1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Imagine this guy batting 6th

If we sign Brantley or Contreras, he could be 7th or have great protection at 6th

raining threes likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Qan

Qan Member

Damn he's about to make $19,950,000 next year.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Crane does not respect LCS MVPs

Bad owner

raining threes likes this.
  5. Yordan The Great

There's another great reason not to sign Contreras. A $21 million player batting 7th? Ludicrous.

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Contreras isn’t good enough too bump Abreu down in the lineup and not having a third LH bat with no shift moving forward is a huge waste. LH hitting is a huge commodity. So much better off with adding Benentendi, Brantley, etc too hit seventh. Let Lee and Diaz develop. Add a veteran expiring contract defensive catcher at the deadline if need be.

Too many negatives for me. Handling of the pitching staff, length and money he’s projected getting that will have a huge impact on future core guys we should be extending, the lefty hitter, defense in LF, blocking your #1 prospect and the AAA player of the year from a chance of making it, etc

Yordan The Great likes this.
  7. raining threes

I will trust Crane's evals over yours.

I don't go deep into the numbers but somebody posted numbers in the other thread about Contreras peripheral numbers being slightly better than Tucker's. Sign me up for that.

BTW, I think Tucker wants to hit FA and won't do an extension. His numbers should really rise with the new shift rules. I could see him hitting close to .300.

Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. raining threes

That's called stacking the lineup during the window to win a championship. You should be happy Crane is willing to spend the money with the big market teams to give his team it's best shot to win a couple of more championships. You must have an aversion to wearing rings or something.

You're also going to need a regular catcher after next season and Contreras working 60 games or so next season at catcher with the pitching staff and then stepping into a full time catching role in 2024 has a lot of value. IMHO

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's MVP talent on a short contract that hasnt shown any sign of slowing down. No way he was getting any less AAV. Only a 2 year contract. The third year isn't going to hurt us much since most of guys we have to make decisions on won't expire until after 2025. This coming years squad will be the one we go to war with until 2025. We may lose Bregman after 2024.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When people say they want LHB, they typically mean they want a batter that can hit RHP. Contreras hits RHP as well as Benitendi. Unlike Benitendi, Contreras mashes LHPs as well. Contreras's contract would only have one year of overlap with the guys due big raises if extended (i.e., that won't affect extensions). The Astros have better defenders in LF than Benitendi available (if it is between Alvarez and Benitendi, I don't care about defensive difference). Contreras doesn't pitch so he's not blocking Brown. If not talking about Brown, Benitendi is much more likely to block better prospects than Contreras (i.e, Contreras can play DH or C, Benitendi forces Alvarez to DH and blocks OFs, bat-first guys, and catchers not good enough to catch). On the handling the pitching staff, that's mostly Maldy who is the one blocking Lee/Diaz if one of those is ready as a catcher.

On Brantley, I'm hoping for Contreras and Brantley. I don't see the money preventing those two from being signed.

#270 Joe Joe, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That is mostly true but much of it is also simply L vs R.

See Robbie Ray vs Yordan
    and
    Jose Alvarado vs Yordan

I know this proves your point ( which I agree with 100%) but sometimes coaching staffs just want a lefty hitter to face a RHP or want a LHP to face a lefty hitter.

Actual ability and performance should be used more.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think the Astros are still good without Verlander.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Astros haven’t won a world series without verlander…

No Worries, YOLO and Yordan The Great like this.
  14. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

You could easily say the same for one batting 6th.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We haven't won a world series without McCullers or Yuli either but I still wouldn't pay them 40 million a year.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Verlander hasn’t won a World Series without the Astros

awc713, jiggyfly, CCity Zero and 16 others like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Discussion of how to reduce those should not be bannable. Hitting behind Tucker may be the best situation for him to hit with Tucker's baserunning skills.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros would have won one more world series if not for Verlander choking.

19. Jeremy Williams

Astros GIDP leaders (on roster):

Bregman 20
    Abreu 19
    Altuve 17
    Tucker 12
    Alvarez 12

I like the idea of Tucker’s speed in front of Abreu. Im sure Bregman is the leader because of hitting after Alvarez.

If we sign Contreras, who had 14, hitting him behind Abreu isnt terrible, who had 40 doubles.

Houstunna and everyday eddie like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you are consistently hitting with men on base and you consistently put the ball in play you are gonna ground into a lot of doubles plays unless you have great speed.

The only way to avoid that is to strike out a lot or hit behind people that don't get on base. Joey Gallo is extremely good at not hitting into DP's, and Altuve's DP's have magically come down since he starting hitting behind the 8 and 9 hitters.

Nook likes this.