1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Green is on a different level than KPJ. He's already a better playmaker. Like I mentioned, won't argue on Silas being a terrible coach. If he was even decent he'd bring KPJ off the bench.

You're being harsh on Green when you defend KPJ all the time

2. King1

You're a buffoon. Worst poster here. You're a quitter though so I get your KPJ support.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The truth is as score first combo guards(which I think is ultimately what these guys are), with the goal of a scoring guard being to score efficiently, KPJ has actually been fairly consistent in being below league average efficiency for the majority of his games while Jalen has varied wildly. Jalen showing much more high end upside as an efficient, volume scorer and that’s ignoring the age difference and just basing it off the results.

Reminder league average efficiency this season is 57.2 TS%

KPJs games from highest to lowest efficiency
    Overall : 51.9 TS%

1. 69.3%
    2. 64.8%
    3. 58.9%

4. 56.6%
    5. 56.1%
    6. 55.3%
    7. 53.9%
    8. 50.7%
    9. 50.5%
    10. 49.8%
    11. 49.4%
    12. 48.8%
    13. 47.0%
    14. 46.8%
    15. 45.8%
    16. 40.7%
    17. 34.6%

Jalens games from highest to lowest efficiency
    Overall : 54.7 TS%

1. 80.6%
    2. 72.9%
    3. 72.5%
    4. 72.2%
    5. 71.6%
    6. 66.6%
    7. 63.1%
    8. 62.9%

9. 55.0%
    10. 50.8%
    11. 48.2%
    12. 47.0%
    13. 43.2%
    14. 39.1%
    15. 39.1%
    16. 38.0%
    17. 32.4%
    18. 27.7%

Corrosion, Dobbizzle, King1 and 2 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shocking - clearly a sign he is maturing.

DD

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  5. DaDakota

I so disagree with all of this, your bias is just out there flag flying, you have never liked KPJ so you aren't giving him a fair look.

Green's playmaking is ok, but not better than KPJs, his dribbling is worse, his shooting is erratic, same as KPJ - they are nearly identical in production....

I think if you just told KPJ to focus on making shots ala Green his numbers would go up......

We are thankful to have both, and if they stay together for 3-4 more years we should be very good......at the guard spots.

DD

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is quietly having a good season with almost 20 points a game, 6 rebounds and 6 assists but almost 4 TURNOVERS a game. Could he be a ALL STAR one day? To be a real ALL STAR point guard he needs to average 20 points and 8 assists a game but TURNOVERS has to be under 3 a game. He is not a Point Guard, he is a Small Forward or th Man. Also, he needs to work on his FG%(41.2%) and 3-Point%(33%), he is not a good shooter. Repeat he is not a good shooter but he is a SCORER. He need to average 25 points a game next season, 8 rebounds and continue to play good defense and then next season he could be recognized as a ALL STAR.

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I did not know he did this KPJ, I knew he did it too Jabari after Murray shot and made a 3 he hit Jabari in the back of the head. After that, Jabari went after him and the scuffle almost heppen. Murray is going to get his BUTT kick doing that to people....crazy

Corrosion, red5rocket and DaDakota like this.
  8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I know Porter and Murray are really good friends and they are from the same area and KPJ looks at him like a big brother, but not to Jabari. Jabari is skinny but he has a freaking attitude

9. King1

I don't like him. I have no problem admitting that. Him quitting at halftime was it for him. That's just part of it. He's just not a good starter. If we want to talk about him off the bench I might see more value.

Green is a better playmaker than KPJ. He sees a lot more on the court (would agree hes mot there yet)

If you told KPJ to score off the bench we'd probably have a good value. Just see it different.

We're set at SG with Jalen. Let's see if we can get a PG.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I challenge anyone to look at his highlights from his first season with us. He had quick moves and was decisive. His shot was way worse but his stats overall were roughly the same.

Nowadays he just runs around, dribbling the ball off his foot.

This whole PG experiment thing is messing with his head. He used to be a more explosive player, now he's extremely easy to read.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. King1

He is not him. Sengun balled out and obviously Green did. Like where Jabari is progressing

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green's game tonight against OKC was so ridiculously efficient that his TS% jumped a whole percentage point to 55.6%.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

KPJ is currently the 6th best player on the team, behind Alpi, Green, Gordon, Bari, Tari (with Garuba and KMJ on a similar level).

I commend him for having taken a bit of a backseat tonight, which helped us secure the win. As long as he plays within himself and focuses on his strengths (catch-and-shoot), he could become a valuable 6th man.

clutchdabear, Salvy and King1 like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think kpj is a talented Individual who can certainly b with us in the long run, just not as the primary offensive facilitator. He needs to focus on his scoring abilities and run the offense once in a while not 24/7. Noticed how we still won without him being the primary facilitator?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. DaDakota

We don't have a primary facilitator, we have a guy that brings the ball up, we play 2 combo guards.

Last night KPJ had 10 assists and 4 turnovers and we won.....

Tonight Jalen had 9 assists and 4 turnovers and we won.....

We don't need or play a PG - got to get with modern times people.....

Enjoy the ride, we are playing 2 Combo guards, if the left one don't get ya, the right one will.

DD

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Meanwhile KPJ with 52.6 TS% tonight. That’s 15 out of 18 games below league average efficiency. I just don’t think scoring out of the role he is in is going to be a long term answer. Him being off ball is probably the answer.

17. DaDakota

He does need to shoot the 3ball better, that has dropped off recently - but the midrange is going pretty well, and I contend he will improve as he continues to play the same role.

And in the end, even though as you say he shot below average at 52.6 - who cares? He played well enough for the team to win.....and was pretty lose with the ball with 5 turnovers.

DD

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That’s not how it works man. Efficiency is literally the name of the game. His midrange efficiency is not good either, it’s bad. He’s just not a good enough shooter to shoot as much as he does. He’s shown a capability to be a great catch and shoot guy, but a primarily off the bounce scorer has gone bad and it’s not a small sample either. We won tonight because we had a lot of other guys who were really efficient playing against a pretty crappy team.

You can’t just say well we won so it doesn’t matter that he was inefficient. We are trying to figure out who can excel in certain roles for the future and KPJ in his current role is not excelling as a scorer.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Why is KPJ's poor shooting efficiency always seemingly a taboo subject? It's a legitimate problem, just like how Harden's poor defense was always a topic of concern.

He has been given the keys to the team's offense, but he is clearly at best the 4th best offensive option. He also has by far the lowest assisted FGM% on this team; 72% of KPJ's shots are him basically iso-ing. That means he doesn't score within the flow of the offense, and he also doesn't score efficiently, but he also takes the 2nd most shots on this team.

[​IMG]

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

i like what a poster said about him being a off ball point guard and think it could work. I truly think that kpj is no way just the 6th best player on team, that's your bias against him showing.

Gordon is a shell of himself, can't even get a good 1st round pick.
    Bari finally is hitting his stride, and a 3 game hotstreak can't possibly b rank higher than KPJ.
    Tari is inconsistent. He's a good player but i need to see more from him since he lacks the mins.

Man is talented enough to coexist alongside sengun and green on the starting unit as long, like u said he focuses on his strengths.

If he defers and takes the backseat to let the superior playmakers control the offense while he mainly walks the ball up the court, he is fine to me on the starting line up.
    Will it happen? probably not, silas wants kpj to b the star of the offense.

Easy likes this.