1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When are we going to start criticizing Rafael Stone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Stone gets off easier than Silas for me. He’s drafted well and hasn’t made any egregious contract signings. But the roster is fundamentally unbalanced and his trade outcomes have been mixed. I try to compartmentalize the fact that I can’t stand to listen to him talk. But objectively I think the verdict is still out.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Stone has done pretty good in the draft but that’s really all he should get credit for.

I don’t know what else this dude does / never hear from him. Doesn’t pull the trigger on trades that are obvious and stunting growth

He’s one of those guys that is too smart to do the obvious things… like he overthinks stuff because his brain doesn’t have a common sense mode, it has a I’m the smartest in the room/complicated sense mode only

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This alone is unforgivable..

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Because anything not Morey = amazing

(note the sarcasm, but there's a loooot of clowns on Clutchfans lately)

LeDakota and jerryclark like this.
  5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That WOW movement really had some of these so called " know it alls " excited... SMH.. I remember!

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd go with Sengun and Tari. Those seems like two really good picks, at least so far.

ilias and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Stone has bought himself some time...
    but he's on a short leash...

8. riko

riko Member

Evan Mobley was a far better selection for this teams long term and short term future. The guy is already an elite and I mean top echelon two way player with monstrous upside.

he will be a defensive of the year candidate for the next decade at the very least and has great offensive feel around the bucket. Plus he has really underrated playmaking ability and he hasn’t grown into his man body. You can build a team around him because he makes his teammates better on both ends of the floor. Unlike one dimensional chucker Green…

An Sengun and Mobley front court would have complimented each other so well and been so dominant !

kingjosh, jiggyfly and txtodd like this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

None of that is really true though.

Guy is not currently elite and very limited offensively.

xaos, cheke64, cbass and 3 others like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

He is damn near elite defensively. I watched him tonight towel up Embiid… He is a incredibly versatile defender who can guard anyone from a guard to a C.

Offensively as I said he will get better but you can see the pieces are there. Has a good touch around the bucket and can stretch the floor. His upside is enormous

11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Stone clearly wants the no 1 pick. After he gets that I think Silas bites the dust

12. BballFacts

BballFacts Member

What about the guy at the very top? Tax savings Tillman. Every since he took over the this team Houston has declined steadily year after year, it's supposed to be the opposite when you get into business. Tillman cheap self went the opposite route and nose dived, smh. This is Tillmans baby and he's turned a consistently winning franchise into a laughing stock. Stone isn't the problem at all, this franchise would be worse without Stone.

13. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Stone has done well accumulating talent through the draft. Unfortunately for him, drafting is not the only job description of a GM.

The truth is, he hasn’t done all that well in trades or free agency, and especially not hiring the right coach.

Those areas might not seem important during a rebuild, but they have a direct correlation to our growth and development more than you think.

Not having a real point guard on the roster stunts the development of others, especially Jabari and Green. I read somewhere Green scores ~50% of his baskets unassisted? That is why it’s hard for Green to rack up a streak of good performances. Most of his attempts have a high-degree of difficulty. If it wasn’t for his self-creation ability, he’d still be struggling the same way Jabari is now. That’s a failure on Stone’s part.

Gordon still being on the roster blocking minutes? Failure on Stone. Keeping Silas around to teach bad habits? Failure on Stone.

All of this impacts how the core will look by the end of the 2025 season. Which is why I think it deserves some attention.

#33 Mr Woods, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    slothy420, Little Bit, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

After watching tonight's performance I can tell that the Rockets we're just purely beat by a more experienced and physical team of vets. The young guys don't have the physical development much less the game experience to keep up with a team like Denver. After seeing them lose twice to the same team it's easy to start looking everywhere for a head to chop off but I think the real issue is coaching and team personnel. These young guys did not come out with their heads on right which I blame on coaching and then the Nuggets just beat up on them physically which I blame on physical maturation. These guys are still just young 19 - 21 year olds. They need a few more years to fill out.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you citing this as a positive or a negative?

I’m pretty happy that turned out the way it did.

xaos likes this.
  16. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Great picks from drafts but a terrible head coach decision. He needs to fix that mistake when it's obvious youngsters lose hope and there is no progress under Silas.

Maybe he wants to tank for Wemby but still it's not worth it when not guaranteed. After all, Stone may lead to establish loser mentality even more. I worry that Rockets will like Kings for a very long time.

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

We have a young team......come back in three years and then if we are still the same, then go for it.

Just quietly, the OKC debt started last year, but we kept the pick. The same applies to next years pick if it is top 4

Stone has been brilliant so far

Have some patience

These posts always show up after we lose to a good team. Pointless really

We have only had 2 games against teams under .500..........19 against teams with a winning record

O-dawg likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Trading to get Sengun in the draft..................rebuilding the future picks after Morey sold them all away in the Westbrook deal

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Silas is a terrible head coach however Stone hasn't been a terrible GM. Really comes down to that.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Very happy with stone! No GM is gonna make the right move every time. Just think about the steals he’s gotten.. KPJ for nothing, Sengun at 16, Tari, at 17, KMJ at 52 I think, and all of those Brooklyn picks when Harden didn’t stay there long lol

Corrosion, xaos and O-dawg like this.