1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas really to blame or is our roster simply not that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a time to chill, Nov 19, 2022.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

It literally was Luka and shooters

2. HP3

HP3 Member

When Luka went to the bench they were destroying team.

harold bingo likes this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

We run pin downs for him to get open threes and I think thats a good idea. Once Sengun gets more touches and Green gets more pick and roll opportunities, I think you'll see more of those. Like if this is about KPJ not being efficient and taking bad shots fine, lemme just say that if we see the KPJ from last night more often, than we should def keep him, BUT if he plays like this fine...we keep tanking and go for Wemby(ideally id like for it to be both but who knows).

4. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that we started the season playing 10 of 13 games on the road… that means limited practice .. you literally don’t have time to watch tape and correct problems.

The offense provides a lot of open shots - KPJ misses wide open cuts / lobs 3-5x a game …Eag will dribble it off his foot 2-3x a game .. etc etc

Silas is doing what he’s asked to do with what Stone is providing him with.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Honestly it just doesn’t feel like the teams growing … and for me that kills the excitement. I think we all feel most of our kids are not in a position to succeed. The sooner the KPJ-PG experiment ends the better it is for everyone, especially KPJ so he can focus on his strengths.

The Yao/Francis/Cuttino and Harden/Parsons/Lin rebuild years were a hell a lot more exciting because our kids were developing well. Right now we are **** and the kids aren’t in a position to grow.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Except they aren't running that many isolation plays.

Players Isolation | Stats | NBA.com

According to NBA.com stats they average a total of 6 isolation possessions between them per game, 2.5 for Jalen and 3.5 for KPJ.
    They actually average a higher number of transition possessions per game between them - 6.1 transition to 6 isolation possessions.

They are both abysmal in conversion rate .... Jalen 31.4% and Porter 37.8% in isolation.

As a team, the Rockets only average 8.2 isolation possessions with EG and Sengun getting the remaining possessions.

Contrary they average 22.9 pick and roll possessions per game with KPJ leading the way with 9.6 per followed by Green 8.8, EG 3 and Nix 1.5.

HP3 likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For some reason, no one wants to acknowledge the impact of this.

The team looks exactly like a very talented roster full of 20 year olds who opened the season with less practice time and a much tougher schedule. I don't know what else people were expecting it to look like.

It seems like the negative people were always going to be on the negative side and things like schedule difficulty will just make them more negative, which is caveman behavior. It's like humans before astrology when they were freaking out about what they had done to cause a storm. The two things are not connected but they don't know any better.

#187 Mathloom, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  8. Rochut

Rochut Member

Is a pick and roll possession counted when the action is initiated but then KPJ bails out of it because it is foiled when the opponent takes away the first option and then goes into boom-boom hesi step back (or drives straight into two players and misses near the cup)?

AlperenSengun likes this.
  9. Rochut

Rochut Member

It would be great to see us get Scoot Henderson in the next draft and move KPJ into a 6th man role where he could really excel. He could be a killer off the bench.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The fact that the Rockets alleged stars look limited negates everything else long-term.

Role players like Eason and Martin are nice to have but Smith has looked severely limited and seems to project as role player himself, unless he builds on his GSW performance. Huge disappointment overall.

Sengun looked like he had improved a bit earlier this month but still has the same foul happy tendencies and still struggles with heavy minutes and more athletic shot blocking centers.

Green has been maddeningly inconsistent - all star in one game then 3 games of Nick Young. Still hold out some hope of him eventually being an all star level player but it's not looking as certain as it was at the end of last season. Basically he's more reliant on his 3 point shot to generate offense than i thought he'd have to be at this point.

Team needs Victor. We should trade everyone to get over a 20% chance

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

@Corrosion I have the same question. If after taking a pick kpj or green plays practically an iso, does it count into pnr? Because essentially it is how you finish it not how you initiate it.
    As I said before, I think the bigger problem is defense not offense. Turnovers, low quality shots after pnrs and isos, rather than moving the ball are main problems in offense. Transition d, perimeter d, not being able to switch correctly, pnr defense are problematic on d.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

clown world

clown coach

Nix sucks ass

ArtV, YaoMac09, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ah the shinny new toy syndrome!
    how sweet!

juts get me my fix so i can avoid all the tough thinking and figuring out...too complicated for the tanking sofisticated geniuses..lololol

alpi is a generational talent...but you stuck in 3pt worshipping
    cult cant see that

btw hows that a simmons trade away from winning the title worked for you and 76ers?
    bwwhhahahahahahh

YOUR GENERATIONAL TALENTS GOT BEATEN BY SECOND ROUNDERS AND UNDRAFTEES...

this is a comedy gold!

TO MAKE IRONY GREATER JIMMY BUTLER CANT SHOOT 3 POINTERS

yet he has beaten gods of dumbalytics and 3 pointers,
    superstars embiied and harden...

still worshipper of no midrange cult?
    lololol
    keep going....

#193 hakeem94, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i was actually impressed with the ball handling/dribbling skills shown here but as soooo typical of the fancy and complicated dribble people 99% of the time they are unable to put it to good use....

in fact their skills and ability to put it to good use are more often than not inversely proportionate....lololol

but the coaches and the fans keep falling for the fools gold.....

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This is a great stat that's being interpreted incorrectly. If your players collectively are shooting below league average in the shots they are taking, it means they aren't taking the right shots, which is literally bad coaching. It doesn't mean they aren't executing a well designed offense that maximizes the roster's strengths.

16. MystikArkitect

This team needs Wemby in the worst way unfortunately. Outside of that we'd be dealing with Scoot, Smith or Amen and *another* year of relying on the development of a skill position player which notoriously take years to flesh out. Wemby at least you can stick at the basket and tell him to swat things and spot up for 3s. If you get Wemby, you can just trade for a veteran-ish point guard with up side, move KPJ where he belongs/will thrive, and get one more long wing and go for the play-in.

If you do get Scoot/Thompson/Smith, then you still need to go get a veteran point guard and I think they're going to have to develop in a reserve role. We absolutely cannot have another year of losing culture.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is wanting to start on a team, he is selfish

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ah wemby wemby...i wonder how many people dreamt last 2 years of drafting jabari smith thinking if god would just give them this one break and they draft jabari you can just insert him whereever and he would be fine and contributing right away...after all hes an excellent 3 pt shooter and its the most important part of basketball....lolololol

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ohhhhh, I get it now. They think if we drafted Wemby then they wouldn't see negative things in him that can be projected as a disaster. They think he'd just do everything almost like a superstar and that they would have the requisite patience of waiting for him to develop a few years.

They actually don't know they'd be sh*tting on Wemby 10-20 games into the season and second guessing about why we didn't take Scoot or someone else.

Makes sense now. They think someone else is going to fix their sh*tty attitude.

HP3 and harold bingo like this.