1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith is a rhythm player, he has to be involved, the more he’s involved the better he shoots… the problem is starting him with KPJ JG and EG … he’s the 4th / 5th option and goes 3-6 minutes without touching the ball despite posting up or cutting.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Data isn't on yours either hence it's premature reactionary nonsense.

It's way too small of a sample size of games to being judging a rookie.

FLAGRANT1, JayGoogle and clutchdabear like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Got a good look tonight at the good Jabari.

Im still bullish on him being Elie 3&D as a floor and who knows as his ultimate ceiling.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So you are actually saying the writers themselves mean it in a different way than they wrote, this is good comedy.

The links literally showed it was split and betting odds too? Funny you ignore that and still lie.

I didn't even watch the first months of last season and call him a bust here, but thanks for making up my opinion just to create a fake strawman.

I haven't, but thanks for the second made-up statement and strawman. I guess that's the only way you can argue here, just blatantly making up bs.

So now you are changing from "most mock drafts didn't have him #1" to "they did have him #1, but I'll make up secret GM drafts we never heard of and say actually Paolo was #1".

The way you argue is really something, just continuously making up lies, not sticking to one point and twisting facts constantly. Last time I've replied to you, really pointless.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

On and off rating is one of the dumber stats ever tracked.

Anyone remember the Pelican game where Green cooked CJ and locked him up as well? Yeah Green was negative that game and CJ was very positive. Useless.

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The sideway 2-dribble pull up. That's his shot.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm saying it contradicts, yes, thats what a contradiction is.

Because I said which scout had Jabari OVER Paolo. A TIE then would not contradict what I've said.

I said people LIKE YOU, not you yourself. As in impatient fans that don't know any better.

Dude, let's not act like since the draft you haven't been focused on 'critiquing' Jabari.

You've put yourself in the position of needing him to fail to prove yourself right.

No, you're literally changing what I'm saying lol. Quote me where I said "Most mock drafts didn't have him #1" go ahead, find the quote...

My point was you can't say he was the consensus #1 pick because he didn't even go #1. No, we don't need secret GM drafts because we had an actual draft where he went #3. There is no proof that most teams had him at the top of their board, we have no idea if it was 50/50, 40/60, or whatever. You're the one making the claim that needs proof and I'm the one relying on what actually happened in the draft. For all you and I know there could have been plenty of teams, like OKC and Orlando, that had him behind Chet and Paolo. It was always close between these three players.

Lol, the projection here....

Kind of odd (but predictable) that Jabari had a good game last night and wasn't a peep out of you...but you'll tell others you're not a hater at all...

I honestly don't care if you reply to me or not, it's not that big of a deal to me either way. I don't know why people always have to announce this, i'll be fine either way.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think Jabari has been disastrous and has huge bust potential - but like I've said before using plus minus for the Rockets starters vs bench is so misleading given the quality of the opposition.

There's no better example than last night. Going against insane mode Klay Thompson will destroy anybody's plus minus, especially when he sits and the Warriors second unit is like.... Moses Moody and Anthony Lamb.

jiggyfly and Y2JT like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm 100% sure we have a star on our hands, but if I'm being honest, a lot of those shots were mediocre selection and he was lucky they fell as often as they did.

He's going to be much better than this game. Rounding into form now.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Regarding plus minus - it’s become painfully obvious that our starting lineup doesn’t work as constructed. They continually get shelled in the first several minutes of the game. Pace sucks, space sucks and defense sucks. each of the five has selfish tendencies wanting their own shots to an extent and movement is poor.

Then the goon squad comes in with great energy and things slowly come together.

Personally - I would can the pairing of Sengun and Bari and look to bring Garuba into the starting lineup. Tari also needs to be on the floor more with Bari as it really turns up the defense and intensity. I’d also never play Tate again, but that’s a different story.

Shark44 and Y2JT like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

100 percent? Damn

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Smith showed his potential last night. If he focuses on his mid range and build from there his 3’s will come along. He can regularly punish smaller defenders in the post if he’s featured more on offense.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

One hundred percent man.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari Smith hasn’t been good so far this year but it isn’t shocking. Part of the reason Smith fell to 3rd is because he is dependent on his teammates for him to score a lot. He doesn’t put the ballon the floor and create like a lot of stars. He is an elite shooter and can shoot over and around defenders, but he needs teammates to pass to him and utilize and create spacing. Unfortunately for Smith he has KPJ and Green primarily passing and creating for him. Green has some basic understanding of give and go and spacing, but KPJ really doesn’t. As a result there is no consistency for Smith to thrive in. Also having poor coaching doesn’t help either.

Richie_Rich, zeeshan2, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We thought Smith's skill set would fit any team. Now we realize that we should add one more word: Smith's skill set would fit any GOOD team.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You don't know that for sure, maybe those good ones want a ready player who can actually be efficient from his first day onward?

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I mean assuming he can shoot. I still can't believe a good shooter can suddenly become a bad shooter. The thinking is, what team doesn't need a good shooting defender who doesn't keep the ball in his hand?

And if he was on a good team, even if he struggled with his shot at the beginning, he would probably be coming off the bench without a lot of pressure.