1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, if he goes I hope it’s to the NL.

The NL is strong, no idea who is gonna win their pennant next year.

raining threes and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

As someone else mentioned, I am talking about other teams free agents or even trade targets. Even when we sign our own free agents, Verlander is prob the best and there were question marks with him coming off surgery at his age. The big names with little questions, we lost out on. Cole, Springer, Correa

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That Altuve deal seems very expensive on the club side for a guy as old as him. I would be fine with 4/120 and maybe even 5/150 but man- that’s a ton of years for a guy his age. Framber deal looks good. I was saying 5/85 (I assume you are figuring about 40-45 in arb his last 3 years)?
    Tucker is light I think- don’t get why he would do that but I’d be ecstatic.
    7 year deal on Javier and 5 year deal on Abreu- yes please.

snowconeman22 and astros123 like this.
  4. Yordan The Great

Altuve 6 yrs/180 million, no thanks. And by replacing his current deal you're really paying him 134 million for those last 4 years, age 35 through 38. That's 33.5 million a year for a return you will never come close to recouping. Egad. That's a quick way to end a dynastic period.

And I love Altuve to death. But don't do the bad deal at the end of the players career move.

Altuve won't garner past 20 million per when he's a free agent.

Nook and astros123 like this.
  5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Any Kyle Tucker extensions start at 8/210 and work up from there. With the shift getting nerfed, don't act all crazy if he pops off a 900+ OPS season. He's yet to punch in a season below .800 not counting his 50 PA when he was 21. Man's a jack of all trades with no injury history. He's basically Carlos Correa but at a position of much less import.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't understand why you make those assumptions. Why assume anything other than he is gauging his value as a FA? Why assume insult and hurt feelings? It's business and both sides understand that. There is no indication of anything other than interest by several teams. Why wouldn't you expect that for the 2022 AL Cy Young Winner?

But you do have to have a backup plan and you can't wait until late in the off season to decide whether to move on or not. But at this time, the decision is still ahead, not behind.

cbass likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s fine to label it an overpay; it is probably best for Houston to hold off on extension talks with him until next offseason. But Altuve just put up a borderline MVP caliber season worth well over $50M in terms of one year production. He projects to be worth over $40M next season. Even with some significant decline he will be able to command $30M+ for that age 35 season. I agree that teams will be reluctant to pay him big money for his age 37 and 38 seasons. But by that point $30M will be considered a 2nd tier salary and not nearly impactful enough to cripple a franchise especially over 4 yrs or less.

Htown Legend likes this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Because I know people and I am an expert on high stakes negotiations. Remember, I am a global businessman with a track record of unending triumphs.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I did not know that. I was just a mere low level negotiator for a living. Please teach us mighty one.

IBTL likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not sure why Christian Walker is so popular a target. He’s coming off a career year in his age 30 season and has only one year of control after this coming season. There’s nothing I can see in his underlying 2022 numbers that show some kind of breakout. The upside is that you get 2 seasons of what he just did, which would be great, but the downside is he is what he’s been on balance over the last 8 seasons: a slightly above average bat who is an average defensive 1B; basically, what JJ Matijevic projects to be. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

If Arizona wants to do a straight up swap for Urquidy (with maybe a 2nd tier prospect throw-in) then I’m ok with it. But if they want a package starting with Brown or Garcia plus prospects, that seems like a really bad deal for Houston.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is that English speaking current Astro outfielder (at least as of early 2022) still as high on Meyers as he was back then?

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was pretty solid in 2019 & 2020. While his offensive profile is different, he gives you basically what Yuli has.

It does depend on what the cost would be. Matijevic & a middling prospect or 2 is a deal that makes sense.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah. So your deal is basically 5/160 after his arbitration years. I like it ok. I wonder if he’d rather do 8/210 or 10/250? I’d give him either.

14. Nook

Nook Member

He has expanded his list.

15. Nook

Nook Member

LOL The Padres **** blocked Click from getting Bell and that played a big part in Click leaving.... and now the Padres are trying to **** block Crane from getting another first baseman, in Jose Abreu. FWIW If the Padres really want him, they likely will out bid the Astros, they have been willing to over pay guys.

I hope the Astros get Abreu, he is a PERFECT fit in the line up and the locker room.... but if the Astros lose out on him, I would assume they would talk to Bell.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Walker a lot.

But 1B is the easiest and cheapest position to fill.

Urquidy is a maybe Garcia or Brown is laughable unless you are talking about a package that also includes one if their CFers.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Christian Walker is an interesting player.

At first glance he seems like another middling player that plays first base but had a really good year for him and will return to what he was before. The game is littered with guys like him, Morales, Tellez, Cron, Voit, Vogelbach.

On the other hand, he is a very good fielder, his strike outs are high but not massively high and his OBP isn't ideal, but it isn't far off of Tucker this past season.

Stoic Rob, PiPdAdY33 and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

Abreu over everyone else.
    Get er done click, err crane

Jeremy Williams and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The way I look at it, IF JV returns payroll becomes an issue.

Outside of Maldy, Stanek, and Maton there are no Free Agents after 2023 on the roster.

That means due to natural raises, if CBT is hit in 2023 it will automatically be 2nd year penalties after 2024 which is not desirable for a team trying to rebuild the farm system and focuses on international free agents.

Therefore trading a SP for a young controllable 1B is preferable to a FA that would cost more in salary

Since any young 1B will have plusses and minuses ( a 5 tool guy simply won't be traded) then one that has valuable power and defense to offset the lack of OB and relatively high Ks is a good return.

Again this is only if JV resigns

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

The Astros only have a few bullets when it comes to spending when they can get similar performance without spending.

One of those bullets was used to bring back Montero.

The Astros need a corner outfielder and/or a 1st baseman and maybe a catcher.

The Astros are likely to have Maldonado catch 60% of the games if he returns.

So logistically they will likely not spend a lot on a catcher unless it is Contreras who they would split time between catching and 1st/DH

I could see them sign someone like Conforto or even possibly Bellinger to a one year deal to play the outfield, as a way to get around the tax issues long term.

I agree with you on Verlander - if Verlander had already signed, we likely would have already seen Abreu or someone similar signed to the Astros.