1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Toyota is their beta tester. The Toyota's RAV4 Prime was the PHEV before Lexus came out with the NX450h+. Toyota's bz4x was their first entry into EVs, so Lexus has probably learned their lessons from that. The bz4x has issues with the wheels falling off, so it wasn't a great success.

That's not to say the other competitors are head and shoulders above. Ford's Mustang Mach-E would randomly die whether you were moving or not. The Chevy Bolt might explode. Tesla has quality control problems and service issues. Volkswagen's batteries self-discharge leaving you with less mileage.

Reeko likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Lexus RZ, the car you're talking about, is built on the same platform as the already-out-there Toyota BZ4X. Hopefully the issue with the BZ4X's wheels falling off won't plague the RZ, and hopefully most of the other kinks will be beat out of the BZ4X before they're passed onto the RZ.

But the RZ technically isn't the first Lexus electric. The UX has been selling overseas in Europe and China, I believe for at least a year or two.

As for reliability, I heard about this report a couple of weeks ago from Consumer Reports, and it seems like it'll be a crapshoot for the first few years : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/15/consumer-reports-new-technologies-make-evs-less-reliable.html

jiggyfly and Reeko like this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

I've had alot of cars.. From a Supra to an Evo X to a Porsche to a Lexus Is250 I then traded in for a Lexus RC-F.... I no longer have my Lexus RC-F but I can say without a doubt Lexus in my opinion makes the absolute best cars. I've always been somewhat of a Toyota fan but Lexus seriously makes some of the best cars out there. They give you all the quality of BMW and Benzo's but with reliability and current models matching performance. Yeah some of them share the same chassis as Toyota models and that's not bad thing at all but the rest of the car is primarily of way different build quality.

And I totally agree, no need to rush into the EV scene. Its primitive for every single auto maker. They all pretty much have problems that just simply makes them not worth it right now in my opinion. I don't think I'll ever even make the switch if I don't have to. I love cars, I love engines and I love driving shift stick.

Reeko likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Oh yeah, technically, the bz4x isn't Toyota's first EV. They had a RAV4 EV in 2014.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is bullshit.

Toyotas and Lexuses are pretty much the same mechanically when sharing the same platform Lexus offers more features and better motors but the parts are mostly the same.

https://fourwheelinsider.com/lexus-toyota-parts-interchangeable/

In principle, the answer is yes. Lexus and Toyota parts are interchangeable as long as they share the same platform: transmission, powertrain, and chassis. But the compatibility of this part also applies to minor parts.

In addition, another great advantage of this interchangeability is the low cost of Toyota parts compared to the cost of Lexus parts. Suppose the person has an older vehicle and cannot find the original part they are looking for. In that case, interchangeable parts may be the best solution to get that model running. Join us in the following sections to know more about the benefits of using interchangeable parts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pe...e-lexus-and-toyota-parts-interchangeable.html

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I never stated that Lexus and Toyota don't have interchangeable parts. Lexus is made by Toyota, why wouldn't Lexus use Toyota parts like fuel pumps, starters, turbo's, radiators, alternators and the list goes on and on. This is exactly why Lexus cars are so reliable, because of those Toyota parts. But to think that because a Lexus uses Toyota parts its a rebadged Toyota is just stupid.

Lexus may use Toyota parts for reliability but those engines aren't the same, the leather on the steering wheels are not the same. The interior plastics and leather on the seats are not the same. The electronic dashes are not the same, neither are the infotainment systems. Not the speakers or the safety features. I mean Lexus uses real wood for their steering wheels and interior. Try getting that in a Camry.

Lexus is on a whole different level, interchangeable fuel pumps do not make a Toyota a rebadged Lexus. Stap

Reeko, Sajan and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Internal Combustion Engines will again reign in 2023.

Astrodome likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1
    There are definitely shared parts but to say Lexus is just a rebadged Toyota is ignorance. If you have ever owned both cars you would know there's a difference in quality in terms of craftmanship and drive.

Salvy likes this.
  9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Lexus is to Toyota as Lincoln is to Ford, or Cadillac is to Chevrolet. It is the luxury brand of the same manufacturer.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think by now everyone knows that.....

The world luxury gets thrown around a lot.. like people calling Teslas luxury cars...smh.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A Toyota Avalon is a rebadged Lexus.

ramotadab, Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of the things you mentioned are superficial you said this.

Yeah some of them share the same chassis as Toyota models and that's not bad thing at all but the rest of the car is primarily of way different build quality.

All of them share the same chassis, and primarily they are the same build quality, they just have better quality materials and more upgrades.

I never said Lexus is a rebadeged Toyota but more than 75% of the cars are the same.

Calm down my guy I am not saying Lexus is the same thing as Toyota but you can get the same thing in a Toyota as in a Lexus if you upgrade it enough.

Also they do share some of the same engines.

The Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES are powered by the same 3.5-liter V-6 engine, which is also used in the Highlander, Camry and Lexus RX.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Lol. stop it.
    Upgrade the Toyota to a lexus with what features?
    There's a distinct quality difference in craftmanship between the two brands. Maybe it's related to materials used or more skilled workers or high quality control on parts....tuning...
    But to say you can go buy a toyota and add some packages to make it a Lexus..what an idiotic comment.

"Nope. Even Lexus cars that are based directly on Toyota models (e.g. the UX vs. the C-HR) are built to more exacting standards when the Lexus badge is going on (and mind you, Toyota’s standards in this day and age are among the best in the industry already). It took a team of top workers at Toyota’s Georgetown, Kentucky plant a full year to learn to build the Lexus ES to Lexus standards. And that’s a plant that had won multiple awards for making the best-built Toyotas in the industry, even beating Japan some years."

Salvy and Reeko like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude chill.

I agree with all of this I am not saying they are just badged Toyota's yes they are built better but more than 75% of the parts are the same thing you can get on a Toyota that's my only point.

OI never said you can go buy a Toyota and some packages to make it a Lexus, it's idiotic that you think that's what I said.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

You throw out 75% like it's a fact.
    You are also missing the fact that not all parts are QC'ed the same. Maybe it's a much tighter spec for Lexus and the rest goes to Toyota..

You did though...tell me what I can upgrade in a Camry to make it a Lexus.

Reeko likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It is fact depending on what level Camry or Lexus you get.

I also said the level of QC if different but the parts are the same they don't make parts for Toyota's different from Lexus, I have no idea why you are so triggered by this, the same thing is true with VW and Audi's and other car companies.

Calm down my guy nobody is saying they are just throwing a Lexus badge on Toyota's.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My 2004 Tacoma better'n any Lexus yall got. RC this, LFA that, no chance - GOOD LUCK.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am not triggered. I am disagreeing with you. One can do that without being "triggered".

VW, Audi and Porsche shares platforms and components. That doesn't mean they are the same cars just rebadged.
    And I can't just upgrade packages on a VW to make it an Audi or a Porsche.

In fact, one of the reasons the Porsche Macan EV is delayed because Porsche wants to make their cars "feel" different while still sharing the PPE platform. Audi CEO and Porsche CEO (now VW CEO) doesn't agree with each other.

Salvy likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You seem triggered because you keep saying rebadged when I have never claimed they are just rebadged.

Some Porsche's are built on the same platform as other Porsche, and they feel different, so I don't know what your point is.

You can spec a VW and a Audi the same way and they will 95% the same you can do the same with a Lexus and a Toyota I am sorry this bothers you so much.

It seems you can actually get a Toyota that is better than the Lexus equivalent.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Lexus talk not going away.

Sajan likes this.