) JV signs for X such that they have enough left to fill holes with leftover money.
    2) JV wants more than X, quickly pivot to fill offense with some really good/great players.

I think Astros figured it out very quicky that JV wanted more than they would be able to pay and still fill out roster. I don't think enough teams do this. Make your offer. If it isn't accepted, move on and fill your roster out. I will laugh really hard if the Yankees aren't able to get Rodon or Judge, and Cashman has to bring a Brink's truck to Correa to save face.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I like this better than DeGrom staying put and JV going to the Rangers.