1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly seeing Bagwell’s influence — he realized the mistake the team made letting Bobby Abreu go through the expansion draft as costing him a ring. He helped move Bryan Abreu to a high leverage role, and now orchestrated a Jose Abreu signing.

Expect an Albert Abreu move soon.

2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I understand but there's something different about Verlander he reminds me of Clemens and Ryan who both pitched into their early forties successfully. Baseball is such a guessing game, this is one of those times I'd rather error on signing him and he not panning out then letting him go to the Dodgers and when another Cy Young. If he stays and has three good seasons he'll go in the Hall of Fame as an Astro.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the Mariners will have a good team. I'd rather they be competitive this season when the Astros should be incredibly strong than in the future. I think the Mariners are too thin on starting pitchers and will be hurting in a year or two.

4. Landry's Tooth

Hear me out... 4 years for Verlander...

Structured:
    45 million
    40 million
    30 million
    10 million

That's 125 over 4 for a salary of 31.25 for tax purposes.

You then put an opt out clause at the end of year 3 that's easy for him to get.

This allows you to drop his average tax calculation on his deal while he gets roughly the same money.

At 31 million instead of 38, you would have about 28 million left to cover a Nimmo, Brantley, and or Yuli...

Nimmo is expected to get 20+ over 5 years. He has Boras so unlikely a discount.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that there must always be someone able to step up in case of injury or unexpected issues cause a player to miss time.

Starting pitchers are creatures of habit and routine. There is a sweet spot of 4-6 days but less or more time between starts and they tend to be less effective and possibly at risk of injury.

I think in 2023's MLB a 6 man rotation is perfect if a team has the talent to implement it but a 5 man is workable.

I think having 6 starters in the rotation and 1 in AAA is perfect. 7 in MLB is a problem.

I think Brown needs to be in the bigs but he is the 7th guy if JV comes back.

If JV returns then Urquidy or Garcia need to be traded to accommodate this. Brown could spend 1 year in the bullpen But none of the starters will be FA after 2023 so that is just a band aid with no resolution. And after 23 Urquidy and Garcia have even less trade value.

My idea is 6 man rotation.

JV, Framber, Javier, Brown, McCullers, Urquidy/Garcia

Or

Framber, Javier, Brown, Urquidy, McCullers, and Garcia.

On weeks with an off day, you piggyback the #5/6 starters.

If one of the starters needs a lighter workload due to a stressful, heavy start then alter the piggy back schedule if they think that helps.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have more health/performance concerns for LMJ/Urquiddy over the next 3 years than I do JV. All pitchers have about a 3 year window where health concerns/performance can be impacted.

I don’t think JV will fall off a cliff next year or the year after. Stuff was there throughout this season with limitations after surgery. Year 3 could be iffy.

On the flip side, the Astros should know what they’re getting from Framber/Javier. This is an important year for Garcia who had some really good stretches last year, but also had some continued hiccups (as expected given his age). Would expect Brown to also go through a similar learning curve.

#2526 Nick, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    arkoe and Madmanmetz like this.
  7. ktex

ktex Member

Sign JV and be done. I think the Abreu move will be a great one but let's not start acting like the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. The big free-agent signings will bite you in the ass, eventually.

8. Landry's Tooth

I think you solve that with a trade mid-season if it's a serious injury.

After the deadline is another issue but they will have a better idea of how Lee and Diaz are doing by then...

Madmanmetz likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

Mariners have a top 5 rotation. Where they are weak is the contact bats... they have 3 or 4 decent hitters.

#2529 Landry's Tooth, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If JV signs then I think trading Urquidy or Garcia for Brendan Donovan from St.Louis makes a ton of sense.

Cards need pitching and have the infield depth to lose him and he projects as more of a utility infielder than a starter at any one position.

He would be a good option as starter if any of the 4 infielders miss time.

Haven't looked at the value but I'm sure a package could be worked out.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I disagree

Catcher is a position where familiarity is key. Especially the way the Astros use it.

Any back up or insurance catcher should go through spring training with the pitcher's and work with them as long and much as possible.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Is Abreu our best (and/or, biggest) “external” FA signing ever (that is not a resigning)?

Reddick was the only “big” splash I can recall…

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they sign JV, they are going to trade one of their pitchers to upgrade left field. If JV goes somewhere else, you go after Benintendi. My hope is JV makes a swift decision soon. This will help the Astros round out their team, and it makes it harder on the Yankees since they are in a waiting pattern for the Judge decision. Yankees want Benintendi back.

14. Landry's Tooth

I agree there is a cost there in bringing in a new catcher mid-season.

There's also a cost to not upgrading an everyday player because you're spending several million on a veteran backup catcher just in case an injury happens.

They rolled with Pena at ss last year. Rolling with Lee or Diaz as a backup is far less risk even given the position.

They can also go get someone like Castro, Chirinos, etc. that has some familiarity already.

15. Landry's Tooth

Uh, Nolan Ryan would be the obvious one... first million dollar contract...

Then off top of my head...

Carlos Lee
    Jeff Kent
    Roger Clemens
    Andy Pettitte
    Doug Drabek
    Greg Swindell
    Michael Brantley

And of course Kaz Matsui...

The Beard and juicystream like this.
  16. Jeremy Williams

Given that Maldy is going to be the primary C no matter what, i think option 1 is off the table.

Rolling with your philosophy on stocking depth, I prefer option 2.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

With Verlanders age, McCullers health, and the youth of the other arms; 7 starters is probably a wise luxury if they can do it.

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

100% agree this is the best possible format, keeps all arms fresh for Oct/Nov. Plus the bullpen gets to work in a more routine fashion too. 5 man rotations have 2 guys got shelled early on a series and they start getting taxed in a series, then injuries compound.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

We’re active. We’ll stay active in the market. Yuli is in the mix, Verlander is in the mix. We’re looking at other options. We’re not finished. We think we can improve a little more.

Where are you with Verlander?

Haven’t visited with him lately. I’ve read the press like you have but I haven’t talked to him.

— Jim

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This signing reminds me of when we signed Jeff Kent.