1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Garcia would be our 4th starter how is he being elevated past the same role he's had the last 2 years?

Verlander and Javier weren't in the rotation in 21, LMJ got hurt, Framber missed time and fell apart...and we still won 95 games and went to the WS.

Astrofan59, 13 in 33 and cbass like this.
  2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't we hear that Click was the one that was against putting Pena second in the batting order?
    Perhaps there was some analytical reason he was against it, and those are the types of things that Bagwell is talking about.

The analytics is in finding players and developing them. Bagwell said he didn't want to be thinking about ten things at the plate. Maybe the analytics went too far in trying to dictate exactly what counts and time of day and situations are going to see a slightly above average chance for a curve ball from the pitcher as an example ...maybe that's too much information to try to digest. As a hall of famer, I would trust Bagwell to be able to interpret if that is too much information for a hitter. Maybe this is what he is talking about?

We have no way of knowing what specifically he is talking about but I would bet money that whatever analytical reason Click had to not want Pena batting second is high on Bagwells list of complaints

13 in 33 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Garcia was 5th this past year. That's elevated. And if/when LMJ or someone else gets hurt. hes forced to be elevated again. All seasons aren't created equal. Just because they got there with 95 wins doesn't mean it happens again in a completely different year. Every year is different and poses different circumstances and different types of teams to worry about

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

https://clutchpoints.com/didnt-thin...ullers-opens-up-on-injury-rehab-ahead-of-alcs

This was one of the ones written right before the ALCS (after he did well against Seattle, but then preceded to struggle against NY and godawful against Philly).

It is enough reason for concern that there is a high risk of him re-injuring it and he’s likely a very different pitcher going forward in an attempt to stay healthy.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think there's an extremely good chance Brown or Garcia wouldn't be noticeably worse than Verlander has been the last 3 postseasons.

The Beard, Wulaw Horn and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dominant LMJ in year 2 post TJ surgery was a big reason they won 95 games in 21… until he got hurt in the playoffs.

I’m not sure LMJ is that type of pitcher any more.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Bagwell interview kind of took away from the positive message we heard about the winning culture and why Abreu wanted to be here. People like Chandler Rome will write 5 articles about it. He likes to write a lot of negative articles about Houston.

I did enjoy Jon Morosi talking after the interview how Houston has a great culture and players want to come here.

Nook and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, but Christian Javier probably is and he was a reliever in 21

The Beard, Wulaw Horn and cbass like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

JV gets some of the most over exaggerated hate, especially by his own fan base here. The amount of disrespect and under appreciation is ridiculous. So now the assumption is Brown an unproven pitcher can do just as good of a job in the postseason as an all time great in JV. And Garcia who's actually been pretty terrible in the postseason with his best outing by far from in relief vs seattle just this year. Just stop

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He did start the season in the rotation… and then they moved him to the bullpen which was done out of precaution as Click was concerned about his arm would perform for an entire season as a starter. Hence leading to signing Odorizzi instead of just letting Javier start.

Hell, they had the same concerns this year before they finally put him in the rotation for good.

Javier pitching an entire season as a starter hasn’t happened… till it happens. Its still a question mark that the front office obviously had enough concerns about initially.

YOLO likes this.
  11. ktex

ktex Member

No, it was Click who did not want him there, Dusty did. I think this was what @Nook said.

Nook likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

For Garcia? Getting under a 3 ERA would be his next step. He has the talent. We know he can give 3.50-3.70 ERA for 157 innings.
    Always be looking to improve and he has the ability

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He is not bad but he will cost money which astros may not have left. I would rather have a left fielder/ center fielder/dh who can hit then a catcher who can hit. If we add a cf or a lf/dh type player then we can have a below average hitting catcher and still have an amazing line up.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Man I remember when swindell and drabek were going to make us winners

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think the Astros should make a real effort to bring him back.

awc713 likes this.
  17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

He probably wants to start -- I'd be ok letting Vazquez start 60% of the time and Maldy 40% and Vazquez could slot into the DH position on occasion. I don't think Baker played him enough to his liking (I get a C coming in at mid-season is challenging) but I'm certain he'll want more playing time

mikol13 likes this.
  18. Jeremy Williams

You sign the guys that are willing to accept reasonable offers. You wish the others well.

Nook likes this.
  19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think we will have a new OFer very soon. And wouldn't count out a C and Relief Pitcher. Kinda wonder if Verlander is gone?