1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University of Idaho student murders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Nov 19, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This case gets more bizarre with every update.
    ______

Here's what we know -- and don't know -- about the killings

[​IMG]

As the University of Idaho mourns the loss of four students killed in an attack at an off-campus home last weekend, a community remains in crisis over few known details surrounding the students' deaths and the lack of an identified suspect.

The four students -- Ethan Chapin, 20; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Madison Mogen, 21 -- were found Sunday stabbed to death on the second and third floors of the home in Moscow, Idaho, according to authorities.

Key details on how the gruesome attacks unfolded remained unclear Friday even after the Moscow Police Department provided an update into the extensive investigation which includes federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/19/us/university-of-idaho-killings-saturday/index.html

2. Buck Turgidson

What updates do you have?

Jontro likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

The strangest one I heard today was 6 people in the house 4 of them killed in their beds and the other two didn't wake up -- also 13 total calls to a recent ex boyfriend from two of the girls right around the time they would have been crashing. The police response has been odd as well.

4. Buck Turgidson

This is really weird Ted Bundy stuff.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

'Multiple’ friends in Idaho murder house when 911 call was made, police say

Authorities investigating the murder of four University of Idaho students claimed “multiple” people spoke with 911 dispatchers before the police arrived at the spot and that two of the roommates of the victims were there at the residence at the time of the incident.

“At 11.58am, a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call originated from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates’ cell phone,” Moscow city’s police department wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday without revealing the identity of the caller.

“Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow Police officer arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found the four victims on the second and third floors,” the department added.

Police investigating the violent murders of four University of Idaho students have admitted that they’re stumped as to how the two surviving roommates managed to sleep through the brutal knife attack without being woken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-university-victims-latest-b2229622.html?amp

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Just wondering why the phone companies couldn’t see who was in the building at that time. You couldn’t arrest them based on that alone but you’d have a start. If they shut the phone off you could see who turned it off before and on after. Same principle but you’d probably have a larger group to go through.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't know how it all works, but from watching a channel on Youtube where the guy dissects events leading up to, during, and post murders, I was under the impression they can see the closest cell phone tower a phone pings off, so they can put you in a general vicinity, but they can't pinpoint your exact location.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I can see where my wife and oldest son are to a good approximation (usually the house) by GPS.

Also, what's the likelihood that Netflix is already doing the groundwork for a miniseries?

https://www.backstage.com/casting/open-casting-calls/netflix-auditions/

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

it used to be that way years ago but now they can tell pretty much within few meters where you are. Probably a privacy thing because I think you have to have a subpoena if you don’t have permission.

clos4life likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whose phones would you check?

So they were stabbed when they were sleeping. They may have all been drinking and passed out which makes it more plausible no one woke up. Getting stabbed while you are asleep - that's brutal. It could be the killer was looking for one but has to kill multiple people in the dark before they knew they got their victim? Dunno but otherwise killer would have to be familiar enough with the house to know where each victim slept. If that's the case then anyone who may have been to their house and had a grudge could be a suspect. The third possibility might be that it was just some completely random crazy person who assumed that all the bedrooms were upstairs and didn't realize there were two more people on the first floor? I don't know how the police know it was targeted, they must have some additional information they aren't sharing.

Who would target four specific college students in a house of 6? That's some powerful hate directed at least at the 3 girls given the bf was probably just sleeping over, unlucky for him.

#10 Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

they say the killer/killers were likely familiar with the house. The killings were also on the second and third floor skipping the roommates on the first floor. Doesn’t sound like someone hunting for just one person especially when all were attacked in their sleep.

something to do with money owed for cocaine/drugs?

A stalker has been mentioned recently- but I don’t know why a stalker of one would kill all four. So strange.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

if you can tell me where I was last Tuesday - at home - you can also tell me who was home with me. It’s all in the db. Now what you don’t know is what carrier’s db you need to query. That’s why you’d need to get all carrier’s to run their query. That means you’d have to subpoena each carrier for the data and I’m not sure a judge would sign off on that.

If I had access and saw who, I’d drop an anonymous tip. Even if you got the name legally or by tip, you wouldn’t have a case on that info alone.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Well - the FBI profiler is leaning to it being a stalker, so there goes my detective career.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you would essentially have to have a warrant for everyone in the country? The carrier can only give the info on an individual there is a warrant on right? @Nook

#14 Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know IT systems but I’m clueless on legal matters. I don’t know what you have to have but I can assure you that carriers (combined) have the data to say who was in the building at that time. Now if someone turned off their phone then they would be invisible but that when I said earlier you may have to see people in a 1 mile radius who turned off their phone and back on afterward. Going to be a large group but small enough to investigate. And again all this isn’t enough to change but you could then focus on suspects instead of having no idea.

If I worked at a cell carrier I’d query their backup and drop a tip. But I’m old and don’t care if I’m fired.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very disturbing. Definitely sounds like the suspect is someone familiar with the victims and the settings.

Also like the killings of the UVA football players very tragic to see young college students killed with their lives ahead of them. It makes me think of my own students and interns working for me.

Slyonebluejay and King1 like this.
  17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Am I the only one who believes there is one more killer here? How does one person brutally murder 4 people stabbing them without one of the victims either screaming their lungs out or flat out run for their life's? Just a bizarre story all the way around.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Alcohol knocks people out. Depending on how drunk they were probably didn't have a chance.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

There is alot more going on here

Rocket River

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://abcnews.go.com/US/idaho-mur...conference-friday-afternoon/story?id=95976902

A 28-year-old man, Bryan Kohberger, was arrested Friday morning in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains in connection with the murders of four University of Idaho students, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Sources said that authorities knew who they were looking for and had tracked the man down to Pennsylvania.

A SWAT team entered the location where he was staying in order to take him into custody Friday. The suspect appeared before a judge Friday morning.

Moscow police officers, members of Idaho State Police, Moscow city leaders and University of Idaho officials will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. local time Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#20 J.R., Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022