1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Jim Crane fu(ks.

#3561 chievous minniefield, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  2. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Him and Maldy are close in metrics defensively and in frame rate. Maldy drops and has a shiot ton of passed balls.

Maldy is a historically poor hitter.

Buuuut he finally caught up to Wilson in number of world series rings.

It's asinine the Dustyism attributed to Maldy. He was fine enough to barely squeeze through.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

As far as the Montero signing, it makes more and more sense why, if Crane was so adamant about keeping him, he got it done quickly - Steve Cohen's deal to Diaz shifted an upsurge in price for top-end relievers, and signaled the market was going to be more expensive than initially anticipated.
    Anyway, that's all for tonight. Go Astros!

Nook and robbie380 like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Great post! I hadn't even thought about this yet.

5. Screaming Fist

One guy who should benefit as much as anyone with the shift restrictions is Gallo. A team might get a lot of value out signing him.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm back. Good Morning!

Nook, Madmanmetz and cmlmel77 like this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The Future of Baseball

As they expand the limitation on positioning fielders, a logical extension would be to have all fielders start on a spot the size of a base at the beginning of each play so the batter has a maximum opportunity to reach base and thus make games more high scoring. They shouldn't allow defenders to actually MOVE due to game circumstances. There should be no double play depth or coming in to stop the bunt. That's unfair to the batters...

and another thing, pitchers keep making things difficult for the batters, so just eliminate them and place the ball on a tee... Just think of the time it would save not having to wait on pitchers and catchers to get their act together. Eliminate the need for expensive automated strike zones...

~Yes, I'm being sarcastic~

#3567 Marshall Bryant, Dec 5, 2022
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I still haven't seen confirmation of JV to the Mets. I wonder if the source was talking about finalizing a PROPOSAL rather than a DEAL. They may have had to reach an agreement in house to even present an offer to JV.

I like the info from Nook about having several offers out on the table which can be accepted independently at any time until withdrawn. It's the way normal business is supposed to be done.

9. Jeremy Williams

A far better source.

Honestly, if Ben Verlander isnt even tweeting about it, i think it can be confirmed false.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That mutual option thing is pretty well useless because it binds no one. It appears a third year (age 42) at the premium AAV is a hard pill to swallow even for the big spending teams.

I'm personally in favor of going outside the box if we can present an attractive package that gets JV longevity and reduces our CBT hit. I've said as much as 6 years, but at a lower AAV and with achievable conditional options paired with significant incentives. JV may have to make a choice between top AAV or length. I understand wanting both, but I've never understood owners offering both.

Imagine a choice between 2 - $90M ($45M AAV) and 6 - $150M ($25M AAV) with the last 3 years a series of easily met conditional player options (say 100 IP) with incentives. This keeps the CBT minimized while rewarding JV. Perhaps some retirement bonus if he does not exercise his player option, but does not become a FA.

#3570 Marshall Bryant, Dec 5, 2022
    desihooper likes this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

130 over 4...

4th year has light guarantees for a player opt out before vesting...

Gets his aav from 41.6 to 32.5 for tax purposes.

That 4th year would line up with the free agent years for a bunch of guys so we're looking at one really bad year for tax and nothing long term.

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that as well, but I think JV wants his cake and wants to eat it too. The Scherzer comp (3/130 and an AAV of $43.3) is something he wants to beat. I don't think the latest rumored offer of 2/86.8) is a coincidence as it (barely) beats Max's in AAV. When JV signed the 2-year extension for $66MM, he cited bumping up the top AAV as a motivating factor, IIRC.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The details would have to conform to CBA rules on Contracts and CBT calculations to achieve the desired result, but there are many ways to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement if you want to get it done.

The key is determining what is more important if you can't get everything you want. That's very much an individual decision.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The rumored package/offer appears to be a cross between that and the 2 year deal most are willing to put out and the three year deal. If he's after the AAV, he can probably get it in a 2 year deal. He can easily top the total amount in a longer deal.

I'm consistent in wanting him to retire an Astro with 300 career wins. He presently has 61 wins with the Astros.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

OK.
    2023 40 $34.4M; ($43.4.M - $9M)
    2024 41 $34.4M; ($43.4M - $9M)
    2025 42 $34.4M; ($43.4M - $9M)
    2026 43 $30 Team Option $9M Buyout
    2027 44 $25 Team Option $9M Buyout
    2028 45 $20 Team Option $9M Buyout

CBT 3 years $130.2 ($43.4 AAV with buyouts)
    Contract Potential $205.2

Buyouts offer JV protection and Team options offer Astros protection. Unfortunately it doesn't help CBT hit.

#3575 Marshall Bryant, Dec 5, 2022
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think $40M+ AAV for Verlander carries too much risk for Houston.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros have 40M+ in budget left, sign Contreras and Nimmo. That would add two more batters that don't give a **** what arm the pitcher is using.

Jeremy Williams and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

It sure feels like JV is gone.

19. CinematicFusion

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Gallo at 7 or 8M is such a better deal than Yuli at that same number. He can play all the OF positions well and at a minimum occasionally run into a ball, and with the shift gone and the Astros brain trust maybe they can unlock something in him.