1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He sounds like a freshman in college who just went to his first psychology class.

What a moron. His grasp on the concept of "free speech" is tenuous at best

dmoneybangbang and Ziggy like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I always thought it was a handicap for me in managing a tech company that I cannot write code.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disagree. Management is an important learned skillset and at some point a company should dedicated engineers and dedicated managers.

I wish I had taking CS classes during college... BUT I have never needed to actually code anything beyond using R. My take is let the coders code and let the rest of the workforce do what they do best.

jiggyfly and RedRedemption like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I am not saying I agree with Elon's approach. I'm saying that I personally wish I could understand coding better, if for no other reason than to not have to believe everything I'm told, but be able to spot check myself sometimes.

RedRedemption likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you can't do your subordinates job why do you feel qualified to lead them? This is why middle management is usually the first to go in layoffs.

And I disagree. Management is a personality trait that can be refined. MBAs do not automatically make good managers.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

At least in my workplace, it's not the case that a manager is managing "subordinates". It is common that engineers have technical expertise in areas that the manager doesn't have (or in areas that no one on the team has). Management has value beyond technical work. An ideal manager has broad technical knowledge, but it isn't essential that they have the in-depth knowledge to do the job of every person they are managing.

jiggyfly, Sajan and RedRedemption like this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I agree in terms of an EM should have an underlying knowledge and experience as a former IC. I heavily disagree they need to be pumping out code regularly in lieu of unblocking their team and managing communication as well as people.

As you progress in software you are expected to be more than just someone who pumps out code individually and impacts the company on a macro scale. At some point you cannot do both the micro and the macro. There is a reason why you code less with more seniority and aren’t expected to code at all when it comes to management.

Esp as you hit staff and principal on the IC track and anything on the management track. I’ve seen a CEO yolo code himself, it doesn’t ever end well. I’ve seen a CTO write and execute a bad query and break things. Bad processes but even so it’s a considerable waste of their times.

Agree with the management stuff. MBAs don’t teach you how to be a good manager.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is dangerous unless you can control yourself. We have wasted countless hours discouraging horrible CEO/CTO decisions because they had shallow knowledge and decided to overrule their engineers on purely technical decisions where they were objectively wrong. The CTO learned to trust their team.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. dmoneybangbang

So Elon tweeted something false…. Got caught…. Then had someone add the Twitter warning later?

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. durvasa

Parody should be marked clearly as parody, even if the author supposedly thinks the fact it is parody should be obvious. There are a lot of credulous people who will believe anything about their political enemies.

13. dmoneybangbang

Ah, so Elon was trolling CNN in order to get them to respond so he can then get them with “warning”.

14. durvasa

Oh, I don't know. But I think the original tweet of a doctored image intending to portray an ideological opponent as crazy by putting ridiculous words in their mouth that they didn't say should be labeled as parody. If the account that was producing and posting the image was a parody account -- like The Onion or The Babylon Bee -- then it wouldn't be necessary. But when Musk puts out an image like that to his millions of followers, many will believe it is literally true.

15. dmoneybangbang

I thought it was real since I assumed Musk had better things to do….

16. durvasa

No, CNN Didn't Say Musk Could Threaten Free Speech by Letting People Speak Freely | Snopes.com

No, CNN Didn't Say Musk Could Threaten Free Speech by Letting People Speak Freely
    The parody headline was even shared — without disclaimer — by Elon Musk himself.

[...]
    However, as CNN's PR department quickly pointed out in a reply to Musk's tweet, the screenshot is fake, and no such headline ever appeared on CNN:

A "Community Note" was soon appended to Musk's tweet stating that:

The screencap in this image is not real and originated from a satirical website. CNN aired no such report about Musk "threatening free speech" and the chyron has been digitally altered to add the text.
    The satirical website referred to in the note is the Genesius Times, which indeed bills itself as "The most reliable source of fake news on the planet." Another blurb on the site says, "We strive to provide the most up-to-date, accurate fake news on the Internet. Our team of journalists, hacks, and starving writers only want one thing: to make you laugh and/or cry." The CNN satire was published in April 2022.

We reached out to Musk via Twitter to ask if he realized the screenshot was fake when he shared it. Given that one of the larger challenges he has faced in taking over the reins of the platform is making sure satire and parody accounts are adequately labeled so they don't confuse or mislead users, it was unclear what his intentions were when he shared the fake tweet without identifying it as such.

Although we didn't hear back from Musk in regard to our query, he did issue a subsequent tweet implying that his earlier message was a successful test of Twitter's Community Notes feature:

[...]
    Looks like it was eventually tagged by Twitter. Good. I don't know how effective that automatic Twitter tagging is, though. He should be more careful and not encourage others to put out false images without a clear note that it's parody/satire.

17. dmoneybangbang

So now the question is did Elon know it was parody? Or did he know so he can troll CNN with the “warning tag” after CNN replied.

Sounds like Elon needs a friend.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sssooooo does that mean he codes?
    I mean him not coding would be like a General who cannot shoot a gun or something

Rocket River

Sajan likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

High-profile Republicans gain followers in first weeks of Musk’s reign
    Shift in follower counts for Elizabeth Warren, Ted Cruz show how the platform is beginning to change under Musk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/27/musk-followers-bernie-cruz/

excerpt:

High-profile Republican members of Congress gained tens of thousands of Twitter followers in the first few weeks of Elon Musk’s reign over the social media network, while their Democratic counterparts experienced a decline, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) all lost about 100,000 Twitter followers in the first three weeks of Musk’s ownership of Twitter, while Republican Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Jim Jordan (Ohio) gained more than 300,000 each.

It’s difficult to tell exactly why follower counts go up and down, and the counts are often affected by Twitter banning bot accounts en masse. Not everyone following a specific politician is a supporter.

Still, the pattern suggests that tens of thousands of liberals may be leaving the site while conservatives are joining or becoming more active, shifting the demographics of the site under Musk’s ownership. The changes are in line with a trend that began in April, when Musk announced his intention to buy the company.

On average, Republicans gained 8,000 followers and Democrats lost 4,000. For its analysis, The Post analyzed data from ProPublica’s Represent tool, which tracks congressional Twitter activity.
    more at the link

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Increase the toxic hate.