1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tucker wants to paid, big time. Unless he has a significant falloff, with his age and all around game he will easily command 250 million when he hits FA only heading into his age 29 season. Any free agent years he gives away really cuts into his earning potential, so we would have to pay a huge premium unless we give him the mega contract, which we haven't shown a willingness to do. Likewise Javier looks like he could be an elite pitcher an will also hit free agency at 29.

On paper Framber seems like the most feasible to extend. He will be heading into his age 32 season when he gets to free agency, so he's not likely to command a long mega contract. Absolutely no clue as to what Frambers (or the Astros) mindset is on the matter, but if we offered him 6/150 or so to buy out 3 years of free agency it would be pretty hard to pass up.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

6 for 150 is a huge huge huge overpay right now. He’s going to make about 50 in his 3 remaining arb years so that’s a 3/100 year contract today at 29 when he won’t start it until he’s 32. Combine that with the shift going away and extreme GB pitchers aging in dog years and that would be gross managerial malpractice on the part of the Astros. If he pitches so well in the next 3 years that he would warrant a 3/100 contract at 32 years old you shake his hand and decide to make the offer or not but you sure don’t make him that kind of offer right now.

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I would settle for extending Tucker and Javier due to budget restraint and a shot at JV.

4. prospecthugger

I think Dubon is worth keeping around. As pathetic as he's been offensively, he doesn't strike out excessively, nor is he allergic to walks. Steamer actually projects him to be near average offensively. If he can reach that with his defensive versatility, he's a valuable player.

5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Any intreast in Evan Longoria as a bench guy for 1B 3b and dh

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Longeria reportedly said he's only considering San Francisco, Tampa Bay, or Arizona. So if those teams pass on him, perhaps he retires.

7. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Not that I want him, but:

15-year veteran Evan Longoria has adjusted his free agent wishes, with Jon Heyman of the New York Post reporting that Longoria, “hopes to play one or two more years and is open to any competitive team.” Bob Nightengale of USA Today had previously reported that Longoria was only considering the Giants, Rays, and Diamondbacks as potential free agent landing spots.

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Please no, we aren’t bottom feeders.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He doesn't offer enough to bypass utility candidate prospects in my opinion. And if we do retain a utility player, it would be A Diaz, not Dubon. Our 26th man should not be out of options.

10. Yordan The Great

As much as I love Framber there is no way you pay him $25 million a year way ahead of when he's a free agent. You look at the Yordan deal and we got him for $19 million per because the increase is built in since he's getting paid ahead of when he was due.

So the similar deal for Framber right now it's probably in the 18-20 million range, certainly not 25 million. That would be an unforced error on our part. This is probably what we offered Tucker and he should have taken it.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Tucker would be a total idiot to take that. As Sealclubber1016 said, Tucker will likely be a multi-time all-star and gold glover by the time he hits FA at 28 (entering his age 29 season). He has no injury history. He'll likely get a $200m + contract and be deserving of it.

While I think $25m AAV for Framber is high considering 3 years are arb years, I would be fine with 6/$130m or maybe even a little more. I feel like there's a cognitive dissonance between people pounding their chests to give JV a 3 year/$120-130m contract at his age vs paying Framber nearly the same amount over 6 years. If I'm overpaying one of those two, Framber is the safer bet IMHO.

12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Why bottom feeders?
    He's hit 27 homers over the course of the last 170 games.
    Been injured a bit.
    Former gold glover.
    Borderline Hall of famer.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Mets, dealing with several holes in their rotation, including the possible loss of ace right-hander Jacob deGrom, spoke with Verlander by Zoom last week, according to major-league sources.

Verlander, obviously, is not only on the Mets’ radar. The World Series champion Astros want him back. The Dodgers and possibly the Yankees are among the other clubs that view him as an attractive short-term, high-dollar investment. Verlander was ineligible for a qualifying offer after receiving one last season, so any team that signs him would avoid forfeiting draft picks and international bonus pool space. (Rodón received a qualifying offer, and the Mets extended such offers to deGrom, Bassitt and Brandon Nimmo, qualifying for compensation if they depart).

Nook and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My max extension offers:

Framber: $70M/4yrs (buys out 1 free agent year thru age 32)
    Javier: $65M/5yrs (buys out 2 free agent years thru age 30) -or- $110M/7yrs (buys out 4 free agent years thru age 32)
    Tucker: $70M/4yrs (buys out 1 free agent year thru age 29)
    Altuve: $180M/6yrs (replaces current deal and buys out 4 free agent years thru age 38)
    Abreu: $38M/5yrs (buys out 1 free agent years thru age

Wulaw Horn and Htown Legend like this.
  15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Bregman?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really don’t see a realistic match for Bregman. An extension would only buy out free agent years in his 30s and I assume Breggy still sees himself as a MVP caliber player. I do not think he will age well and unfortunately I think his best years are already behind him. Unless he is just desperate to stay in Houston I don’t see him being a good value after his current contract.

17. Jeremy Williams

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/mauricio-dubon-643289?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Dubon is a good fielder. He will not be replaced now that he has been tendered a contract.

18. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Honestly if Verlander leaves I hope he goes to the Mets. They are zero threat to us.

IBTL, cmlmel77 and The Real Shady like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

At this point we must assume that Crane made an offer and Verlander found it unacceptable. Verlander is now shopping around. Seems unlikely that he would return to Houston... for a few reasons: 1) Possible feeling of being disrespected by the offer; 2) Did Crane leave the door open?; 3) Houston must make plans and pursue other players... will money be left over for Verlander after those potential moves?

I am fine with letting Verlander walk -- it's a loss, no doubt, but he's on the wrong side of 40 and father time is undefeated. He pitched essentially 1 of the last 3 seasons. His playoff performances have been shaky. It's a lot of money that would take away from other areas where we must improve in order to contend.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

• The Astros, after losing out on Rizzo, have continuing interest in José Abreu, who also is a “top priority” for the Padres, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.

Abreu, who turns 36 on Jan. 29, had career-lows with 15 homers and a .446 slugging percentage last season. But he remains an effective offensive player, as evidenced by his .378 on-base percentage, the second-highest of his career, and 133 OPS+, his best over a full season since 2017.