1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Now look at his transfer options

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You keep going to high school rankings. Do you watch college football?

McCall has been a hot prospect since sophomore year and was highly recruited to power 5 schools, he chose staying at a small school over going to a big school. He’s been knocked because of it.

Next time you want to be a smart ass, be smarter

4. Fantasma Negro

Him or Jordan Love, this team has way too many holes to be taking a qb in the first round

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm fine with Jimmy G as a free agent.

We should have the cap.

Only if we draft a QB next year.

Though I'd be very happy with Young. Draft talent and worry about the injuries later. We don't have the luxury of being that picky. Young, as a 6'3" QB is the best QB prospect since Luck.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  6. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Why would we waste cap space on a qb when we could bolster the team with that cap space?

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The interesting question of spending cap on a known decent QB and drafting defense, or spending on known defensive quantities and drafting a QB.

Gotta figure out the mess of the coaching situation first. We're not going to attract any free agents with our current situation.

red5rocket and Fantasma Negro like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

They will have to do like the Jags and overpay for Christian Kirk type free agents.

9. raining threes

I've always had Williams as #1.

I'm still high on Ewers.

10. raining threes

He hurt his Pec and is playing through it.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. raining threes

Best case scenario.

He isn't on the same level as Burrow. Maybe he can get there but I doubt it.

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me you have nothing, if you do not have a QB and we're seeing the effects of that now. To take Anderson #1 and try and trade up from let's say #10 would take most draft capital this yr and some of next yrs as well. That just does not make sense. WE NEED PICKS!

Like I have always said, every player in this draft is a GAMBLE but one thing I dont worry about is size, unless it's a lineman. I would like for us to get bigger in the interior O-line and Defensive line.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I wholeheartedly agree with the thought that a QB is the most vital position on a football team. Using context however do you really feel THIS franchise is a good landing spot for any young QB right now? If you could assure me that if we draft a QB high he would be getting the best coaching and support then I would be OK with drafting ANY of the young QBs in the draft, but I feel like if thats the route you go and the decision making totem is still as/is and questionable that it would be setting up the new QB for failure.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. raining threes

If you draft the wrong QB you have nothing for at least 5 years.

I guess you don't have the ability to look at history and learn from it when it comes to QB's and size.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You don't want Jordan Love, NOBODY wants Jordan Love. Lol

The difference in Jimmy G and Young are evident. I think Young can make a good team better, whereas, a good team makes Jimmy G better.

Jimmy G needs ALL the parts around him, whereas Young just need a few pieces. I think if we draft Young, build the interior of the O-line and D-line, add another running back and a WR we can be a 8 to 9 win team next yr.

Mills lost at least 6 games by himself.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way at all for you to know this.
    Young is an unproven commodity. That’s the same as saying Levis will be a star because he has every physical tool. It’s projection

To add to that, Young hasn’t carried a talented Alabama team this year. Albeit less talented than usual, still talented.

17. raining threes

You're basically saying a midget is a better QB than a QB that's taken his team to multiple NFCCG's and a SB. SMH

Do you think the 49ers would be contenders with Lance at QB this year?

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I see UNC but who else?

19. mightybosstone

On the Young talk, I think it's crazy that posters are opposed to drafting him. Anderson is a great talent, but a great pass rushing prospect doesn't turn around a franchise. A great QB prospect does. And if Young were 2-3 inches taller, it wouldn't even be a question.

I get that there's always a risk when you draft a QB, especially with a No. 1 pick, but it's the most important position in the league and you're nothing as a franchise without one. If you lack a QB and have a legit prospect at the position worth taking a 1, you do it. And if he busts, you do it again in 2-3 years until you get it right.

We can alway talk about next year's top prospects, but you have no clue how they'll pan out. We could be sitting here in a year talking about how all those guys ended up sucking and how their draft stock plummeted. The hypothetical of next year's draft class is almost always going to seem more appealing that the current year.

Young is great. If they have the No. 1 pick, they're almost certainly taking him. Barring some major developments between now and April, they'd be crazy not to. Let's not overthink this.

#879 mightybosstone, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    cbass and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. Big Tex

Big Tex New Member

I'm going to blow all of your minds and say that Mills didn't play all that bad Sunday considering all the factors. In fact other than the first interception he showed me alot. He didn't wilt despite that opening interception. And no Mills has not lost 6 games all by himself anymore than any other QB has won 6 games all by himself.
    First of all we have some crazy standards on this board. We are comparing a 2nd year QB with limited play time in college to some of the greats. Not remotely fair. On top of that this is a terrible Team with poor coaching. And now you want to bring a 5'9" to 5'10" 186lb QB in and expect him to make us a 8-9 win Team. Huh? We must improve the interior line. May be the worst interior line play in pass pro I've ever seen. Young would get killed and that's not fair to him. I happen to think Young's a special QB but give him a chance too. If the line stinks he could get by with some special playmakers on this Team, but who are they. Cooks isn't risking his life for this Team and while both Collins and Moore have had some moments, they aren't special. Jordan Akins has been the best playmaker on this Team and he was a waiver wire pickup. Think about that! Pierce has been fantastic as a runner but not much help in the passing game. So not much help from the line, no real playmakers and coaching scheme is vanilla. They have tried to take some of that pressure off Mills by running the ball but when 10 carries for 8 yards is the best you can do you aren't going anywhere. I understand that logic but Pep doesn't seem to have any schemes for the days the running game doesn't work so Mills is a sitting duck running basic plays with nothing to help him out. That's what I see for what its worth. And our defense is too soft!! Ugh! Good coaching would make us better than this and we don't seem to be getting it.
    In closing let me say Mills hasn't thrown a single teammate under the bus and he could and it would be justified. He's not wilted and faked an injury to get out of the game. He has kept fighting with very few weapons. He's shown some flashes of very good QB play. I don't know if he'll ever meet some of your standards but he can be on my Team anytime.

raining threes likes this.