1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

The Rangers have a decent farm system (ranked #6), with most of their top guys in AA/AAA. They also played like a .500 team that got incredibly unlucky in close games. They look to seriously compete in the next few years, though if I were the Rangers, I'd much rather thrown that money at Rodon.

Though it's not great to see this in our division, I'm glad to see a big market team spend like one instead of making excuse after excuse for blowing up any core and never aiming for prolonged success (A's, Cubs, White Sox, Tampa Bay)

jim1961 likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Astros’ specter lingers over this generation of Yankees

The drought since 2009 certainly bothers everyone, but the three postseason series losses to the Houston Astros have created a particularly negative environment that’s new in the history of this team, especially to our generation.

Think about this for a second: Counting the last five seasons (excluding the shortened 2020), the Yankees have averaged 97 wins per year. Ninety-seven!

And yet, the feeling of success is completely overshadowed by the all-too-many playoff losses to the Astros. It’s true that we’re talking about the Yankees, and there would be plenty of disappointment anyway if these were defeats at the hands of a a few different teams. Nonetheless it has certainly added a new level. The Yankees endured brutal October losses to the Angels and Tigers between 2002-12, but this scenario over the last handful of seasons or so has fully turned the tables on this particular squad.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022...n-astros-postseason-struggles-baby-bomber-era

Invisible Fan and mikol13 like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Fred McGriff going to HOF. Schilling doesn't even come close, so his desire to not be voted in by the writers really backfired again.

Also clear no support in the committee for publicly known roiders.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

McGriff would have been a lock hall of famer had he played literally in any other era. 2500 hits, 493 HR , 1500 RBI, with sensational postseason numbers. He also had his best seasons pre wild card when all the numbers starting blowing up around the league.

Of course all of that pales in comparison to his greatest contribution, spreading the word of Tom Emanski's groundbreaking defensive drills.

Nook, Stoic Rob, juicystream and 3 others like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Am I the only one who immediately thinks of the Crime Dog anytime McGriff is mentioned?

6. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Nope,
    Always my first thought.

Man you don't sleep for extended periods of time.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yep lol.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Old Man Diseases. It's never just ONE.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine Yankees fans feel like how I felt about the Supersonics back in the 90s. Seemed like no matter how good the Rockets were, they couldn't beat them. It's fun to be on the other end of that phenomenon now.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m glad McGriff is in, he should hopefully help pave the way for a lot of other players who should be in. I listened to a podcast recently where McGriff mentioned he never watched or knew anything about the Emanaki tutorials, which is funny since that’s what he’s kind of most known for.

I’m also glad Shilling didn’t make it. Morality clause means something and his bizarre pro-Nazi takes belong nowhere near the HOF.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I definitely remember those 90's Sonics. Pure Kryptonite for the Rockets in that time.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mr.Pringles and jim1961 like this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 likes this.
  15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

If Judge was getting offered 8yrs/300 million before this, id love too see how deep the Yankees are willing to go now!!

jim1961 likes this.
  16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The breaking news to me is that Kiley McDaniel is now a Twitter news breaker. I thought he still worked for the Braves.

The NL East arms race is fascinating. Mets lose deGrom/ get Verlander, the Philles raise them with a Trea Turner. Waiting for the Braves to finalize that Sean Murphy deal...

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Correa still waiting on his $300M. Giving 11 years to Turner seems insane.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Ill say if the Giants dont land Judge, they'll have 300 million for Correa.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Yankees gave Cashman a 4yr extension. Im pretty giddy. Only too be outdone if Judge signs with the Giants.