1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think there is any other issue besides his size. He’s damn near a perfect prospect in terms of what I look for in a QB. Arm talent, accuracy, quick processing, cool under pressure, off platform ability, a little wiggle.

But…….that size is a big deal. For some it’s a deal breaker, and I understand why. I’m leaning more towards Bryce at the moment, but I would want some coaching changes before we draft a QB. No one is going to flourish in this system.

2. Qan

Qan Member

Size is the only reason why...all else, Young would be perfect.

whag00, cmoak1982, Omihall23 and 3 others like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if Bryce Young will be a bust or not, but what I'm reasonably sure of is that he's not a top overall pick. The size problem simply cannot be ignored. It's an uncertainty that you want to avoid taking on as a problem when you have pick 1.01. The one thing you cannot do is botch the top pick (David Carr). Better to take a stud defender and avoid the chance of a QB not working out. If Bryce Young is there with our second pick in the first round, then that's worth considering.

raining threes likes this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

News Flash...

There are no so called SURE THINGS for any college athlete coming to the pros.... Especially those at the QB position which is considered the hardest position on the field...

For example lets take Tony Degrate DE out of Texas - Lombardi Award winner, he was suppose to be a hall of famer before his first game... I don't think he even made it to his 2nd year....

Bryce and Caleb both have great skills and to be honest none of know what will happen with them... But in the case of Texans having the option of picking one... I choose Caleb, simply because of his scrambling ability and awareness and so far I have not seen Bryce have to do that with the O-Line that he has at Alabama... So which ever one comes to the Texans they will need to be ready to scramble (A LOT)...

T_Man

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sub 200 pound QBs getting rolled up on or simply just fallen on top of is a real concern. He's not the most escapable QB either he prefers to play within the pocket and whatever team he lands on more than likely wont have the protection to keep him upright being a 'bad' team to be able to select him in the first place. I think he's a great leader and plays well in big games which isnt seen on the stat sheet if he were a bigger guy I'd have no qualms taking him this year, but like other guys have said there is little reason to believe that Lovie/Pep will be able to do any sort of development so hopefully they would not throw a young QB out there to be sacrificed for a season before they realize he needs better decision makers around him to help him succeed. If they go QB this year I hope its a package deal with new HC/OC.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s why I’ve been saying draft Anderson 1st then trade up for Bryce

Shark44 likes this.
  7. raining threes

History is why you don't pick Young and those that don't choose to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

But hey maybe Young's that 1 in a million guy. I hope he is because I think that's who Cal is going to make Caserio pick.

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

I see two viable ways to build a super bowl team: 1) have a super star QB or 2) pair a filthy defense with an offense that scores enough to win. The first way is fun but requires you to have that guy at the QB position. Keeping that guy usually costs the remainder of the team to be underfunded so it's crucial that he is just that good. The second way seems more sustainable imo. Build up the defense and invest in establishing a killer run game to pair with a QB that doesn't have to be an all pro to be successful. We already have pierce and the O-line isn't THAT far away.

#1028 sydmill, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    raining threes, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Anderson should/will be the pick

Going to be interesting if we trade back up for Bryce.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Curious as to who the last team to win with option 2 was.

I wouldn't count the Rams, as I think Stafford is/was an above average quarterback, and they sold out on offense more than defense. When I say sold out, I mean look at them now.

Honest question...

sydmill likes this.
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

How can you repeat something that has never happened? What exactly are we learning from, other than that people don't like small qbs? There's no evidence that small qbs are worse in the nfl.

12. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Please at least watch the man play. Bryce has literally done these things in every single game he plays. Go and watch the Georgia games from last year when he was facing the best defense in college football, littered with first rounders, and he escapes pressure and has awareness of the pocket at a high level. At least the other people who criticize Bryce have valid points to make. Do your research before spouting nonsense.

13. Billy O Butts

Billy O Butts Member

Bryce Young it is. Anyone who says Anderson is a r****d. What the hell is that man going to do to put points on the scoreboard. Our trash ass D needs someone who can put up some points, period.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A lot to dissect here. Saban and Riley have almost polar opposite offensive philosophies so it's difficult to compare Bryce vs. Caleb with regards to scrambling and escapability IMO. Saban wants to slow things down and essentially run a pro-style offense which is the main reason he brought in BoB. Moreover, he wants his QB to stay in the pocket and run only when they absolutely have to. Riley on the other hand gives his QBs a lot more freedom which usually equates to a lot more scrambling and designed running plays for them.

And yes guys like Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield are naturally going to run a lot more than a Mac Jones or AJ McCarron based on their ability alone. But Jalen Hurts is a pretty good example of the difference between the two offenses. He rushed 233 times under his one season under Riley vs. 154 his last full season under Saban despite having an identical ypc. Caleb also has double the rushing attempts so far this season as well. Interestingly enough, Bryce has a better ypc.

One thing both guys are improving on is their sack percentage:

Young:
    2021: 39 Sacks (7% sack rate)
    2022: 16 Sacks (4% sack rate)

Williams:
    2021: 20 Sacks (9% sack rate)
    2022: 22 Sacks (5% sack rate)

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With Williams specifically he's played in the same system both years with Riley. The uptick in rushing attempts is twofold IMO with the USC OL not being as good and Caleb Williams being mindful of his own abilities in situational football. If its 3rd and 5 a guy like Williams opens up an infinite amount of options with his skill package. Dont get me started on the BOB EP system because I dont think its a good system for todays NFL personally. Bryce Young is a very good field general and gets the ball where it should be most of the time. He's had to go off script more this year due to poor OL play and not having experienced receivers with established chemistry to throw to. It gets even sketchier for me if Young is going to need to scramble around and give defenders a running head start in landing a blow. Some guys just have that innate ability to feel the rush and evade like Williams and built to withstand the punishment - you cant really teach that and its what separates him from the pack for me.

raining threes, T_Man and gucci888 like this.
  17. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I suggest everyone watch this short synopsis, because it's quite accurate. I think almost every qb prospect bust has glaring mental flags that people ignored in favor of physical traits. In this case, the only negative is a physical trait. Usually that's lack of arm strength which can be a killer in the nfl, but here it's size. It's just an unprecedented shortcoming for a prospect that's this talented. His family is clearly extremely aware of it and they've been prepared for the scrutiny, but at the end of the day I think it's about how you play on the field, and with his pocket mobility and field awareness, I think he can do enough to protect himself from unnecessary injuries. I say unnecessary because all players get hurt no matter what their size is.

whag00 and zeeshan2 like this.
  18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The broncos I guess. And the giants had that dominant front 4 with strahan.

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think your QB has to be average to above average with a good scheme and talent around him. The alternative is having a Brady/Manning/Mahomes type. I think those Seattle teams are the archetype. Russell Wilson was above average (well above Id say) but he was not a top 3 QB or anything. I dont think you aim for those Baltimore teams with Trent Dilfer. San Francisco in '20 would be another example of a team that got to the big game without an all timer at QB (Jimmy G).

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't disagree about SF, but they didn't win it. In fact, KC scored 21 in the fourth to come back and win it. I don't remember all the details of the game, but I think this speaks volumes to defense can only get you so far.

I think Wilson was a top 5 QB for the Seahawks when they were winning.

I don't think Dilfer can be mentioned, though he makes my point. If we have to go all the way back to then, we're talking about an entirely different league.

In today's NFL, I'd venture to say that there's maybe 10 guys that you can win a Super Bowl with. If you don't have one of them, you're a pretender, no matter how good you think you are. If you don't have one of those guys, you better try and get one, or else you're treading water. I'm talking about a team like the Vikings with Kirk Cousins.

You also need a great team around them.

Back to my point. Draft a QB if you want to win. There's no point in projecting out QBs that aren't coming out. Things change. If your QB isn't cutting it, and you still want to win, you need to have the balls to pull the plug and try again in three years. Then, the picks run out.

To do otherwise is to continue with mediocrity.