1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Bryce Young has a ceiling of Kyler Murray. No thanks. Also, he's smaller than Murray and a massive injury risk. DEFINITELY NOT first overall pick material. First round pick, sure. But not 1.01.

This choice is not between Davis Mills and Bryce Young. Go get a free agent QB and use 1.01 on a deserving top overall pick.

body slam and raining threes like this.
  2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Apart then both having darker skin color and being 5’11 they’re different players but whatever floats your boat ;)

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bryce plays nothing like Kyler. Bryce is a pocket guy who can move a bit. His style is closer to Russ/Drew than it is to Kyler

T_Man, Omihall23, cbass and 1 other person like this.
  4. Qan

Qan Member

Which group will blow their load louder if Texans does or does not draft Young? I look forward to it. Will it be similar to the last time the Texans had the #1 and another Young was also there for the taking?

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

6. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

2023, draft nothing but offensive and defensive linemen.

2024, draft Caleb Williams (or the QB from UNC)

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Young but Anderson should be the pick if he’s available IMO. He is a much better prospect than Mario was.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m with this too…but I’m also interested in trading back up for Bryce who will fall imo because of his size.

Stroud and some team is going to fall in love with Levis before drafting Bryce.

Having a defense with
    Anderson
    Sting
    Pitre
    Harris

And possibly Demeco as HC is very solid

gucci888 and deb4rockets like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Also I must mention I would 1000% behind drafting Bryce 1st overall

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

A foundation of pairing these two kids back together would be very solid as well

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't see Levis going before Bryce. Stroud possibly but still think Bryce will be the first QB off the board.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023-nfl-mock-draft-anderson-wilson-carter/

Bryce Young
    QB, Alabama

The Texans are projected to own the No. 1 overall selection with a roster that has seemingly been littered with holes for the last several years. No hole is more glaring or more important to fill than quarterback and Bryce Young has the right makeup to be Houston’s guy. While there will be questions about his size, there is no question about his leadership, accuracy, and playmaking instincts. If Houston is going to get it turned around, they have to find the right direction at quarterback and Young gives them a chance to secure that guy.

Myles Murphy
    EDGE, Clemson

The Texans must prioritize utilizing their premium assets on premium talents at premium positions, which is the case here in this NFL mock draft with the investment in Myles Murphy. Murphy is a powerful and explosive edge rusher that can reduce rush angles, play through blocks, and really threaten the width of the pocket on a consistent basis. He would provide a much-needed building block for the Texans on their defensive line.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Soon

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Ok... I never stated to tank to get Caleb...

So let me re-state this....

If Caleb is available in this Draft, since it's looking like the Texans will have the #1 pick, they should definitely draft Caleb as I stated the Kid is special..

Now, if Caleb is not in the Draft, you have to get Bryce.. You don't tank another year, not a very smart move...

Both kids are very talented and equal to one another and you really can't go wrong with either of them... But if you had to choose between the 2 I would go with Caleb..

T_Man

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#1016 zeeshan2, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Omihall23, Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm torn I really am I really feel like we can draft will then trade back up for Bryce

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great videos, but I want Anderson even more. The comparison to Von Miller makes me reflect on the 2011 Draft, when Cam Newton went #1 and Miller #2. Of the three QBs taken in Rd1 only one is still in the NFL, Blaine Gabbert is Tom Brady's b/u in TB.

I've already sighted the draft with Luck and Griffin. In 2015, you had Winston and Mariota 1/2, neither has been that franchise QB. In 2016, Goff and Wentz 1/2. In 2017, Myles Garrett and Mitch Trubisky went 1/2 and of course Mahomes went 10th. In 2018, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold went 1/3, which Josh Allen went #7 and some guy named Jackson lasted until the 32nd pick. I'll pause there because you would like to have 4-5 years to evaluate how a draft turned out and 2018 crowd is in their 5th year and the Top 2 qbs drafted are both on their 2nd teams, while the other two drafted are arguably two of the best in the league. The record for teams picking the right QBs at the top of the draft is not very good historically.

I will say the 2019-21 drafts look to have some very promising guys that were drafted #1 overall, but they're all having some growing pains (although Burrow likely exceeded timelines/expectations).

I know the Young only fans will jump on this post and again for the record, I'll say I really love his game. I'm just not convinced he should be the #1 pick in the draft and if we could get him with our 2nd 1st rounder, then that would be great. Anderson just looks like he can be a devastating Edge and technically the second most valuable position to QB is an elite pashrusher, add to the fact that he's also very good against the run and you have a slam dunk prospect for a team that needs to bat 1000 if at all possible in RD1.

sydmill, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

From everything I have observed on the 2022 Texans, we will absolutely suck again in 2023 regardless of whether we draft a QB in the 2023 draft or not. A rookie QB is not a recipe for winning in the NFL. So I'd say there's a high chance we end up with the top pick again in 2024, when Caleb Williams becomes available.

The worst possible thing we could do is to burn the top overall pick on a QB that doesn't turn into a star. Baker Mayfield, Mitchell Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Kyler Murray... all examples of players whose selections at the top of drafts led to a period of sustained losing... and in many cases, the need to burn additional draft picks at the QB position.

Draft defense at 1.01 unless there's a sure-fire future pro bowl QB available. In this upcoming draft, there simply is not.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

No such thing as a surefire future pro bowl qb except for Andrew Luck. One thing that all of the qbs you listed have in common is their lack of maturity and ability to mentally process the game. Attributes that Bryce Young excels at. If you want to convince people that Young will be a bust, tell us why he will be a bust other than size? So far, I have yet to see any real comparisons between his mental make up and the busts and successes.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.